Best Stick Vacuums: 5 Excellent Options For Homeowners
Stick vacuums are portable, lightweight devices that rival their upright counterparts’ cleaning abilities. These versatile tools make excellent primary options in cleaning homes, but they can also serve as a secondary option if a full-sized vacuum seems too much of a hassle to use for cleaning up a small mess.
The problem for most homeowners when looking for a stick vacuum is that there many models available. Yes, the staggering assortment can be great but it can also make the selection process a lot more confusing as you wouldn’t know what to get!
Quick Comparison Table & Our Pick
This as you would expect from us is an EPIC post so grab a coffee before you start and see how we cut through every product and review it with precision. IF YOU ARE SHORT ON TIME and just need to know the results of our reviews , CHECK THE RESULTS TABLE BELOW!
Better maneuverabiliy and cleaning efficiency all surfaces
Specially designed to capture pet hair
For effortless glide on both hard floors and carpets
Other Great Recommendations
Delivers high performance cleaning on hard floors and carpets
For use on carpet, bare floors, stairs and upholstery
The Best Stick Vacuums In The Market That Money Can Buy
You’re now ready to make a selection! Check out the best stick vacuums currently available for purchase on Amazon below. All of the products we've listed impressed us and we know you’ll love them, too!
The Eureka NES215A is a popular vacuum stick for good reasons. For one, it comes with a 3-in-1 design. With this feature and with the onboard crevice tool, you can customize this vacuum to do a specific task a bit better. It's also lightweight, weighing only 4 pounds. This is a significant factor as the heavier the vacuum gets, the quicker you become fatigued.
The company behind the Eureka NES215A graced it with their signature swivel ability, which dramatically enhances its cleaning efficiency and maneuverability.
The Eureka NES215A also has a large nozzle. Hence, it does an excellent job at picking up debris, rather than just pushing it around. The design makes it especially useful for hardwood floors and low-pile carpets.
The unit comes with an 18-inch power cord. It's not the longest, but it should be suitable for most users. It also carries an XL dust cap. When shopping for a vacuum stick, it's best that you take notice of the dust bag. This is because the smaller it is, the more time you will need for unloading. This can significantly slow you down.
There's no single vacuum stick that's perfect for everyone, and the Eureka NES215A is not an exception. Thankfully, there are no glaring downsides with this unit. Perhaps you might find an issue with the filter. If it gets really dirty, you may have to wash and dry it or buy a new one before you can use the unit. Also, the Eureka NES215A only does an "okay" job at vacuuming thick carpets. To be fair, this is a handheld vacuum and you will need a much more powerful suctioning power to clean thick carpets effectively.
- Versatile with its 3-in-1 design
- XL dust cap
- Works very good for hardwood floors
- Filters need to be from the manufacturer
- Not excellent at cleaning thick carpets
Shark Rocket DuoClean Ultra-Light Corded Vacuum (HV382)
The most impressive feature of the Shark Rocket DuoClean Vacuum is its surprisingly strong suction, which is why it landed a spot on our list of the best stick vacuums of 2019. It's not just us as our sentiment echoes with thousands of other users of the vacuum. Its power is rare for a stick vacuum. If you consider the fact that it’s a compact unit, then you'd really be amazed by its suction's strength as well.
The product, with its DuoClean Technology, is an all-around cleaner as it sucks everything from large debris to granular dust. This cleaning efficiency can also be credited to its new and improved brush roll. The nozzle of this vacuum has two different brush rolls: the soft one and the bristle brush, which is tasked with agitating dirt and dust to be sucked by the strong motor.
The Shark Rocket DuoClean has two suction modes. The first setting is for small area rugs and bare floors. As for the second setting, it unleashes the motor's full power, making it ideal for cleaning up high pile carpets.
The motor of the unit consumes 600 watts. As for its bin, it can hold 0.25 gallons, enough to vacuum up to six rooms without experiencing any issues. The container is also quick and easy to both empty and clean.
Measuring 10.2 x 9.8 x 46.4 inches and weighing 9.9 pounds when it’s completely assembled (it weighs 5 pounds if used as a hand vacuum), it’s a bit heavy. Still, it's an effective cleaner and you'll soon find it to be your favorite buddy with its cleaning ability.
- Powerful suction
- Versatile - handheld and upright
- Washable filters
- Performs well on any surface
- Some find the vacuum too heavy
Dyson V8 Absolute Stick Vacuum Cleaner
Another stick vacuum that can serve your cleaning needs regardless of whether you have lots of carpeted surfaces or bare floors is the Dyson V8. It'll be the only vacuum you'll ever need as it's strong with a power that's similar to that of a full-size vacuum.
We've also found Dyson V8 to be fast in sucking different types of particles such as sand, rice, and cereal. When it arrives on your doorstep, you'll find that it comes with lots of tools that a cleaning aficionado will most definitely appreciate. There's the main direct-drive head for cleaning and there’s the soft roller head as well which is woven nylon in construction and added with carbon fiber filaments. We love how the soft roller was gentle on our hardwood floors.
Its mini motorized tool is also something to love with the unit as it’s ideal for upholstery. As for its soft dusting brush, it’s designed for the cleaning of electronics as well as other delicate surfaces.
You will find lots of time to play with the accessories as one charge of its lithium-ion batteries can last for more than 30 minutes. Its run time is impressive considering the fact that it has a very powerful motor.
Nobody likes hearing the annoying high-pitched noise that most vacuums make. Fortunately, that kind of noise can't be heard from this unit because its motor has an acoustic felt that absorbs vibrations. It also has streamlined airways which reduce turbulence around this model's motor control board.
- Easy to maneuver
- Comes in a complete package
- Power suction
- Makes cleaning easier with its cordless design
- Price is a bit steep
Bissell Air Ram 1984 Cordless Vacuum
Next up is Bissell Air Ram 1984 Cordless Vacuum, which made it on our list of the best stick vacuums because of its versatility and high-powered performance. It's equipped with a brush roll that works in several different types of surfaces from rugs and carpets to hardwood, tiles, and bare floors.
The unit also makes use of Bissell's Suction Sweep Technology which allows this stick vacuum to pick up any dirt and debris within your home including litter and pet hair. Unlike most cordless vacuums, it offers a full 30-minute cleaning session and its battery is rechargeable and replaceable. If you want your vacuum to last longer, simply purchase an additional battery.
Additionally, this model is lightweight, so it's easy to use and convenient. Its handle can lay flat so it reaches under furniture. The entire unit is compact so you won't have to worry about its storage as it takes little footprint.
Yes, this is a cordless unit so there's no chance of any cord to get tangled on objects while you're moving around and cleaning your home.
It also has LED footlights so you don't miss a spot when you're cleaning at night. The unit can be operated effortlessly with the power button that’s found on its powerhead. It's accessible even with your foot.
We've also found the handle to push down easily with just a press of one button. But the best feature of the Bissell AirRam is the powerful motor which is strategically placed near its brush roll. The reason why we like this is because it results in uninterrupted power! Top that with an affordable price and you'll definitely find this model irresistible.
- 30-minute run time
- Folds flat to clean surfaces under furniture
- Lightweight and has an agile design
- The felt filter takes longer to dry
Bissell Lightweight Stick and Hand Vacuum Cleaner
One of the more affordable options in our list is Bissell's 3-in-1 Lightweight Vacuum Cleaner. For a quality stick vacuum that belongs on the price spectrum's lower end, its suction is surprisingly powerful. It can handle sand, pet hair, and cat litter without any issue.
As its name suggests, it’s lightweight even with its 2-ampere motor. It's also versatile, so it makes an incredible option for most households. This model has a 15-foot cord so it has a long reach. Add its 4-lb weight and it's undeniably a mobile unit.
Another thing its users appreciate with this stick vacuum is its convertible ability, which lets you complete a wide range of tasks in a single session. Its handle quickly releases as well, so it's easy to remove.
If your home is medium-sized, you will find the vacuum a godsend as it lets you clean several rooms and floors easily from the fact that it can be carried around. For a larger home, it makes for an excellent supplement, especially for quick cleanups and emergencies.
Also, it's worth mentioning that the unit doesn't have a cord rewind mechanism as that would most definitely increase this unit's price from its weight and mechanical complexity.
The main cleaning nozzle of the unit is 9.44 inches wide. It's narrow enough that it can easily clean stairs, tables, chairs, and under furniture pieces, and it’s also wide enough that it can clean large areas quickly.
The dirt cup of Bissell's 3-in-1 stick vacuum is transparent, so one glance is all it takes to know if it's time to empty the cup.
- Multipurpose vacuum cleaner
- Has a quick release handle
- No cord rewinding mechanism
Stick Vacuums Buying Tips
You probably know already that it isn’t wise to purchase the first stick vacuum that you see on Amazon.
To make an informed buying decision, these are the things that you must keep in mind:
Corded vs. Cordless
The power source affects the portability and suction power of a stick vacuum. Generally, the more powerful a unit is, the better its suction.
The corded stick vacuum provides the most suction and power. Corded models are also lighter as they don’t have batteries. But a better battery design can now be seen in cordless models so they can be lightweight like corded units. The problem with a cordless unit is its run time, which is limited. A corded stick vacuum, on the other hand, has one downside and that’s the fact that the cord limits where and when the cleaning equipment can be used.
A battery-powered or cordless stick vacuum offers you the best portability. It’s the easiest to maneuver and carry around from one floor and room to another. It can be used on stairs as well as areas that are hard to reach. Like mentioned earlier, it can be a heavy model compared to a corded unit depending on the kind of battery it has. A battery-powered unit can also start losing suction as its power runs out.
- Battery Life- After two years, a battery can’t hold a charge anymore. At that point, you need to decide if it’s worth replacing your stick vacuum’s battery. Otherwise, you’d have to purchase a new vacuum.
- Voltage- A vacuum with 18V or higher for its voltage tends to perform better.
- Charging or Docking Station- There are stick vacuums that you can plug into an outlet directly for recharging. Others have their own docking or charging stations. A wall-mounted docking station will let you save floor space. It’s also easy to access.
- Price - A nickel-cadmium battery is the least expensive, but it needs replacement more often. For a nickel-metal hydride battery and a lithium-ion battery, they last longer but they’re also more expensive.
- Runtime- A model that has a run time of 30 minutes offers great use and versatility. If you only have small messes, then 10 to 20 minutes of run time will be enough.
- Canister Cleaning and Removal Stick vacuums use bagless canisters, which should be quick and easy to empty and remove. A one-handed disposal feature provides even more convenience like the one-button release.
- Filter Cleaning, Removal, and Replacement Your stick vacuum’s filter should be quick and easy to remove, access, replace, and clean. If you have a pet or a family member that has allergies, opt for a stick vacuum that has a HEPA filter as it’s capable of removing most allergens.
- Brush A brushless model relies solely on its suction for cleaning. This means you need 18V or above for the stick vacuum to clean effectively. A brushless vacuum is best suited for sucking dust and cleaning surface dirt, most especially on hardwood flooring. A unit that comes with a brush works on both carpeted and smooth surfaces. Take note that a stick vacuum doesn’t perform the best on a carpeted surface compared to traditional vacuums. If your floors are made of hardwood, make sure that you get a vacuum with a brush that shuts off so that it doesn’t inflict any damage to the wood.
- 2-in-1 Feature A stick vacuum often converts into a handheld vacuum by separating the head from its main body. Handheld vacuums work incredibly well behind furniture, in vehicles, and on stairs. There are models that come with an extension hose. A handheld vacuum added with an extension tube can be used to clean drapes.
- Maneuverability A stick vacuum that’s easy to maneuver is lightweight, weighing more or less 4 pounds. The best stick vacuums which we will feature below all come with an ergonomic design for ease of use. A stick vacuum provides an excellent option for people with medical conditions like arthritis that weaken joints and for those with limited mobility. A swivel head can also help maneuver under furniture and around tough corners.
- Power Switch A power switch is a lot easier to use compared to a trigger that needs constant pressure. If you are experiencing mobility issues, then you most definitely need this feature in your stick vacuum.
Keep these factors in mind if you decide to buy a cordless stick vacuum:
- Tools and Accessories The best stick vacuums come with crevice tools that can be used in between cushions as well as at the creases of staircases. Other tools that are added to quality stick vacuums include extension tubes, pet hair brushes, dusting brushes, as well as squeegee tools. Check how the tools and accessories are stored as storage that’s built-in may add weight. Still, built-in storage is the most convenient option.
- Wet or Dry Option Some stick vacuums can clean wet material. More often than not, they come with separate bins for wet and dry messes, which also require separate cleaning. All parts of the vacuums should be dried adequately to prevent mold.
- Surface Type Before you make your final decision, make sure that the model you will be getting fits your home as there are vacuums that are strong performers when they’re used on bare floors but won’t pick up messes and dirt on carpets. A lack of power or suction on specific surfaces would result in debris and dirt being left behind.
- Noise A stick vacuum is often smaller compared to traditional upright vacuums; however, it can be as loud as full-sized units! Consider a device’s noise level, especially if noise bothers your family.
- Longevity Do you plan on using your stick vacuum for years? If so, then invest in a quality cleaning device instead of purchasing the cheapest unit you can find. Gauge a model’s durability and compare it to its price. If it’s durable and reliable but it costs a couple of bucks more, we would suggest you splurge a bit as a cleaning buddy that you can depend on is life-changing and worth every penny.
FAQs On The Best Stick Vacuums
What are the features that work best on drapes, under furniture, and on stairs?
Convertible models, the ones that become handheld vacuums, make cleaning stairs and vehicles easy. Another great option is a unit that has a small head and can clean stairs with just one swipe. You will most likely want your vacuum to come with a crevice tool as it lets you reach corners of stairs. To clean drapes, an extension tube that has a brush tool would work best. To reach under your furniture, a lay-flat swivel head would be best.
How long can a battery-powered unit run with one charging?
This will depend on a lot of factors including the kind of battery used. The run time of stick vacuums differs from one unit to another. In general, you’ll be able to expect 15 minutes of use from a NiCd battery. For NiMH and Li-Ion batteries, they run up 40 minutes. A vacuum with a power boost runs out of power faster compared to the ones that only use suction. Remember that as a battery gets older, it’ll start losing power faster.
What should my stick vacuum have in terms of features if I have arthritis?
Just make sure that you get a lightweight stick vacuum. The lightest models weigh approximately four pounds. If possible, opt for one that also comes with an ergonomic handle design to prevent pain and fatigue in your wrists and hands. As mentioned earlier, the power switch must not require you to constantly apply pressure on the button in order to run the vacuum.
Previously we had the Eureka Blaze Swivel Handheld & Stick Vacuum as our best pick. It made it to the list because of the three-in-one operation, durability, and large storage. It is still a good vacuum if you are cleaning a hard floor and in need of more storage options. However, the other peer to our previous pick comes from the same company. The Eureka Blaze Stick Vacuum Cleaner is one of the leading brands on the market.
It shares many similarities with the previous best pick, which is why it has a good reputation from satisfied users. Unlike the former that works on hard floors only, this one will still clean your carpet.
The capture nozzles on this model pick up large debris, making the unit different from the rest that focus on push and move particles around. It uses a powerful motor and has a long cord to make your cleaning efficient. You can try it out and see the value of your investment.
Whether a cordless or corded model best suits your lifestyle, we guarantee you'll love all the cleaning tools we featured above as they're all reliable! Personally, our preference would fall on Shark Rocket HV382 as its suction power is impressive and it's easy to use as well. If you're on a tight budget and you just want the most affordable yet reliable vacuum cleaner available, then your best option would be the Eureka NES215A.