A standard push lawn mower, on average, takes 2-3 hours to mow an acre of land. Besides, it often struggles with long grass and obstacles like rocks. If you’re looking for an alternative, a riding lawn mower is what you should switch to.
Unlike push and walk-behind models, you can drive a riding mower like any automobile and get the job done without feeling exhausted. In addition, the latter accepts multiple accessories for your sheer convenience. For instance, a lawn aerator, a utility cart for the tools, a snow blower, a fertilizer spreader, a yard sweeper, and more.
If you’re also inclined towards a riding lawn mower, ditch the research work, and check out these best riding lawn mowers for 1 acre. So, let’s start.
Table Of Contents
- 1 How to Choose the Best Riding Lawn Mower for 1 Acre?
- 2 4 Best Riding Lawn Mower for 1 Acre – Summary
- 3 Best Riding Lawn Mower for 1 Acre – 4 Top Expert Picks
- 4 1. Best Overall Lawn Mower for 1 Acre
- 5 2. Best Entry Level Lawn Mower for 1 Acre
- 6 3. Best Lawn Mower for 1 Acre, Hills & Difficult Terrains
- 7 4. Best Electric Lawn Mower for 1 Acre
- 8 Best Riding Lawn Mower Brands to Check Out
- 9 Useful Maintenance & Care Tips for Your Riding Lawn Mower
- 10 Safety Tips to Mind When Using a Riding Lawn Mower
- 11 Best Riding Lawn Mower for 1 Acre: FAQs
- 12 Conclusion
- Riding lawn mowers is a better bet than push or walk-behind mowers for 1 acre.
- They are multi-purpose mowers and compatible with most mower-ready accessories to take care of the property in a better way.
- RYOBI, Toro, Cub Cadet, and John Deere are the best riding lawn mower brands for 1 acre.
- Troy-Bilt Bronco 42″ 19 HP Briggs and Stratton Engine Automatic Drive Gas Riding Lawn Mower is ideal for homeowners and professionals. For those on a budget, the Weibang E-Rider 30″ 72V Lithium-Ion Battery Electric Rear Engine Riding Mower is worth every penny.
How to Choose the Best Riding Lawn Mower for 1 Acre?
Here’s how you get your hands on the best riding lawn mower for 1 acre.
Riding lawn mowers can be gas or battery-powered. Both have pros and cons. For example, gasoline-powered mowers deliver maximum power for an extended run time but emit toxic fumes and require timely maintenance.
Conversely, electric mowers use a rechargeable Li-ion or lead acid battery for power, don’t emit any fumes, are quieter, and are nearly maintenance-free. However, they cost more. So, choose wisely.
Next comes the deck width of the riding lawn mower. The more the deck width, the less the mowing time. For 1 acre, I recommend a 30″ to 42″ deck width since it’ll allow the mower easy access to tight spaces, borders, and obstacles.
Riding lawn mowers mostly have 4 types of transmissions. These are manually geared, hydrostatic, automatic, and electric. Manually geared transmission is the most difficult to master and, thus, not recommended.
Among the remaining three, I prefer either electric or automatic, especially for flat lawns. For hilly terrains, go for hydrostatic.
Cutting Height Adjustment
The cutting height adjustment feature lets you adjust the cutting blades’ height for the best cut. It can be both manual and automatic.
For the best ride quality, always look for high-back seats, armrests, a cup holder, and comfortable seat suspensions. Remember, the ride quality can’t be neglected for long mowing sessions.
Let’s now look at the best riding lawn mowers for 1 acre.
Related: 5 Best Commercial Zero Turn Mowers – Top Picks for Your Yard
4 Best Riding Lawn Mower for 1 Acre – Summary
- Best Overall – Troy-Bilt Bronco 42″ 19 HP Briggs and Stratton Engine Automatic Drive Gas Riding Lawn Mower
- Best Entry Level – RYOBI 48V Brushless 38″ 100 Ah Battery Electric Rear Engine Riding Lawn Mower
- Best For Hills & Difficult Terrains – RYOBI 48V Brushless 30″ 50 Ah Battery Electric Rear Engine Riding Mower
- Best Electric – Weibang E-Rider 30″ 72V Lithium-Ion Battery Electric Rear Engine Riding Mower
Best Riding Lawn Mower for 1 Acre – 4 Top Expert Picks
Here are the most budget-friendly, advanced, and heavy-duty riding lawn mowers reviewed for 1 acre.
1. Best Overall Lawn Mower for 1 Acre
Troy-Bilt Bronco 42″ 19 HP Briggs and Stratton Engine Automatic Drive Gas Riding Lawn Mower
- Turning Radius: 18″
- Type: Gas
- Engine: Briggs and Stratton
- Deck Details: 42″, 13-gauge steel, stamped
- Power: 19 HP
- Mowing Speed: 5.5 mph (F), 2.5 mph (R)
Featuring a reliable 544 cc single-cylinder Briggs and Stratton engine, 42″ deck width, and auto transmission, the Troy-Bilt Bronco 42″ 19 HP Briggs and Stratton Engine Automatic Drive Gas Riding Lawn Mower is truly a one-of-a-kind riding mower.
Designed specifically for homeowners looking for a compact lawn mower for their 1-acre yard, this riding mower comes with an automobile-like AutoDrive transmission for a smooth drive. Besides, you’ll also adore its “Step-Thru” frame design that enhances the overall legroom and provides easier on-and-off access to the mower.
The deck, in my opinion, is decently sized at 42″, and the tough 13-gauge steel construction is like icing on the cake. Thus, rest assured of no dents or scratches on the deck, even if you accidentally bump into a nearby tree or rock. Talking about the turning radius, it’s a small 18″, giving you complete control around landscape borders and obstacles.
Being a riding lawn mower, it accepts a wide range of accessories, from a rear bagger for grass clippings and leaves to snow blowers. However, the more accessories you add, the slower your mower will get. So, I recommend a single accessory at a time since the mower’s mowing speed is already on the slower side, at 5.5 mph.
Other important aspects of the mower include 5-point deck height adjustments, a twin blade system, a comfortable mid-back seat, and automatic headlights for better night visibility.
- Compatible with a wide range of accessories
- More legroom for maximum mowing comfort
- Better ground traction is a plus point for hilly terrains
- Automatic transmission for a smoother drive
- Non-fabricated deck
- No armrest
Check out Troy-Bilt Bronco 42″ 19 HP Briggs and Stratton Engine Automatic Drive Gas Riding Lawn Mower price on Home Depot.
2. Best Entry Level Lawn Mower for 1 Acre
RYOBI 48V Brushless 38″ 100 Ah Battery Electric Rear Engine Riding Lawn Mower
- Turning Radius: 16″
- Type: Electric
- Deck Details: 38″, 12-gauge steel, stamped
- Mowing Speed: 8 mph (F), 3 mph (R)
If you’re a fan of electric lawn mowers and want to invest in the most premium option, check out the RYOBI 48V Brushless 38″ 100 Ah Battery Electric Rear Engine Riding Lawn Mower.
With a powerful 100 Ah lead acid battery, you get a decent 2.5 hours of run time on a complete charge. However, this complete charge will take 17.5 hours from your standard 120V outlet – a con. Thus, many improvements are needed here.
The deck is 38″ wide and constructed from heavy-duty 12-gauge steel to withstand constant wear and tear. In addition, it comprises a dual-blade system to finely cut all unwanted grass like a pro using the 12-position manual deck adjustments from 1.5″ to 4.5″. Had it been automatic, it would have been better.
Since this riding lawn mower is mainly engineered for flat and obstacle-free lawns, its built-in cruise control feature is worth a try. Simply set the mower to any desired speed, activate the cruise control from the control panel, and get your hands off the steering wheel (if going straight) for a nice mowing experience.
The twin LED headlights are also aesthetically built and bright enough to keep you working in dim conditions without worrying about illumination. Lastly, there’s also a USB port to keep your gadgets charged up.
- Economical operation in the long run
- Low-profile allows better maneuverability
- Built-in USB charger keeps your smartphone fueled up
- Cruise control for a hands-free ride
- Requires 17.5 hours for a full charge
- No auto height adjustments
Check out RYOBI 48V Brushless 38″ 100 Ah Battery Electric Rear Engine Riding Lawn Mower’s price on Home Depot.
3. Best Lawn Mower for 1 Acre, Hills & Difficult Terrains
RYOBI 48V Brushless 30″ 50 Ah Battery Electric Rear Engine Riding Mower
- Turning Radius: 16″
- Type: Electric
- Deck Details: 30″, 12-gauge steel, stamped
- Mowing Speed: 5 mph (F), 2 mph (R)
Be it the cut quality, convenience, and performance, the RYOBI 48V Brushless 30″ 50 Ah Battery Electric Rear Engine Riding Mower never disappoints.
This fully electric riding lawn mower is equipped with fast charging 50 Ah lead batteries and 3 high-efficiency brushless motors to keep you running for 1-2 hours on every charge. In other words, you can easily mow an entire 1-acre yard in one charge.
Thanks to the mower’s low-profile design and 16″ turning radius, you won’t face any maneuverability issues around the borders or obstacles. Add to this the wide 30″ stamped deck with 2 steel blades. Heat-treated, these blades don’t lose their sharpness easily and give your unkempt lawn a tidy look. Even if you need new cutting blades, you can install them easily without any tools.
You can also adjust the cutting heights of the deck from 1.5″ to 4.5″. But you’ll have to do so manually! Some other useful loadings of this mower are dual LED headlights, a built-in battery level indicator, a cup holder, an hour meter, etc.
- Durable battery with a decent run time
- Effortlessly goes up and down the steep yards
- Heat-treated blades don’t lose sharpness easily
- Can also mow thick grass
- Battery issues while charging
- Not ideal for winters
Check out RYOBI 48V Brushless 30″ 50 Ah Battery Electric Rear Engine Riding Mower’s price on Home Depot.
4. Best Electric Lawn Mower for 1 Acre
Weibang E-Rider 30″ 72V Lithium-Ion Battery Electric Rear Engine Riding Mower
- Turning Radius: 18″
- Type: Electric
- Deck Details: 30″, 10-gauge steel, fabricated
- Mowing Speed: 3.7 mph (F), 3.1 mph (R)
Last but not least, here’s the most beginner-friendly riding lawn mower, the Weibang E-Rider 30″ 72V Lithium-Ion Battery Electric Rear Engine Riding Mower.
This is an economical riding lawn mower with premium mowing capabilities. It houses high-powered 72V Li-ion batteries with a 2 hours run time. Thus, you need not worry about the charge, whether you’re mowing 1 acre or 2 acres of unkempt land. Talking about recharging, the batteries don’t support fast charging, and thus, a minimum of 6 hours is required for a full charge.
The deck is 30″ wide, which gives the mower easy access to tight corners, borders, and obstacles. Its build quality is also pretty solid due to the 10-gauge steel and fabricated design. Since the overall weight of the mower is quite high in comparison to its peers, you get an average forward mowing speed of 3.7 mph here. Hence, mowing hilly terrains is also possible with it.
Unlike other lawn mowers from the class, this Weibang delivers a much smoother and more convenient riding experience. The padded mid-back seat, easy-to-access control panel, and smooth-turning automobile-like steering wheel are to be credited here.
- Ideal for hilly terrains as well
- Easy operation
- Produces clean cuts in less time
- Decent charge capacity
- Average mowing speed
- Doesn’t support fast charging
Check out Weibang E-Rider 30″ 72V Lithium-Ion Battery Electric Rear Engine Riding Mower’s price on Home Depot.
Best Riding Lawn Mower Brands to Check Out
From RYOBI to Cub Cadet, below are the top brands that manufacture the best riding lawn mowers for 1 acre.
RYOBI is the leading riding lawn mower brand that caters to homeowners and professionals. Whether gasoline-powered or electric, RYOBI lets you choose the best riding lawn mower for 1 acre from its rich collection. Some salient features include heavy-duty construction, automatic height adjustment, comfortable ride quality, quiet operation, and more.
Next comes Cub Cadet, an American company founded in 1960. Many professionals lay their trust in the brand’s riding lawn mowers because of their strong cutting systems, ergonomics, strength, ride comfort, and support for an array of attachments.
Not to forget Cub Cadet lawn mowers’ mastery in driving up and down steep hills like a pro.
John Deere, or Deere & Company, whatever you call it, is another reputed American manufacturer of lawn care equipment. Whether you’re looking for a residential mower or a commercial one, the company takes pride in its rich collection of mowers.
Be it high-cutting speed, a fully automatic control panel, a massive fuel tank/battery capacity, or extra-large tires for better traction, John Deere riding lawn mowers tick all the boxes.
Also, read this case study on how Husqvarna lawn mowers are helping homeowners maintain their yards in good health without professional assistance.
Related: John Deere E180 Mower Review: Plenty of Power for Your Yard
Useful Maintenance & Care Tips for Your Riding Lawn Mower
Adhere to these maintenance and care tips for your riding lawn mower’s long life.
Note: Most of the following tips are for gasoline-powered mowers, as electric models don’t require much maintenance.
- Change The Engine Oil
Change the engine oil regularly to keep your mower running for years. Ideally, I recommend new engine oil after every 100 hours or annually, whichever comes first.
- Check The Air Filter
Your mower’s air filter accumulates dirt and debris after every use. If not cleaned regularly, it may result in a clogged engine and, thus, affect its performance. Thus, you should check the air filter and clean or replace it as and when required.
- Treat Your Fuel
Treating your fuel means adding a fuel stabilizer to it. Doing so keeps the gas fresh and protects the engine.
- Take Care Of The Blade(s)
Taking care of the blade(s) applies to both gas and battery-powered electric riding lawn mowers. Ideally, you should manually brush off the blade(s) after every use to keep debris from affecting the blade’s material.
In addition, don’t forget to sharpen them using a file or grindstone, whichever is readily available. A bench grinder can also be used.
- Park The Mower In A Shed Or Garage
When parking your riding lawn mower, a solid shed or a garage are the best places you can think of. This will protect your mower from harsh weather elements, such as rain, heat, cold, etc.
Even if you park your mower in a shed or garage, don’t forget to cover it properly with a mower cover.
Safety Tips to Mind When Using a Riding Lawn Mower
Stay safe when using a riding lawn mower with these expert safety tips.
- Thoroughly read the user manual and understand every function before stepping into the mower.
- Wear proper footwear when using the mower. Stay away from loose sandals, slippers or flip-flops. Instead, invest in proper lawn shoes. Besides, protective gloves, goggles, and long pants are also a must.
- Before you turn ON the ignition, ensure no one’s around or in the way of your mower. This is true for all – kids, adults, and pets.
- Ensure the lawn is free from objects like glass fragments, big stones, toys, thick branches, sprinklers, etc. These objects can easily damage the blade of your mower.
- Lower the mower speed as soon as you approach an uphill or downhill.
These are some crucial safety tips that you should remember at your fingertips.
Note: Refer to more helpful tips regarding lawn mower safety.
Related: Ultimate Review Of Best Robot Lawn Mowers Of 2023
Best Riding Lawn Mower for 1 Acre: FAQs
What Size Mower Deck Do I Need for 1 Acre?
A 30″ to 42″ mower deck is suitable for 1 acre.
Do I Need a Riding Mower for ⅓ Acres?
No, a push mower is a better and cheaper option for ⅓ acres.
Can I Mow 1 Acre With a Push Mower?
Yes, you can mow 1 acre with a push mower, but it’ll take more time and effort.
Who Does Make the Most Reliable Riding Lawn Mower?
RYOBI makes the most reliable riding lawn mowers. Both beginners and professional landscapers can trust the brand’s mowers.
How Long Does It Take to Mow an Acre With a Riding Lawn Mower?
A riding lawn mower can mow an acre within an hour.
Is Cub Cadet Better Than John Deere?
No, John Deere is better than Cub Cadet in steering, braking, turning, and stability, and thus, offers a more refined ride.
Here you go. When shopping for a lawn mower for 1 acre, you’ll come across many models. For example, ZTR mowers, riding mowers, walk-behind mowers, etc. Among all these, riding mowers should be your first choice. Why? They have a better fuel capacity, less turning radius, automobile-like driving transmission, and high maneuverability.
My favorite riding lawn mower for 1 acre is the Troy-Bilt Bronco 42″ 19 HP Briggs and Stratton Engine Automatic Drive Gas Riding Lawn Mower. It’s fully automatic, easy to handle, and extremely powerful. Check out its complete review in this article to know more.
So, which riding lawn mower are you planning to purchase? Let me know in the comments below.