Your Wi-Fi connection might not reach every corner of your home depending on your home layout and location hence the need for a Wi-Fi extender. This article will give a well-informed guide on how to extend your Wi-Fi range outside. Read along and learn how to go about it.
It is impeccably great to connect all your devices and appliances throughout your home to your Wi-Fi. However, frustration begins when you try to connect your wireless network to streaming and other devices outside your home. You might take your Wi-Fi router to your home yard as far as your ethernet cable will take you, but unfortunately, your problem will not be solved.
Follow these tips to extend your Wi-Fi signal outside:
- Strategically locate your home router or access point. You can opt for outdoor access point
- Purchase the right equipment, that is, a long-range Wi-Fi extender or booster
- Have a unified management system to help you add APs to your home network
- Configure your equipment correctly.
Choosing a Wi-Fi extender or a booster entirely depends on your outside house Wi-Fi requirement. In that respect, a Wi-Fi booster will provide high speed and support numerous devices at a go. On the other hand, an extender will provide you with many placement options.
How Far Can Wi-Fi Reach Outdoors?
Table Of Contents
- 1 How Far Can Wi-Fi Reach Outdoors?
- 2 How Can I Extend My House Wi-Fi to My Garage?
- 3 How to Extend Your Wi-Fi to Reach a Building 400 Feet Away
- 4 Why Your Wi-Fi Is Not Working
- 5 Best Long Range Wi-Fi Extenders Outdoor
- 6 Top Overall, Wi-Fi Extender Outdoor
- 7 Best Home Network OutdoorWi-Fi Extender
- 8 Ultimate Performance Outdoor Wi-Fi Extender
- 9 Best Budget Outdoor Wi-Fi Extender
- 10 Best Waterproof Outdoor Wi-Fi Extender
- 11 Conclusion
Your Wi-Fi range will be determined by the access point number initially configured. Typically, a home network rule states that a Wi-Fi network of 2.4 GHz can only cover a perimeter of not more than 46 meters. This can be interpreted to mean 150 feet indoors and 300 feet outdoors.
Old version routers, configured on 802.11a 5 GHz, could cover almost one-third of the above distances. On the contrary, new model routers of either 2.4 or 5 GHz bands configured of 802.11n & 802.11ac vary on the distance they can cover.
How Can I Extend My House Wi-Fi to My Garage?
With the increased number of smart devices like garage door openers, you need to extend your Wi-Fi beyond your house’s exterior walls. It might sound impossible, but purchasing the proper hardware can help you accomplish the task in no time.
You must buy a Wi-Fi extender or booster tuned to your current home router to meet your garage Wi-Fi needs. Alternatively, you can opt to buy a new router or extender to give an upgrade to your entire house network.
The next step is to check your extender Ingress Protection (IP) rating on the packaging. Knowing your device IP is crucial since it determines how weather-resistant your device will be, majorly against water and dust.
The highest extender rating is IP 68, which implies that the device can survive adverse dusty conditions and sustain long periods of immersion under water. It is also essential to ascertain the temperature range your device can comfortably withstand.
How to Extend Your Wi-Fi to Reach a Building 400 Feet Away
You need a Wi-Fi extender to broadcast your home Wi-Fi network over a wide area. You can place it near your backyard or fix it into an outdoor outlet to transmit a Wi-Fi signal outside.
Why Your Wi-Fi Is Not Working
In most cases, it is a momentary network issue that can be solved by unplugging your router, waiting for a minute, and plugging it back. If the problem persists, contact your network provider.
Best Long Range Wi-Fi Extenders Outdoor
We are sure you wish to have the best Wi-Fi extender to cover your outdoor device and appliances. Agreeably, it proves hard to tell the difference between a Wi-Fi extender from $50 to that $300, particularly when every Wi-Fi extender ad has the label “the top extender for you.”
We tend to believe that the price of a commodity dictates the quality, but you will be astonished to find cheaper Wi-Fi extender options that offer the same quality service as high-priced ones.
Let’s review some of the best Wi-Fi extenders you should consider. Below are some of the top picks:
Top overall: TP-Link RE605X
Top Home Network: Linksys RE7310
Ultimate Performance: Asus RP-AX56
Best Budgert: TP-Link RE220
Top Overall, Wi-Fi Extender Outdoor
This extender is powerful and versatile since it can be used at home and on your business premises. Its Wi-Fi coverage is enhanced as it has high-gain antennas making it easy to cover areas with weak spots and Wi-Fi connections.
The extender is equipped with a Wi-Fi booster of 6 speeds and dual-band Wi-Fi rates of up to 18Gbps. You can easily download large files from the comfort of your home yard. Additionally, this extender makes it possible to connect more devices to your wireless connection.
TP-Link RE605X Wi-Fi extender does not take much time to install- it is just a matter of minutes, and you have your connection in place. The extender is fitted with a tethering app that makes it convenient to configure your android IOS.
- Data transfer of up to 1775 megabytes per second
- Upload and download speed up to 1.8 Gps & 2.4 GHz band: 574 Mbps and 5GHz band: 1201 Mbps
- It has dual band frequency
- It has an increased Wi-Fi coverage with a 1775 megabytes per second data transfer speed
- It is fitted with a Wi-Fi booster with six speeds.
- It gives you the advantage of connecting about 30 devices to your network
- It offers universal compatibility
- It is prone to random disconnection from your internet
Best Home Network OutdoorWi-Fi Extender
Linksys RE7310 is another Wi-Fi extender with outstanding features, including Wi-Fi Beam Focusing and High-Gain Antenna technology. This router is compatible with all types of routers available in the market; thus, you won’t be required to change your primary settings.
With this extender, you can stream simultaneously due to its dual-band property. It achieves a strong connection by transmitting both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz wireless signals simultaneously. Its 6-wifi gives reliable speed and connectivity, making it an ideal outside Wi-Fi extender.
This device goes at an average price of $119, which is pocket friendly considering its excellent specs.
- The dimension between 5.1 by 3.9 by 2 inches
- It weighs approximately 0.67 pounds
- Data transfers speed is 1800 megabytes per second
- It has a 2000 square feet coverage
- It is easy to install and use
- It is powerful and stress-free in use
- Offers concurrent streaming of 2.4GHz and 5 GHz signals
- The extender is compatible with all routers from all service providers
- It loses its connection to the internet at random times
- The Wi-Fi range is not satisfying
Ultimate Performance Outdoor Wi-Fi Extender
Irrefutably, Asus comes before TP-Link and Linksys in terms of performance. It is fitted with Wi-Fi 6 range and is pocket-friendly, amounting to $99. The extender operates in three operation models: AP, repeater, and wireless, designed to increase its performance.
In addition, the Asus RP-AX56 is enhanced with dual-band technology with two antennas (2T2R), making it the best extender in terms of strength and speed.
This extender has a seamless AiMesh Wi-Fi system that makes it possible to connect several Asus routers to achieve a highly reliable and efficient network. The ability to be interconnected makes the extender ideal for vacation homes and offices.
The MU-MIMO technology, which comes with the extender, makes it possible to link multiple appliances at high speed.
- It has a date transfer of up to 1800 megabits per second
- It has a dual-band frequency
- It employs the MU-MIMO technology
- It has 802.11n, 802.11ax, 802.11a, 802.11ac, and 802.11g wireless communication standards.
- It has an extended seamless AiMesh WiFi system
- It is idealized for large spaces of up to 2200 square feet with a total throughput of 1775 Mb/s. This is only with compatible devices.
- Easy to set up and use
- It loses connection at some points, typical with all Wi-Fi extenders.
Best Budget Outdoor Wi-Fi Extender
TP-Link RE220 is among the best Wi-Fi extenders with a good signal booster capacity. It is more of a Wi-Fi repeater since it allows many devices to be connected to the leading network, especially in areas outside your home with poor reception. This device has large external antennas and amplifiers to ensure maximum coverage and speed.
It removes Wi-Fi dead zones and has a convenient wall-plug design making it the best choice, especially for areas without a free outlet. This device goes at $26 on Amazon, making it one of the best and most cost-efficient Wi-Fi extenders.
- It has a data transfer of 733 Megabits Per Second
- It weighs 0.56 pounds
- It has 1200 square feet of coverage
- It has dimensions of 3.7 by 3.5 by 1 inch
- Allows you to connect up to 20 devices
- Not hard to set up and use
- Adopts the OneMesh Technology when you pair it with the Archer A7 Router
- It has wall-plug designs
- It is fitted with high-gain amplifiers for maximum coverage and connection speed.
- It has quite a few system requirements to eliminate Wi-Fi dead zones
- It creates a secondary network unless you connect it to your router using an ethernet cable
Best Waterproof Outdoor Wi-Fi Extender
Waterproof- Wi-Fi extenders are the most reliable. Unfortunately, there are no tried and tested options in the market, and thus you should opt for a setup that will work for you.
In a nutshell, you have many options at your disposal to extend your Wi-Fi outdoors. You must balance cost, complexity, and reliability to choose the one that suits your outside home network needs.
You should find a Wi-Fi extender or booster in the market bearing in mind that they are not created equally. Also, invest in a suitable Wi-Fi extender device that quickly covers all your outside house devices and appliance needs.