The debate between plastic and stainless steel dishwasher tubs has been going on for years. Some people swear by the durability and reliability of stainless steel, while others find that plastic is more than enough for their needs.
So, which is the better choice?
As controversial as the debate is, so is the complexity of answering this question. To try and crack the puzzle, we shall answer some questions about the main features you need to consider. These include:
- Stain resistance
- Temperature resistance
- Energy efficiency
- Noise reduction
Plastic vs. Stainless Steel Dishwasher Tub Comparison Table
|Does not rust||Prone to rust|
|BPA chemical risk||No BPA chemical risk|
|Less durable||More durable|
|Less costly||More costly|
|More energy efficient||Less energy efficient|
|More cleaning effort||Less cleaning effort|
|Can absorb food odors||It doesn’t absorb food odors|
Table Of Contents
Are Plastic Dishwasher Tubs Safe?
The answer to this question isn’t simple, as several factors determine plastic tubs’ safety. They are:
- The tub should have high-quality, food-grade plastic. This type of plastic can withstand the high temperatures typically used in dishwashers. They are also safe with food.
- A tub that is BPA-free. BPA is a chemical linked to several health problems, so it is best to avoid it if possible.
- The tub should be durable, with a good warranty. Durability will ensure you can use it for many years without worrying about breaking or wearing out. A good warranty ensures you can get a replacement if things go sideways with your tub.
- Considering the guidelines we’ve highlighted above, you can be sure that your plastic dishwasher tub is safe.
How Do You Clean a Plastic Dishwasher Tub?
If you have a plastic dishwasher tub, it is essential to clean it regularly to prevent the build-up of bacteria and other debris. Follow the instructions below on how to clean a plastic dishwasher tub.
- First, fill your tub with hot water and mild dish soap. Let the water and soap mixture sit for a few minutes to loosen any dirt or debris.
- Next, use a soft sponge or cloth to scrub the tub, paying particular attention to any areas that seem dirty.
- Once you have finished scrubbing, rinse the tub thoroughly with hot water. You may need to repeat the process several times to remove all the soap and dirt.
- Finally, dry the tub with a clean towel to prevent water spots.
Regular cleaning will extend the life of your tub and keep your dishes clean.
Pros of Plastic Dishwasher Tub
Below are some advantages of using a plastic dishwasher tub:
- Plastic tub dishwashers are usually more affordable than other types of dishwasher tubs.
- They are typically smaller and take up less space, making them ideal for small kitchens.
- They are generally easy to operate.
- Plastic tub dishwashers usually have a shorter wash cycle than other types of dishwasher tubs.
- They are typically more energy-efficient.
Cons of Plastic Dishwasher Tub
Here are the disadvantages of a plastic dishwasher tub:
- They are not as durable as their stainless steel counterparts. That means they are more likely to break. Or you might need to replace them more often.
- They are not as effective at cleaning dishes as their stainless steel counterparts. That is because they do not get as hot. Therefore, food and dirt can more easily build up on the dishes.
Is It Important to Have a Stainless Steel Tub in a Dishwasher?
- It is more durable than other materials; hence it will last longer.
- It is easier to clean than other materials, so you won’t have to scrub hard.
- It is more sanitary than other materials, so you can be sure that your dishes are bacteria-free.
For these reasons, having a stainless steel tub in your dishwasher is essential.
Do Stainless Steel Dishwasher Tubs Rust?
Yes, stainless steel dishwasher tubs do rust. However, this rare occurrence is usually only seen in older dishwashers.
The reason why stainless steel tubs can rust is because of exposure to water and moisture regularly. Over time, this can cause the steel to rust.
If you have an older dishwasher with a stainless steel tub, it’s a good idea to have it inspected by a professional to see if there is any rust present. A professional can clean it up and prevent the rust from spreading.
What Are the Benefits of a Stainless Steel Interior Dishwasher?
A stainless steel interior dishwasher has several benefits, making it an excellent choice for your home. These are:
- It is durable. So you can be confident that your dishwasher will last many years.
- Stainless steel is easy to clean, so you won’t have to spend hours scrubbing your dishwasher’s interior.
- It is resistant to bacteria and other contaminants, so you can be sure that your dishes will be clean and safe.
- Stainless steel doesn’t absorb food odors, so your dishes will always smell fresh and clean.
- It reflects heat, so your dishes will come out of the dishwasher hot and ready for use.
Related: How Many Amps Does a Dishwasher Use?
Hybrid Dishwasher Tub
A hybrid dishwasher tub consists of two different materials:
- Stainless steel.
The advantages of a hybrid tub are that it is less likely to crack or chip than a 100% plastic tub. Also, it is more durable and easier to clean than a 100% stainless steel tub.
Hybrid dishwasher tubs are more affordable than their all-stainless steel or all-plastic counterparts.
What Is Hybrid Stainless Steel Tub in Dishwasher?
Hybrid stainless steel tubs are dishwashers with a tub made of stainless steel. They also come with a plastic liner. Hybrid dishwasher tubs have a plastic bottom and an interior made of stainless steel that runs along the door, up the sides, and back. This combination of materials makes the dishwasher tub more durable and resistant to rust.
What Are the Benefits of a Hybrid Stainless Steel Tub in a Dishwasher?
Let’s see some of the significant benefits of a hybrid stainless tub in a dishwasher:
- They are incredibly durable and resistant to scratches.
- Higher heat temperatures won’t damage them.
- They are more energy efficient than their traditional counterparts.
Polinox vs. Stainless Steel
Polinox is nickel-free stainless steel that contains less than 0.5% carbon.
Some advantages of using Polinox over stainless steel include the following:
- Polinox is more resistant to corrosion, staining, and scratching.
- It is non-magnetic.
Polinox is a superior choice for those looking for a high-quality, durable stainless steel option.
Which Is Better? Hybrid or Polinox Dishwasher Tub?
The Polinox dishwasher tub is durable, odorless, and rust-proof. This durable construction prevents damage like dents, scratches, and discoloration. If you need a dishwasher that is easy to install, clean, and durable, a Polinox tub may be the best option.
Best Plastic Tub Dishwasher (Best Value for Money & Best Rated)
If you’re looking for a dishwasher that can handle even the most stubborn stains, then the GE GDT535PSMSS is an excellent option. This dishwasher features a steam pre-wash cycle that can remove tough food stains without scrubbing.
In addition, the GE GDT535PSMSS is Energy Star certified, meaning it is incredibly energy-efficient. And, with a noise level of only 55 dBA, this dishwasher won’t disrupt your home.
Best Dishwasher With Stainless Steel Tub (1 Option Best Value for Money / Best Rated)
Bosch dishwashers are some of the market’s most reliable and well-built machines. The SHEM63W55N is no exception. This model is part of the 300 series, which is Bosch’s entry-level line of dishwashers.
Despite being entry-level, the SHEM63W55N is still a high-quality machine. It features a stainless steel interior and a third rack for extra storage. It also has several washing cycles, including an Eco cycle that conserves water and energy.
The SHEM63W55N is an excellent choice for a reliable and affordable dishwasher.