Only a dishwasher can make you enjoy cleaning that pile of soiled dishes after dinner. But not everyone has the space to install a built-in model. Still, this doesn’t mean you’re doomed to clean your dishes manually.
A portable dishwasher does the job conveniently on wheels. You can easily clamp it to a faucet, move it to the storage space when you’re done, and even transport it to your campsite or RV. You can do pretty much anything like its fixed counterpart.
These machines are diverse, each model with its specific capabilities. The vast options can make it challenging to choose the right tool for your particular needs. But a good idea of what to look for when shopping and knowledge of the best portable dishwashers on wheels can guide your buying decision.
Is A Mini Dishwasher Worth It?
Table Of Contents
- 1 Is A Mini Dishwasher Worth It?
- 2 Best Small/Mini Portable Dishwasher On Wheels
- 3 Best Portable Dishwasher On Wheels For Camping
- 4 Best 18″ Portable Dishwasher On Wheels
- 5 Best Convertible Dishwasher
- 6 Best Entry-level Dishwasher On Wheels
- 7 Best Premium Dishwasher On Wheels
- 8 Best Dishwasher On Wheels FAQs
A mini dishwasher is worth it if you need dishwashing convenience yet can’t install a fixed model. Besides simplifying your cleaning, it’s smaller, lighter, and movable.
Another reason to opt for a mini dishwasher on wheels is the machine’s water and power efficiency. Most of the latest models have an Energy Star rating, meaning they consume a maximum of 3.5 gallons of water for every wash cycle. This is far more efficient than built-in brands, which can use up to 5 gallons.
The machine’s convenience, practicality, and flexibility make it ideal if your kitchen is tiny or you frequently switch homes. So it can be a worthy investment.
How Do You Find the Best Portable Dishwasher On wheels?
There are multiple considerations to focus on when finding the best portable dishwasher on wheels for you. These include:
Portable dishwashers on wheels are mostly compact (18 inches wide) or full-sized (24 inches wide). A compact model is the best for space economy and can serve a household of three. The 24-inch full-sized portable dishwasher can do more than its counterpart in capacity and rack flexibility. But it takes up more space. That’s a setback if you want something for a tiny kitchen.
Just like dimensions, you must also consider your dishwasher’s capacity, measured in place settings. Some models offer eight place settings, but others can hold 12. Consider the number of people in your household when comparing capacities.
Water Source and Connections
You want to make sure that the dishwasher is fit for your kitchen. The machines require instant access to your kitchen faucet, so choose one compatible with yours and find its appropriate adapter. Also, confirm whether your faucet’s spout is threaded.
Finally, and most crucially, you need the right dishwasher features for your needs. So what are the features to look for in a portable dishwasher on wheels? Let’s explore.
- Adjustable dish racks – The best portable dishwashers come with flexible racks that you can reconfigure to create ample interior space for a complete load.
- Multiple wash cycles – A single cycle isn’t enough for the perfect clean. Thus, most machines offer Heavy, Normal, and Light cycles. Premium dishwashers on wheels have additional cycles such as Delayed Wash, Quick Wash, Only Rinse, Rinse and Hold Wash, Sanitizing rinse, and many more.
- Hard food cleaning – You’ll enjoy complete dishwasher convenience when you don’t have to scrub off remains on your dishes before loading them into the dishwasher. Fortunately, the best models can crush and eliminate hardened remains without worrying about clogging.
- Tray layout – You’re attracted to a portable dishwasher because of its size. But don’t compromise too much; choose the right tray layout to accommodate complete wash loads.
- Hard water filter – Hard water can cause scaling inside your dishwasher, and your machine will consume more detergent. Consider a washer with a water-softening chamber if your region has hard water.
- Self-cleaning versus manual – Self-cleaning portable dishwashers on wheels don’t have many maintenance requirements. But a manual one will force you to clean it regularly. Evaluate your needs and consider your budget before deciding.
- Heated dry – A heated dry dishwasher can dry your dishes after washing. Of course, they have greater energy requirements and are relatively more expensive.
Our Top Picks
Best Mini: Danby DDW1805EWP
Best For camping: GE 18 Inch Stainless Steel
Best 18″: BLACK+DECKER BPD8B
Best Convertible: Whirlpool Tall Tub
Best Entry-level: SPT Portable Dishwasher
Best Premium Option: Bosch SPX68B55UC 800 Series
Best Small/Mini Portable Dishwasher On Wheels
Danby’s DDW1805EWP is a versatile compact dishwasher that can add fun to your dishwashing. The attractive cleaner comes with a silverware basket and offers four wash cycles and eighty place settings capacity. All these are impressive features, considering the compact nature that makes it perfect for limited-spaced kitchens.
This dishwasher also stands out for its water efficiency, consuming just 3.4 gallons per wash. It features a durable interior, stainless steel spray arm, an automatic rinse agent, and detergent dispensers.
Though compact, the machine has an excellent rack configuration that allows you to remove the first rack and adjust the second, while the third one is the silverware basket.
- Dimensions: 23.6 x 25.4 x 36 inches
- Sound: 52 decibels
- Cycles: 4
- Capacity: 8-place setting
- It’s highly portable
- It offers thorough space, energy, and cost-efficiency
- Impressive racks
- Some users may find it too tiny
Best Portable Dishwasher On Wheels For Camping
The best portable dishwasher on wheels for your next camping experience has to be compact and highly effective, and this 18-incher by GE can match your expectations.
The dishwashing machine comes with an auto-sense feature that measures the solid level on the dishes using a beam of light. It then adjusts the cycle time and water temperature to effectively sort them out without wasting water or energy.
The 18-inch GE also has little maintenance requirements. Forget having to deal with food clogs in your dishwasher. This remarkable device comes with an effective 3,600-rep-per-minute food disposer. It also has a stainless steel blade to ensure your cutlery is sparkling clean after every wash.
You’ll also fancy the dishwasher’s smart capabilities. The machine is compatible with Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa. Lastly, it has an Energy Star rating for efficiency.
- Dimensions: 18 x 25.3 x 36 inches
- Sound: 52 decibels
- Cycles: 3
- Capacity: 8 place settings
- Autosense Cycle
- A relatively quiet portable dishwasher
- Hard Food Disposer
- Smart capabilities
- Little maintenance requirements
- The hose won’t serve throughout the dishwasher’s lifetime
Best 18″ Portable Dishwasher On Wheels
Looking for a freestanding dishwasher on wheels, but your kitchen space is relatively small? The BLACK+DECKER BPD8B could be just what you need. The device is only 17.6 inches wide and has a narrow form to fit in your closet when it’s not working. Still, you may use the machine’s top section as extra counter space.
But despite the compact nature, the machine has an 8-place setting capacity. Moreover, it has an adjustable upper rack that lets you easily fit bulkier items. Its six wash cycles comprise the standard programs and the heated dry and high-temperature wash options. But its heated dry capability isn’t as effective as it should be.
The Energy Star-certified machine has a quick connect faucet connection, and you can lock two caster wheels. Finally, it comprises a durable stainless steel interior, and you can choose between a black or white finish.
- Dimensions: 17.6 x 23.6 x 35.6 inches
- Sound: 52 decibels
- Cycles: 6:
- Capacity: 8 place
- Impressive Capacity
- It’s easy to set up the machine
- Multiple wash cycle options
- The dry setting might disappoint you
Best Convertible Dishwasher
If you need a dishwasher for a large household, this Whirlpool dishwasher’s spacious interior will tickle your fancy. It’s 24 inches wide and can hold a dozen place settings. But the most notable feature you’ll realize is its impressive wood surface outfit that serves as additional counter space. You can also choose between two color options.
The Whirlpool has only three wash cycles: one-hour, heavy, and normal. But you can also use the heated dry setting and high-temperature wash. The unit also has a child-safety control lock that prevents the curious little ones from starting it, and its design earned the Kosher Consumer Friendly certification by Star-K.
The control panel’s buttons can be challenging to read, but you have only a handful of options that you can figure out reasonably fast.
- Dimensions: 24.1 x 27.5 x 37
- Sound: 55 decibels
- Capacity: 12 Place Settings
- Cycles: 3
- Massive capacity
- Sensor and high-temperature wash
- Heated dry setting
- It offers additional countertop space
- A dozen place settings
- The four-hour delay isn’t impressive
- Some users might find it noisy
Best Entry-level Dishwasher On Wheels
A portable dishwasher on wheels is a significant investment. But you can also find impressive entry-level models that are affordable and reliable. Our tests found the SPT Portable Dishwasher to be the best-entry level model.
This can be an incredible option if you’re prioritizing an eco-friendly brand. The 18-incher is Energy Star-certified and comes with an “Eco” setting that’s highly water-efficient. A cycle can consume as low as 2.6 gallons. The machine can also sustain eight place settings, and its compact design comprises two levels with an adjustable top rack.
Can’t stand the complex connection? Don’t worry. This machine has a faucet adapter that can easily attach to your sink. The inner door section has a rinse agent and detergent dispenser; you can choose from six wash cycles.
However, according to the manufacturer, attaching the hose to a faucet containing a separate side sprayer could cause leakage.
- Dimensions: 17.6 x 23.6 x 35.6 inches
- Decibel Rating: 52 decibels
- Capacity: 8 place settings
- Cycles: 6
- Unique and user-friendly control panel
- Up to 24-hour delay
- Six wash programs
- It lacks reliable hose storage between cycles
- The top is relatively weak
Best Premium Dishwasher On Wheels
Bosch’s SPX68B55UC is ideal if you’re looking for a high-end dishwasher to complement your mini-mansion or expensive RV. The premium machine is only 17 inches in width but has outstanding capabilities that most of its peers can’t match.
First, you’ll like its additional loading flexibility thanks to the adjustable standard third rack. The machine also comes with AquaStop® Plus sensors, so you don’t have to worry about detecting or preventing leaks. It works quietly, releasing only 44 decibels. This can be compared to the noise you’d record in a library.
This superior, apartment-size dishwasher has some cons that could be deal breakers for some people. As you’d expect, it’s relatively costlier than most options in this guide. Also, your items may not be bone dry after cleaning despite working with an energy-efficient condensation dryer.
- Dimensions: 17.625″x 22.4375″x32.0625″
- Sound: 44 dB
- Capacity: 10 Place Settings
- Cycles: 5
- The racks are adjustable
- Effective leak sensing and prevention technology
- it’s among the most silent machines in this guide
- Not ideal if you’re on a budget
- The dryer isn’t reliable
Best Dishwasher On Wheels FAQs
Does a portable dishwasher work?
Yes, portable dishwashers on wheels can work as effectively as built-in models and still allow more kitchen space. Some have an integrated countertop (wooden ones look fantastic!) for food prepping and general storage. However, they have several drawbacks, like capacity limitations, a shorter lifespan, and higher noise levels.
Related: How Many Amps Does a Dishwasher Use?
Is there a dishwasher that doesn’t need plumbing?
Yes, many dishwashers on wheels don’t need plumbing, except for the convertible varieties. You only need to connect it to your faucet, sink, or bucket outlet, and you’re ready.
Related: How Hot Does a Dishwasher Get?
Where does the dirty water go in a portable dishwasher?
This varies. Some wheeled portable dishwashers drain wash water directly into the sink if you use the correct hose size. You can also plumb your hose to drain into the pipes below your sink. This would involve additional work. You can manually empty the wash water into a bowl if you have a shorter hose.