Today, you may not want to purchase a device that doesn’t come with a remote, and your Roku TV is no exception. Can you imagine standing up from your seat now and then to go and navigate the menu or change the channel on your Roku TV?
It can be frustrating if your Roku device isn’t working. Although you can use a smartphone app to control the device, you may not enjoy the one-button convenience you get from a remote.
So, what do you do if your remote isn’t functional? You can download and use the smartphone app using the following steps:
- Download the Roku remote control app, available for iOS and Android devices. Visit the Google Play Store or Apple App Store to download the app
- Follow the installation instructions and then tap “Sign in”
- Enter your login details and tap “Sign in”
- Go to the bottom of your display and tap “Remote”
- Connect your Roku device to it and allow the required permissions
With that, you can start using your phone as a remote.
Related: How to Turn on Roku TV without Remote? 2 Options to Try
Table Of Contents
What Causes Roku Remote to Stop Working?
Your Roku remote can stop functioning for several reasons. For instance, it could be the batteries have run out. Replacing the batteries can help deal with the issue. If it’s a rechargeable remote, ensure it’s charged.
Your remote can also stop working if it’s unpaired. The unpairing can be caused by various reasons, including technical glitches, using the remote with a different Roku box, changing WiFi networks, and low power.
A Roku remote can also stop working due to interference from nearby HDMI cables. If you’re using the Roku remote app on your phone, it’ll not work if the phone or Roku box are connected to a VPN.
How to Pair Roku Remote
A Roku device allows you to enjoy movies and TV shows by turning any TV into a smart TV. However, you might have problems navigating the catalog and the TV menu if your remote isn’t working.
If your remote is having issues, you should try resetting or pairing it with your device. How you pair the remote depends on the type you’re using.
There are two types of remotes, including the simple remote that uses infrared light, and you have to point it to the receiver for it to work.
On the other hand, you have a voice remote that you don’t have to point directly to a receiver as it uses a WiFi connection.
So, how do you pair a simple remote?
Since a simple remote uses infrared light, it’s automatically paired with any Roku device. It can stop working if anything is blocking its path.
It’s also not possible to reset a simple remote. You can try removing the batteries and replacing them with new ones. Alternatively, you can reset your Roku device.
You can check if the infrared light on your remote is working by pointing it at your phone’s camera and pressing any button. You might consider replacing or upgrading the remote if the camera can’t detect the light.
- Roku vs. Chromecast: What’s the Difference?
- Roku vs. Firestick: Which One to Choose?
- How to Disconnect Roku TV From Wifi?
How to Pair a Roku Voice Remote
If the voice remote isn’t working, use the Roku remote pairing button to pair it. The button is mostly located at the back of the remote or in the battery compartment. To pair the remote:
- Press and hold the pairing button until the status light flashes green
- The remote may take a while to pair with your Roku device. You can move it close to the device for easier pairing
- You’ll see a “pairing remote” message on your Roku device screen, which shows the device is connecting
If the voice remote uses batteries, you can try using new batteries. If it’s a rechargeable voice remote, ensure it’s fully charged.
How Do I Reset the Remote for My Roku?
If your Roku remote is unresponsive, you can reset it to see if it’ll start working again. But maybe you’re lost on how to reset the Roku remote without a reset button.
Use the following steps:
- Start by unplugging your Roku device from the power
- If you aren’t using a rechargeable battery, remove the batteries from the remote
- Wait for about 5 seconds before you can plug back your Roku player
- When the Roku logo appears on the screen, reinsert the batteries in your remote
- Next, press and hold the pairing button on your remote for about 5 seconds until the pairing light starts blinking
- Wait until the pairing process is complete, which can take up to 30 seconds. You’ll receive a prompt on your screen when the process is over.
If you want to reset the Roku device itself, you can use the physical reset button. The button can be a pinhole or tactile design.
After locating the button, press and hold it for about 10 seconds. You’ll get a status LED or indicator light that notifies you when the factory reset process is complete.
With the factory reset, your device restarts like a new one. Therefore, you’ll have to:
- Conduct the setup and activation process
- Enter usernames and passwords to sign in to various streaming channels
- Configure parental control settings as you also set up your pin
- If you use a Roku TV with an HDTV antenna connected, you can do a broadcast television channel scan
Alternatively, you can use the settings menu instead of the reset button. Use the following steps:
- Press “Home” on the remote
- Scroll down and go to the “Settings”
- Select “System” and then go to the “Advanced System Settings”
- Select “Factory reset”
- If you have a Roku TV, go to “Factory reset everything”
- Follow the instructions on your screen to complete the process
Roku Remote App
Is your remote not working, and you want to control your TV? You probably want to turn down the volume or want to navigate the menu. You can use the Roku smartphone app.
You only need to follow a few steps, including:
- Download the Roku Remote Control App on your smartphone. It’s available on Google Play Store and Apple App Store
2. Follow the download and installation instructions and then click “Sign In”
3. Enter your login credentials, including email address and password, and click “Sign In”
4. Go to the bottom of your phone screen and tap on “Remote.” Follow the prompts to help you pair your Roku device. Accept the requested permissions
5. With that, you can use the remote app on your smartphone to control your Roku device
Roku Remote Not Working, No Pairing Button
You can try various fixes if your Roku remote isn’t working or has no pairing button. For instance, you can try removing the batteries for a few seconds and then reinserting them.
You can also try to reset the Roku device. If the problems persist, you might consider a Roku remote replacement.
Fix Your Roku Remote That’s Not Working
It’s frustrating trying to use a remote that’s not working. However, there are various fixes that you can use, including resetting the device or the remote. If the issues aren’t solved, you can consider getting a new remote or upgrading to a better one.