You were wondering about how to connect AirPods to PS5? Maybe you’ve just purchased a new pair of Apple earbuds and now can’t wait to use them while playing your favorite game with a friend. After all, your console gaming is incomplete without a great audio experience.
But without any built-in wireless audio support in the PlayStation 5, you might find it tricky to pair your AirPods with it.
So, here’s the solution to your problem.
Table Of Contents
- 1 Connect Airpods to PS5 (Summary)
- 2 Can You Connect AirPods to PS5?
- 3 How to Connect Airpods to PS5?
- 4 How to Connect AirPods to PS5: FAQs
- 5 Conclusion
Connect Airpods to PS5 (Summary)
Option 1: Use a Bluetooth Adapter
- Purchase a Bluetooth Adapter: These are small devices you can plug into the PS5’s USB or audio output port.
- Pair AirPods: Turn on your AirPods and put them in pairing mode. Follow the instructions that come with your Bluetooth adapter to pair the AirPods to the adapter.
Option 2: Use the PS5’s Audio Jack via an Adapter
- Purchase a Bluetooth Transmitter with Audio Jack: This device should be able to plug into the 3.5mm audio jack on the PS5’s controller.
- Pair AirPods: Put your AirPods in pairing mode and follow the instructions to pair them with the Bluetooth transmitter.
Option 3: Use Remote Play
- Remote Play on a Supported Device: Use PS Remote Play on a device that supports Bluetooth audio, like a Mac, PC, or mobile device.
- Connect AirPods to That Device: Connect your AirPods to your computer or mobile device as you normally would.
- Start Remote Play: Launch PS Remote Play and stream your PS5 to your device. The audio will go through the device and into your AirPods.
Option 4: Use a TV or Receiver with Bluetooth Audio Support
- Connect PS5 to TV: Connect your PS5 to a TV with Bluetooth audio support.
- Pair AirPods with TV: Most modern smart TVs allow you to pair Bluetooth headphones. Pair your AirPods with your TV.
Remember that using a Bluetooth adapter or transmitter may introduce some level of audio lag, which could be a significant drawback for some games requiring precise timing.
Continue reading as I explain the detailed steps for these 3 proven methods in this illustrative guide. Also, I’ve covered some potential issues you may face in the setup.
- AirPods and PS5 can connect through a Bluetooth adapter, the PS Remote Play app, or a Smart TV.
- Nevertheless, latency, audio dropouts, and disconnections are a few issues that can negatively impact your gameplay.
- While some Bluetooth adapters automatically enter the pairing mode, you need to press the pairing button in others manually.
Can You Connect AirPods to PS5?
You can connect AirPods to PS5, but not directly. This is because of the Bluetooth profile mismatch between the two devices.
Let me explain in simpler terms.
Due to this, you’ll have to rely on indirect ways to connect your AirPods and PS5. But again, there are some issues one would have to deal with, for example:
First, latency is the most common problem of all. It’s due to the delay between when the PS5 transmits the audio and when your AirPods receive it.
You have to check the connection between your AirPods and PS5 frequently. Due to incompatibility issues between the two, there could be recurrent disconnection issues. It isn’t very pleasant!
At times, your AirPods may also play random, high-pitched sounds, often described as crackling or static noises, when paired with the PlayStation 5. This is mainly due to wireless interference or a weak connection between them.
As is the case with PS4, AirPods can’t be used to voice chat with your fellow gamers, as the PS5 lacks Bluetooth audio support for chatting or in-game communications.
Lastly, you may also face frequent audio dropouts during PS streaming due to a weak Bluetooth signal.
Related: How to Connect AirPods to MacBook
How to Connect Airpods to PS5?
To bypass PS5’s Bluetooth audio limitation and connect your AirPods for the immersive sound quality they are known for, the three best solutions you can resort to are:
- Bluetooth adapter
- Smart TV
- PS Remote Play app
Read on as I discuss each of these in detail.
How to Connect Airpods to PS5 With a Bluetooth Adapter?
If you want to use a Bluetooth adapter to connect AirPods to PS5, follow these steps:
- Insert both AirPods into the charging case. Charge it if required.
- Take your Bluetooth adapter/dongle and plug it into one of the free USB ports on your console. If your adapter has automatic pairing functionality, it should have paired by now. Otherwise, press its pairing button.
- Make your AirPods discoverable by pressing the setup button at the backside of the charging case until the status lights turn white.
- Both the AirPods and Bluetooth adapter are connected now. To check this, go to the Settings of your PS5 console.
- Navigate to Sound.
- Select Output Device.
- You’ll find your AirPods (or the name of the connected adapter) under the Output Device list.
That’s it. Your Apple earbuds are now usable with the PS5.
Not sure of which adapter you need to connect AirPods to PS5? Below is the answer.
What Adapter Do I Need to Connect AirPods to PS5?
Generally, all adapters let you connect AirPods to PS5. But below are my 5 favorite options you can check out.
Reasons to buy:
- aptX support
- Data transfer rate of 3 Mbps
- No driver installation required
- Ideal for general applications as well, besides streaming
Reasons to buy:
- Optimized for AirPods & AirPods Pro
- Allows dual simultaneous connections
- Low latency
- Sleek design
Reasons to buy:
- Real-time audio sync for low latency
- Compact fit to carry anywhere
- More stable and reliable BT v5.2 technology
- Fully backward compatible
Reasons to buy:
- A wide range of button combinations is possible
- Upgradable firmware
- No audio lag
- Vibration support on X-input mode
Reasons to buy:
- Supports 6-axis motion (Gyroscope) on Switch
- Compatible with all major game controllers
- Integrated Turbo and Auto Fire functionality
- Can be used in wireless and wired mode
How to Connect Airpods to PS5 via a Smart TV?
If you’ve got a Smart TV at home, taking advantage of its integrated Bluetooth functionality is a must! It’s a great way to connect AirPods to the PS5 without needing an adapter.
Note: The following process will vary depending on your TV’s brand and model.
I’m using the Samsung Smart TV, for which the steps are:
- Go to the Settings of your television unit from the home screen. Alternatively, press the Settings button on the TV remote.
- Select Sound from the left panel.
- Choose Sound Output from the menu that opens.
- Under Sound Output, go to Bluetooth Speaker List. This will prompt your Smart TV to search for nearby Bluetooth devices.
- Next, make your AirPods discoverable by pressing the setup button at the back of their charging case until the status lights turn white.
- Wait for your earbuds to appear under the Bluetooth Speaker List. Once they show up, just select them for pairing.
- A confirmation that AirPods are connected will pop up. Click OK to confirm.
This completes the process of how to connect AirPods to PS5 via a Smart TV.
How to Connect Airpods to PS5 Using the PS Remote Play App?
If you don’t have a Smart TV, you can connect your AirPods to the PS5 via Sony’s official PS Remote Play app, as well. I’ve specified below all the steps for your convenience.
- Check if your PS5 console and mobile phone (iOS/Android) are connected to the same Wi-Fi network. If not, do it now. For smoother gameplay, an internet speed of at least 15 Mbps is recommended.
- Open your console’s Settings.
- Scroll down to System.
- Select Remote Play.
- You’ll find the Enable Remote Play option. Toggle it ON.
- Return to the settings, and select Power Saving from the left panel.
- Under Features Available in Rest Mode, turn on Stay Connected to the Internet and Enable Turning on PS5 from Network.
- Open the PS Remote Play app on your device. You can easily install it if you haven’t already done so.
- Sign into the same PSN account logged in on your PS5 console.
- The app will now search for your console and connect automatically. As the last step, pair your AirPods to the mobile phone, which is also connected to the PS5 via Remote Play.
As you can see, it’s not very hard to connect your AirPods to PS5, using the PS Remote Play App. Also, you may wish to check out the video tutorial below for more detailed instructions.
How to Connect AirPods to PS5: FAQs
Q: Can You Use AirPods on PS5 as a Mic?
A: No, AirPods can’t be used on PS5 as a mic because the latter doesn’t support Bluetooth audio devices for in-game communication or voice chat.
Q: Can I Connect Bluetooth Headphones (or Earbuds) to PS5?
A: Bluetooth headphones (or earbuds) can connect to PS5. However, I should point out that there’s no direct way to do so. You must use any of the workarounds mentioned above like using a BT adapter, connecting them to a Smart TV, or the PS Remote Play app.
Q: Can I Use AirPods Max With PS5?
Q: Can You Connect AirPods to Android Devices?
A: Yes, you can easily connect your Apple AirPods with Android devices if they are Bluetooth enabled. It’s just that you won’t be able to use some iOS-specific features, like Siri, battery indicator, automatic device switching, etc.
Q: Can You Connect AirPods to PS4?
A: Similar to PS5, you can connect AirPods to PS4. Here, you also have three options to choose from – via a compatible Bluetooth adapter, the PS Remote Play app, or a Smart TV.
Here you go, gamers.
That’s how you combine the power of PlayStation 5 with the convenience of AirPods to take your gaming experience to the next level. But no in-built Bluetooth audio support in the PS5 (or any Sony PS) means relying on external workaround tricks for the setup, which may have certain drawbacks.
For example, static noises, audio dropouts, frequent disconnections, etc. will mar your overall experience. If you can handle these, go ahead, and pick any of the above methods to connect the two devices.