Hulu is a popular app used on Amazon Fire Stick, home to exclusive TV shows and movies. However, several users have been experiencing issues using Hulu on Firestick in the past few months, frequent freezing and black screen being the two major problems.
How to fix Hulu not working on Firestick? To make Hulu work on your Firestick, simply restart the Firestick and update the Hulu app. Here’s how to do it:
- Click on the Home Button for 10 seconds, and choose My Fire TV. Now click on Restart, and wait for a minute.
- Click on the Search icon and type Hulu using the remote as the Firestick restarts. Select Update, and wait for a few seconds.
The chances are high that the Hulu app will work smoothly. However, if it still fails to work or you experience other issues, you need to read this detailed guide. The article contains all possible causes why Hulu doesn’t work on a Firestick.
I have also listed some tried-and-tested solutions you can use to make Hulu work.
Table Of Contents
Reasons Why Hulu is Not Working on Firestick
There can be many reasons why Hulu is not working on Firestick, and I have compiled all of the possible issues in this article. Just go through it and figure out what’s stopping the Hulu app from working.
Poor Internet Connection or Internet Not Working
Your Firestick requires an active internet to load the Hulu app, and if your internet has some problems, Hulu won’t work. Make sure you have a high-speed internet connection with enough bandwidth to spare.
The Hulu library demands at least 10 MBPS speed for streaming 1080p content without any lags. You can also try lowering the picture quality to use Hulu even on an average internet connection.
The Hulu Servers are Experiencing an Outage
Usually, Hulu services don’t go down, but sometimes there can be an outage. This could be due to updates of services or any other unforeseeable reason. During this particular timeframe, you won’t be able to use the Hulu app.
Check if Hulu is working on your smartphone and other devices. There is, of course, no solution to this issue, and all you need to do is wait. Get in touch with the Hulu team and ask them for an expected time the app will start working.
The Hulu App Requires an Update
Even if you use an older version, the Hulu app will work but slowly. Also, in some cases, the app will not load properly. As a result, you won’t be able to use it.
Outdated Fire OS
Even if you have an up-to-date Hulu app, it still may not work. The reason is an outdated Fire OS running on your Firestick. It can cause problems while using several apps, and Hulu could be one of them.
Hulu License has Expired
This is a one-of-a-kind issue, but there is a possibility it can happen. The app will not load on your Firestick after the license expires. Getting in touch with Hulu support is the only solution in this case.
Hulu App Not Closing
I haven’t experienced this issue, but some users asked me “how to close the Hulu app on Firestick.” This issue can arise when you use an outdated version, or some software glitch can also be held responsible.
Fix Hulu Issues on Firestick: Tried and Tested Solutions
Now that you know about some possible Hulu app problems you can experience let’s hop on the solutions. I have tried most of these solutions, and they work. Go through these solutions, and make the Hulu app work again.
Fix the Internet Connection
Check the internet connection and ensure it is connected to your Firestick. Also, you need to run a quick speed test to ensure there is enough bandwidth to load the app and run it.=
Below are some steps you should follow to fix the internet issue:
- Get your Firestick remote and open the Settings menu.
- Now choose Networks, and find your Wi-Fi name by clicking on All Networks.
- Select the Wi-Fi name and choose disconnect. Connect to the wireless network again by entering the Password.
- Once done, load the Hulu app again.
Some users reported that their Hulu app works slowly, and it could be due to a slow internet connection. Below I have attached a table on the minimum bandwidth you need to stream
Hulu on Firestick.
|4K streaming||15 MBPS or more|
|For Streaming Live TV||8 MBPS or more|
|1080p||6 MBPS or more|
|Standard Definition||3 MBPS or more|
If the internet speeds are not on par with what is mentioned in the table, you may experience some issues with the Hulu app.
Update the Hulu App
Next, you need to update the Hulu app to make its streaming smooth and unforgettable. Here are the steps to update the Hulu app using Firestick.
- Tap on the Search icon, and type Hulu.
- Click on the app icon, and choose Update.
- Wait for a few seconds, and let the app update completely.
- Once done, choose Open, and your Firestick will update the Hulu app.
Restart the Firestick
Try streaming using the Hulu app, and if you still face any issues, you should restart the Firestick. Follow these steps to reboot the Firestick:
- Press and hold the Home button for 10 seconds, and click on Settings.
- Choose My Fire TV, and scroll down.
- Select Restart, and your Firestick will reboot.
This may take a few minutes, so wait for the screen to load and relaunch the Hulu app.
Update the Firestick
If the Hulu app still does not work, you may need to update the Firestick. An older Fire OS can create issues in launching the Hulu app, as discussed above.
Here are some steps to update the Fire TV Stick:
- Press and hold the Home button for 10 seconds, and select Settings.
- Scroll down and choose My Fire TV. For older Firestick versions, you need to select Device and Software.
- Click on About, and select Check for Updates.
- Now choose Install update if there is a new update available. Click here to know more about the latest Fire OS versions according to your Firestick model.
Once the software updates itself, the Firestick will reboot. Now try to launch the Hulu app and stream your favorite content.
Clear the Hulu App Cache
Like any other app, the Hulu app has a cache, and sometimes it can cause trouble loading the app. Follow these steps to clear the Hulu app cache on the go.
- Click and hold the Home button for 10-12 seconds, and select Settings.
- Now choose Applications and select Manage Installed Applications.
- Scroll down and find the Hulu app, select it, and scroll down.
- Now choose Clear Cache and wait for a few minutes.
You can even clear the data by following similar steps; just choose clear data instead of clear cache.
Note: Clearing the data will reset the Hulu app, and your library and other stuff may also get deleted.
Reinstall the Hulu App
If none of the above steps make the Hulu app work, you could try reinstalling it. Reinstalling the app will solve several problems, such as you’ll get the latest version, and the cache will restore. Just follow these steps, and you are good to go:
- Go to the Applications menu and select Settings.
- Click Manage Installed Applications and scroll until you find Hulu.
- Click on the app and choose Uninstall.
- Press the Home button and click on the Search icon.
- Type Hulu and search for the app.
- Download it back from the Fire TV store.
Launch the app, enter your login credentials, and try streaming the services.
How to Close Hulu App on Firestick?
Sometimes the Hulu app freezes and fails to respond to the controller. As a result, you get stuck on the screen. Here’s what to do in this situation:
Restart the Firestick
- Press the Home button for 10 seconds, and choose Settings.
- Select My Fire TV, and scroll down.
- Select Restart, and your Firestick will reboot.
Force Restart the Firestick
If the remote stops responding and you cannot restart the Fire TV Stick, you need to force reboot it. Plug out the Firestick from the HDMI port, and wait for a few seconds. Then, plug the Firestick back in to refresh the device quickly.
You can now launch the Hulu app and use it to stream content online.
Hulu App Not Found on Firestick
Some Firestick users also reported that the Hulu app did not find issues, which could be due to geo-restriction issues. Hulu streaming services are not available in every country, and if you live in a country where they don’t serve, you will not find them on the Fire TV store. However, this problem can also be solved using a VPN. A virtual private network to change your location on the web servers can help you download Hulu and stream.
I have not tried using this method, and I’m not sure if it’ll help since the new Hulu servers can easily find your location.
Here are the steps to download and launch a VPN on your Firestick to watch Hulu:
- Go to Apps> Categories > Utilities on the Home Screen, and type VPN in the search bar.
- You’ll get a list of VPNs and install one for which you have an active subscription.
- Open the installed app, and enter your login credentials.
- Now choose US servers and click connect.
You can now find the Hulu app in the Fire TV store and download it to stream your favorite content.
How to Fix Hulu Freezing or Black Screen Problem on Amazon Fire TV Stick
A freezing and black screen on Hulu is not that common, but some users have experienced this issue. There are multiple solutions you can opt for to fix this issue, and I’ve listed all of them below:
Power Cycle Your TV
- Turn off the TV and remove all connected devices. Now turn the Wi-Fi router off and wait for some time.
- Plug all devices back in and reconnect them with Wi-Fi.
- You can now launch the Hulu app.
Reinstall the Hulu App
- Uninstall the Hulu app from your Firestick.
- Install it again, and enter login credentials.
- You can now check if the app is still having any issues.
Reinstalling the Hulu app is very helpful and will certainly fix the black screen and the freezing issue.
Q: How do I refresh Hulu on Fire Stick?
A: To refresh Hulu, you can reboot Firestick. Plug the Fire TV Stick out from the HDMI port and put it back in. Relaunch the app, and it’ll be refreshed. Reinstalling the app also helps in restoring it.
Q: Why is Hulu suddenly not working?
A: This could be due to various reasons, such as the app servers not responding or poor internet connectivity. Check if the internet is working fine, and then use https://downdetector.com/status/hulu/ to find out if Hulu servers are down or not.
Q: How do I restart Hulu on my Firestick?
A: To restart the app, you need to close it and relaunch it. You can also reboot the Firestick in order to restart the Hulu app.
Q: Hulu freezing frequently, what should I do?
A: If the Hulu app is freezing multiple times, you need to reinstall the app. First, power cycles your TV by turning it off and then on. Next, reboot the Firestick to fix this issue.
Whenever the Hulu app does not work on your Firestick, you can follow the steps above and fix the issue. Make sure to update your app and keep the Firestick updated in order to avoid such problems in the first place. Next, you should have a fast internet connection to stream 4K content without lag.
Stay tuned with The Wired Shopper for more interesting and informative posts on Amazon Firestick and related devices.