As a gamer, installing spiraling and often obstructive Ethernet cables from the router to a gaming kit in the office or bedroom is the last thing you want to do. Therefore, I have compiled the six best Wifi extenders to give you uninterrupted game time all over your house.
This review considers the core factors you should assess when choosing a Wifi extender: the frequency band network, beamforming and MU-MIMO streaming, bandwidth, and range coverage.
Suppose you have wondered which Wifi extender is the best overall option for PS4 and PS5, with an Ethernet port, the best entry-level, the best premium, or the best Xbox. In that case, this article will ensure you get satisfactory answers. Let’s get to it.
Table Of Contents
- 1 6 best Wifi extenders discussed in this review include:
- 2 What to Consider When Buying Wifi Extenders
- 3 Do WiFi Extenders Help with Gaming?
- 4 What Wifi Signal is Best for Gaming?
- 5 How to Boost Your Wifi for Gaming
- 6 Which WiFi Extender Is the Most Effective for Gaming?
- 7 Best Overall Wifi Extender for Gaming
- 8 Best Wifi Extender for Xbox
- 9 Best For Premium Wifi Extender For Gaming
- 10 Best for Entry-Level
- 11 Best Wifi Extender for PS4 & PS5
- 12 Best Wifi Extender for Gaming With Ethernet Port
- 13 Conclusion
6 best Wifi extenders discussed in this review include:
- Best Overall: Netgear Nighthawk WiFi Range Extender (EX7300)
- Best for Xbox: TP-Link AC1900 Smart WiFi Router
- Best For Premium: NETGEAR WiFi Mesh Range Extender EX8000
- Best for Entry-Level: NETGEAR Wireless Range Extender EX6200
- Best for PS4 & PS5: Linksys RE7000 Range Extender
- Best for Ethernet Port: TP-Link WiFi AC1750 Extender
Related: Wifi Extenders vs. Wifi Boosters – What Are The Differences?
What to Consider When Buying Wifi Extenders
Before we unpack 6 of the best Wifi extenders, we must go through the various features to factor in when choosing your preferred Wifi extender. They include;
- Bandwidth – determines the volume of data you can send or receive in a snap of time.
- Frequency Network Band– the best wifi extenders have a dual-band frequency network. The higher the frequency band, the faster the internet. I highly recommend 2.4Hz and 5Hz.
- Extensive Range– the whole idea of wifi extenders is to ensure you can enjoy constant connectivity even away from the router without cables. Therefore, when buying a wifi extender, ensure you have extensive coverage in square feet.
- Compatibility– avoid being in a situation where the wifi extender you got cannot connect with other devices. Ensure the extender you get is compatible with laptops, routers, or smartphones.
- Ensure that your extender can support beamforming and MU-MIMO technology.
Do WiFi Extenders Help with Gaming?
In a word, yes, wifi extenders are suitable for gamers. As far as features go, switching between two different bands is the most important one for a good WiFi extender for gaming. The 2.4GHz band can reach 600Mbps, while the 5GHz band can reach 1,300Mbps. These data transfer rates are a miracle if you’re an online player or streamer.
What Wifi Signal is Best for Gaming?
A 5GHz Wi-Fi signal is not optimal for gaming, but it should be fast enough for most titles.
On the flip side, gaming over an Ethernet connection is the surest way to enjoy flawless competitive play, fast reactions, and little lag.
For the best online gaming experience, connect your computer or gaming console directly to your router using an Ethernet cable.
Related: What Is a Good Latency for Gaming?
How to Boost Your Wifi for Gaming
Here’s some advice on how to get a faster Internet connection and decrease lag;
- Discover the Bandwidth and Download Speed of Your Internet Connection.
- Make sure that no tabs or apps are open in the background.
- Utilize an Ethernet wire to connect your gadget to the web.
- Join an In-House Server.
- Restart the Router Power Supply.
- Upgrade to a New Router.
Which WiFi Extender Is the Most Effective for Gaming?
First, I commend the NETGEAR WiFi Extender EX7300. There’s no question why it’s at the top of my list; it has so many valuable features, as you will see.
It has dual-band connectivity, so you may add as many as 40 smart devices to your network. The 2,300 square foot range means you won’t lose connection as you move from room to room.
Second, on the list is the TP-Link AC1900 Smart WiFi Router which has widespread availability and high quality. It supports two frequencies at once. It can deliver up to 1,400Mbps on the 5GHz band, giving you a miraculous gaming experience, and 700Mbps on the higher-frequency 2.4GHz band.
Third, we have the NETGEAR WiFi Mesh Range Extender EX8000, which, like our prior pick, can provide incredible capabilities.
It’s more expensive, but it’s the best option if you’re trying to figure out how to increase your WiFi coverage area.
Best Overall Wifi Extender for Gaming
The Netgear Nighthawk EX7300 is the best overall Wifi extender due to its many AMAZING features, easy installation, and speed.
Gamers! The good news is this extender has a bandwidth of up to 2200 Mbps. That means high and fast connectivity.
It’s compatible with Wifi capabilities that heighten performance, such as beamforming and MU-MIMO streaming. Such technology ensures that you can send data to consistent clients simultaneously.
It appears first on this list with a 4.1-star rating and costs $86 on Amazon.
- It supports MU-MIMO streaming and beamforming technology.
- It has a bandwidth of 2200 Mbps
- It has extensive coverage of up to 2300 square feet
- it has a dual frequency bands of 2.4 Hz and 5Hz
- It weighs 0.66 pounds.
- Easy to set up
- Ability to connect up to 40 gadgets
- Provides MU-MIMO Streaming
- Fast internet speed enabled by the dual bands
- Able to send and receive a high volume of data due to its bandwidth
- Requires one to create an account with them before activation
Best Wifi Extender for Xbox
It’s worth noting that the best Wifi extenders for gaming and video streaming should be a dual-band model. The TP-Link AC1900 Smart Wifi router grants a 600Mbps and 1300Mbps data transfer speed enabled by the 2.4Hz and 5Hz bands, respectively.
What could be more fantastic news for a gamer or a streamer? These download rates will make the Internet more enjoyable and the gaming time momentous.
Additionally, Archer A9 has MU-MIMO technology that fastens communication between gadgets, enabling peak efficiency. AC1900 has three dominant data streams; all connected devices can enjoy higher transfer rates.
- Transfer speed of 1.9Gbps
- Three high-frequency antennas and high-profile amplifiers
- Laser-focused Wifi enabled by beam forming technology
- Two USB ports for sharing easily
- Dual frequency bands of 2.4Hz and 5Hz.
- Fast and hassle-free to install
- Future-proofed by the IPv6 Support
- Grants secure guest network access enabled by the dual bands
- It’s less bulky due to its lightweight
- It has an incredible speed of 1.9Gbps
- Compatibility with Alexa
- Enables sharing to other devices using its dual USB ports.
- It has few gaming features in comparison to other products
Best For Premium Wifi Extender For Gaming
The Nighthawk Tri-band Wi-Fi Range Extender is best for premium due to its ability to create robust network connectivity. It establishes a network using your router’s SSID. That is made possible by the 2.4GHz and 5GHz band networks.
The good news for gamers and streamers is that EX8000 comes with a quad-core processor that allows for the best 4K video streaming. This extender chooses the best available Wifi channel for each appliance. That way, you can make your house and garden Wi-Fi accessible, which means connectivity freedom.
- Wi-Fi range expansion up to 2800 square feet
- It supports up to 55 simultaneous devices.
- With smart roaming, you’ll never lose connection as you wander.
- It has a speed of up to 3000 Mbps
- Ideal for 4K HD streaming and online multiplayer gaming Wi-Fi-enabled devices.
- It has a wire-based Ethernet connection that enables plugging in high-performance gaming.
- Compatible with Wired Equivalent Privacy
- Simple and quick to set
- The extensive coverage area of 2,800 square feet
- Can connect up to 55 intelligent devices can be connected to it
- The router’s password ensures a secure connection
- With 3000Mbps, its speed is heavenly.
- It’s costly compared to other extenders, going for $155 on Amazon but best for premium services.
Best for Entry-Level
This WiFi range booster has dual-band capability, much to your satisfaction. If the router you use has 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz signals, EX6200 is your best choice to amplify and broadcast the Wifi signals.
With 700 mW amplifiers and 5dBi antennas, EX is reliable for strengthening your transmission. Suppose you require quick and reliable connection hardware, your devices to it.
- Its frequency speed is 1,200 Mbps, which plays a vital role in gaming.
- Every type of router supports its universal compatibility
- Ethernet cables increase instant connectivity to smart devices
- Increase your WiFi’s range and coverage with the help of a digital media server
- Leverages state-of-the-art amplifiers and antennas for a more robust system
- Quick and easy setup
- It has a powerful and efficient dual-core CPU, which makes it the best for gaming Xbox.
- It connects to a router via Wi-Fi, Ethernet, and USB easily.
- With the amplifiers and antennas, it’s reliable to strengthen your connection
- It’s affordable for an entry-level wifi extender on Amazon.
- The dual-band ensures your connection is uninterruptible.
- It may experience connection problems when reset.
Best Wifi Extender for PS4 & PS5
The Linksys RE7000, also known as the Max-Stream AC1900+, is a powerful tool for expanding your existing Wi-Fi network range. This extender comes with the support of MU MIMO technology that grants faster connectivity to connected gadgets in your apartment.
For gamers, MU MIMO technology will allow faster connections to all connected devices, regardless of location within the home, which gives you the freedom to game from any spot in your house.
- Thanks to MU-MIMO technology, your group’s internet experience will be smoother.
- Locate the ideal spot for your extension using Spot Finder Technology.
- An improved WiFi signal is explicitly transmitted to your mobile device thanks to the beamforming function.
- At 1,900 Mbps, it’s reliable to play games and watch videos.
- With Seamless Roaming, you may have a constant connection throughout the home.
- With a 1900Mbps speed, gaming becomes enjoyable and reliable.
- Available with 1-Gb Ethernet Port which makes it best for gaming PS4 and PS5.
- It covers a wide range of up to 2500 square feet
- Constant connection enabled by seamless roaming
- Moderate price.
- Installation may be cumbersome since the instructions are unclear
Best Wifi Extender for Gaming With Ethernet Port
The RE450 AC1750 is a dual-frequency band range booster that enhances faster and more robust Wi-Fi signals. It is the best for an ethernet port because it comes with a Gb Ethernet port to link a wired computer to Wi-Fi router signals. With network speed rates up to 1750Mbps, you can stream 4K videos and easily play online games.
To enhance your gaming experience, AC1750 supports the Beamforming technology essential in finding and boosting Wi-Fi to every connected device around the range.
- The booster’s improved connectivity to smartphones and tablets is made possible through a USB 2.0 connector.
- With the help of Signal Light, you can locate the optimal location for your amplifier’s extension.
- The frequency speed of 1,750 Mbps is exemplary for gaming and the best quality video streaming.
- Three antennas improve network strength.
- It provides WiFi coverage of up to 2,000 square feet.
- This amplifier supports the pairing of up to 32 smart devices.
- It uses less room than a standard desktop extension.
- High-frequency speed of 1750Mbps
- Relatively cheap.
- It uses a different identity other than the one assigned.
As helpful as they can be, Wi-Fi range boosters aren’t always the answer. If your system needs drastic development, upgrading to a mesh router for your Wi-Fi network could be an excellent method.
A reliable mesh system should utilize tri-band technology and offer consistent connection throughout the home. In addition to Wi-Fi, many can connect to an Ethernet network, allowing for more outstanding performance and simpler network administration through a dedicated mobile app.
You should know that a mesh router could cost you more than a range extender. But it is worth every dime you put into it. Choose from the six best wifi extenders discussed above or purchase a mesh router depending on your situation.