You have probably connected your android phone or iPhone device to several Wi-Fi networks in restaurants or private businesses, and your device remembers all the passwords. Perhaps you want to connect a second device, like a smart TV, to the saved Wi-Fi, but you cannot remember.
Do not fret! Getting a plain text password for the wireless network from your connected phone settings is possible, but it is not straightforward at first glance. Read along the following quick steps to find the Wi-Fi password on your phone:
- Go to the Wi-Fi submenu in your phone setting
- Click the current Wi-Fi network or select one of the “Saved Networks.”
- Click “share” below the Wi-Fi name
- Authenticate yourself in case your device has security set up
- View the plain text Wi-Fi password under the QR code
Take note that it will be easier to access the Wi-Fi password if you use a phone with Android Skin, like Samsung Galaxy. It will even be more straightforward than using Stock Android-on like Google Pixel model or iPhone and iPad like iOS and iPadOS 16.
Related: How to Airdrop Wi-Fi Password?
Table Of Contents
- 1 Learn How to View Saved Wi-Fi Password on Your iPhone
- 2 Access Saved Wi-Fi Password on Your Android Phone without Rooting
- 3 Access Wi-Fi Password on Phone When Connected Through QR Code
- 4 Find Wi-Fi Password on Your Phone without QR Code
- 5 Retrieve Wi-Fi Password on Android 10 and Later
- 6 Recover Wi-Fi Passwords from Your Android 9 Phone and Older
- 7 Final Thoughts
Learn How to View Saved Wi-Fi Password on Your iPhone
Currently, iPhone iOS neither allows sharing of Wi-Fi passwords with other devices apart from Apple ones, nor do they show the password. Fortunately, with the latest iOS16 feature, you can go to your iPhone setting and view your wireless network password. Below is a quick guide on how to do it:
- Go to Wi-Fi
- Select the Wi-Fi network you want to view the password for and click on the blue information icon on the right of the Wi-Fi Network
- Click on the password, use Face ID or Touch ID, and put your passcode to see the password.
- Tap “copy” to save the password to your phone clipboard
Access Saved Wi-Fi Password on Your Android Phone without Rooting
Passwords typically protect Wi-Fi services, but if you log in once, your android phone will save the password. Unluckily, you cannot see the saved password directly unless you root your phone, which should be avoided if possible. You can see your saved Wi-Fi network password on your android phone without rooting it in the following steps:
- Go to your android phone setting and choose network and internet from the menu
- Click on the Wi-Fi; you will see a list of saved Wi-Fi connections
- Click on the name of the Wi-Fi connection you want to know the password
- Tap on the share icon to produce the QR code carrying the Wi-Fi credentials
- Download a QR code reader app on your android phone and utilize it to open the image and recover the password
Access Wi-Fi Password on Phone When Connected Through QR Code
Alternatively, there is a savvy solution to view your Wi-Fi password on your android phone without rooting. However, this method is only practical when your phone is connected to the Wi-Fi network you intend to retrieve the password for. Also, the QR code solution is not available on all android devices.
The method utilizes a share network option through a QR code and can be exploited to view your Wi-Fi password without necessarily rooting your phone.
Find Wi-Fi Password on Your Phone without QR Code
You should find a file explorer application if your phone does not support the QR code method. This application enables you to search for passwords in your phone memory and access files without rooting your device.
Besides, you can download the file explorer application from the internet into your device before commencing the steps of revealing your Wi-Fi password. Notably, the explorer app has no guarantee of effectively working on your android device; nonetheless, it is an option to try.
Follow these steps to view saved Wi-Fi Password on your android device without rooting using the file explorer app:
- Download and install the app on your android device
- Open the app and utilize it to search the system folder on your phone
- Navigate through the subfolders till you see the folder named “Wi-Fi” and open it
- Look for the file with the name ‘wpa_supplicant.conf’, which carries all password data
- Open it to see your Wi-Fi network password
Retrieve Wi-Fi Password on Android 10 and Later
Android 10 and later models allow you to view saved Wi-Fi passwords without rooting. To view, go to phone settings, specifically network, and internet. For Android 10 and 11, tap Wi-Fi; while on android 12, click internet instead. Your connected wireless connection will pop at the top of the available networks.
Tap on it and view the options provided in the wireless connection. In case you are not linked to the correct Wi-Fi network, you can proceed to choose a different one from the list provided.
Go to the Wireless network overview page and tap the share button; you will be required to enter your fingerprint or pin confirmation details to gain access. Once you are done, your Wi-Fi password will be displayed immediately after the QR code.
Recover Wi-Fi Passwords from Your Android 9 Phone and Older
If your phone runs on android 9 and older, you cannot find your Wi-Fi password unless you are rooted on a device. The reason is that the file that keeps the Wi-Fi credentials for all saved networks on your device stays in a protected location on your phone. In such a case, you are not allowed to view the file within, hence the need for rooting.
If you are rooted and you intend to retrieve your Wi-Fi password on your android nine and below, you should try a file explorer app as prior mentioned. In case this method does not work for your device, you can opt to use an Android Wi-Fi password viewer app like Wi-Fi Password Viewer. It permits you to choose a Wi-Fi network from the list and view the password.
Conclusively, accessing your internet connection is hugely becoming necessary in the modern era. Unfortunately, some Wi-Fi passwords are hard to remember, making it impossible to log in when pinched. The good news is that finding your Wi-Fi passwords on your phone is no longer a chore and has been made possible through the ways mentioned above.