We’ve all been there. What is supposed to be a simple task becomes a daunting hour-long IT nightmare. There’s nothing more irritating than to waste time troubleshooting your printer, for instance. It’s common, when dealing with a printer, for frustrations to abound, especially if you’ve got connectivity issues. And resolving those often requires knowing the printer’s IP address. So, where is the IP address on a printer?
To find a printer’s IP address, follow the steps below (for Windows 10):
- Open the Control Panel
- Select Hardware and Sound
- Choose Devices and Printers
- Right-click on the printer and select Properties
If only three tabs appear, you’ll see the IP address in the Web Services tab.
Knowing your printer’s IP address is critical for troubleshooting or connecting it to your network. After all, a printer’s IP address is like its street address. Without it, you can’t assign the printer printing jobs, nor can you give it other commands.
Follow the guide below to find your printer’s IP address on any computer using different methods.
Table Of Contents
- 1 How to Find Your Printer’s IP Address
- 1.1 1. Finding a Printer’s IP Address Using Windows 10
- 1.2 2. Using Command Prompt to Find Your Printer’s IP Address
- 1.3 3. Printer Properties
- 1.4 4. Using the CUPS Webpage to Find Your Printer’s IP Address
- 1.5 5. Finding Your Printer’s IP Address Using the Network Configuration Page
- 1.6 6. Finding the Printer’s IP Address From the Router
- 1.7 7. How to Locate a Printer’s IP Address on the Printer’s Menu
- 2 How to Find the IP Address of a Printer That’s Not Connected
- 3 What a Printer IP Address Looks Like
- 4 What a Printer IP Address is for Wireless Printer
- 5 How to Find the Printer IP Address From a Phone
- 6 How to Find the Printer IP Address on an iPhone
- 7 How to Find the IP Address of a Printer on a Mac
- 8 Configuring the HP Printer IP Address
- 9 Where Is the IP Address on a Printer? FAQs
- 10 Conclusion
How to Find Your Printer’s IP Address
There are several methods to find your printer’s IP address. You can use Windows settings, command prompt, or Windows 10. Alternatively, you can use the printer’s menu or router to locate the printer’s IP address.
1. Finding a Printer’s IP Address Using Windows 10
Image by Nordvpn
Find your printer’s IP address using Windows 10 by following the procedure below:
- Go to the Control Panel
- Click on Hardware and Sound
- Select Devices and Printers
- Right-click on the printer and choose Properties.
- Check the IP address using the Web Services tab if only three tabs appear.
- Another alternative is to go to the Ports tab and check the printer’s IP address when five tabs appear.
Please note the printer’s driver either uses Web Services for Devices (WSD) or a TCP/IP port to connect. Depending on the printer’s connectivity, three or five tabs appear on a mini window.
2. Using Command Prompt to Find Your Printer’s IP Address
Image by Freecodecamp
Here’s how to use the command prompt to find the IP address:
- Press the Windows key
- Type cmd to open the Command Prompt.
- Key in netstat- r and press Enter.
- You’ll see a network devices list connected to your PC and your printer’s IP.
3. Printer Properties
Image by Howtogeek
You can use the Control Panel on Windows to locate the printer’s IP address.
- Select Settings > Devices > Printers and Scanners.
- On the list, click on your printer and choose Manage.
- Select Printer Properties.
- On the General tab, identify the Location field. You’ll find the printer’s IP address there.
4. Using the CUPS Webpage to Find Your Printer’s IP Address
- Click on the Applications folder, then proceed to Utilities.
- Click to open Terminal.
- Key in cupsctl WebInterface=yes, then click Enter. You have now enabled the CUPS Web Interface.
- Using Safari, type localhost:631/printers on the address bar.
- You’ll see your printer’s IP address shown in the Location column.
5. Finding Your Printer’s IP Address Using the Network Configuration Page
A printout of a network configuration page from almost all printers shows the printer’s IP address. Thus, check out specific instructions in your printer’s manual. You can also achieve similar results by long-pressing a particular button or via the printer’s settings.
- For example, when using a Canon imageRUNNER printer, you can go to Main Menu > Settings > Preferences > Network.
- For HP LaserJet Pro M1212n, go to Set Up
- Select Reports
- Click on Reports Demo Page
- Select Config Report
- The page should print
- If you’re using a printer without a display screen, you’ll notice that they print the network configuration page when you long-press the Wi-Fi, Go, or Power buttons for 5-10 seconds.
6. Finding the Printer’s IP Address From the Router
- If you have access rights to the router, log in and go to the setup menu to find the printer’s IP address.
- Type 192.168.1.1 on any web browser and hit enter.
- Key in the router’s username and password.
- Once you’ve gained access, locate a client list (you’ll find it under the Local Network section) or the DHCP Client Table.
- Once you’ve opened the client list, click on your printer, and you’ll see its IP address.
7. How to Locate a Printer’s IP Address on the Printer’s Menu
You must refer to the exact location on the printer’s manual for instructions on where to find the IP address. Alternatively, the steps below should guide you to the specific part of the menu where you’ll find the information.
- To display the menu, click the Home button
- Choose Preferences
- Go to Options or Wireless Settings
- Confirm at the top of the next box that shows because the IP address sometimes shows on the top border
- Still can’t see it? Check at the View Wireless Details section
Related: How to Print From iPad to HP Printer
How to Find the IP Address of a Printer That’s Not Connected
Some reasons a printer may not be connected to a printer include the following:
- The USB cable may be damaged
- Maybe your computer isn’t detecting the printer
- Lack of installation of printer drivers
- The printer may be off
While some printers may allow users to check the IP address via its menu displayed on the LCD screen, other printers don’t have the feature. If that’s your case, here’s how you can find your printer’s IP address when it’s not connected:
- Click on your PC start button and type cmd, then press Enter.
- Key in ip config and press Enter. You’ll see the printer IP address and other network information.
- Write ping, then add the IP address and press Enter.
- Key in arp-a and press Enter. You’ll see a list of devices connected to your network and each device’s IP address.
What a Printer IP Address Looks Like
What does a printer IP address look like? How do you identify it? An Internet Protocol (IP) address is a series of numbers that identifies devices on a network. A printer’s IP address has 12 digits that connect it to the internet or another device.
Periods separate the string of digits. It’s a set of four numbers, i.e., 184.108.40.206, and each number ranges from 0 to 255. So, a complete IP address goes from 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255.
An IP address isn’t random. It’s produced and allocated mathematically by the IANA (Internet Assigned Numbers Authority), a division of the ICANN (Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers.
Related: Why Is Your HP Printer Not Connecting to Wi-Fi?
What a Printer IP Address is for Wireless Printer
Every printer, whether wireless or otherwise, contains an IP address that lets it seamlessly connect to a PC or other devices through a Wi-Fi network. Wireless printers get an IP address through the DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol). The interface automatically allocates an IP address to devices that connect to different networks.
Furthermore, the static IP address stays with the wireless printer and isn’t assigned to other devices, which minimizes device conflict on networks. It allows the printer to connect seamlessly to your PC or other devices through Wi-Fi.
The benefits of knowing the IP address of a wireless printer include the ability to connect with devices such as a cellphone without needing to connect to a Wi-Fi network, depending on the settings.
In addition, having a printer’s IP address lets you key in a ping command in the command prompt from any PC when experiencing printer issues. It allows you to check if the printer is in the network.
How to Find the Printer IP Address From a Phone
Finding the printer IP address from your phone helps connect your printer to your phone. Here’s what you need to do to find the printer’s IP address:
- Go to the Control Panel and select Devices and Printers.
Image by Lifewire
- Right-click the printer and choose Properties.
Image by Lifewire
- Choose the Ports tab. You’ll find the IP address displayed in the Port field.
Image by Lifewire
- If you don’t see the IP address, choose Configure Port, and you’ll see the printer IP address.
How to Find the Printer IP Address on an iPhone
Finding the printer IP address on an iPhone helps you connect your printer to your iPhone.
If you wish to find the printer’s IP address on an iPhone, here’s what to do:
- First, connect the iPhone to the printer’s network.
- Download an ePrint free app from the Apple iTunes store.
- Go to the Control Panel.
- Choose the Printers and Faxes option.
- Right-click on the Network Printer.
- Choose Properties, which you’ll find under the Network Printer menu.
- The IP address shows under the Ports tab.
How to Find the IP Address of a Printer on a Mac
To locate a printer’s IP address on Mac, use the following procedure:
- Open the MacBook and right-click the Apple logo that you’ll find on the upper left corner of the screen.
- Click on System Preferences and select Printer Scanner.
- For one or more printers, double-click on the printer you intend to use and find its IP address.
- You’ll see the 12-digit unique IP address.
Configuring the HP Printer IP Address
The purpose of an IP address is to handle connections between devices that send and receive information across a network. An IP address uniquely identifies all devices on the internet, like a printer; without it, there’s no way to contact them.
The benefit of configuring an HP printer IP address is that an IP address makes it easier to work remotely. You’ll need to follow the steps below:
- Click on Start
- Select Control Panel
- Click Printer
- Now choose Faxes to configure the IP address.
- Go to the printer driver and right click it and choose properties.
Now, follow the steps below:
- Click on Ports
- Select Add Port
- Choose Standard TCP/IP Port
- Hit New Port
- Click Next
The TCP/IP printer port wizard provides the HP printer’s IP address.
Related: How to Change Ink in HP Printer?
Where Is the IP Address on a Printer? FAQs
Is the Printer’s IP address on the Printer?
You’ll find a printer’s IP address on the printer. All you need to do is go to the printer’s settings to print the network configuration page. To do so:
- Go to the control panel settings
- Click wireless settings
How Do I Connect My IP to My Printer?
Here’s how to add a printer using its IP address:
- Click Start and choose Settings
- Go to the Devices option
- Click Printers and Scanners
- Select Add a Printer or Scanner
How Do I Add a Printer By IP Address Android?
When using services such as the Samsung printer service, go to:
- Click on Add Printer
- Include the printer’s name
- Enter the IP address
- Click OK
You’re now able to print using the printer.
Where Are Printer Settings on an Android Phone?
Use this setting to change how your Android phone connects to printers. You should do the following:
- Go to phone settings
- Tap Connected Devices, then go to Connection Preferences
- Click on the setting you wish to change
Related: How to Change Ink in Canon Printer
Sometimes, fixing your printer issues requires more than removing a stuck paper. In certain instances, you must know the printer’s IP address. Good thing you can now easily find the IP address thanks to the different methods I’ve elaborated on above.
You can get your printer IP address using the command prompt, printer properties, using CUPS webpage, or Network Configuration Page.
Your printer’s IP will help you connect new devices to the printer. Remember that before connecting any device with the printer, it must be connected to the network. It allows the printer to make a connection through the router.