Using your iPhone to print documents is quick and easy, and you don’t need to install drivers. Once you add a printer to your iPhone, you can print documents and images anytime. You can even print the documents from the cloud without necessarily downloading them.
- AirPrint technology facilitates wireless printing for Apple products
- You must ensure the printer and iPhone are connected to the same wireless network
- You can add multiple printers to a single iPhone
Once you ensure that the printer and iPhone are all connected to the same wireless network, the process of connecting the two is generally easy. This article outlines the process, various ways of connecting, and the issues that may arise.
Checking Printer Compatibility
Apple designed the AirPrint technology to facilitate wireless printing for Apple devices without the need to install drivers. The technology makes printing quick and easy because all Apple devices, including iPhone, Mac, iPod, and iPad, can find and connect to nearby wireless printers.
Your printer must be compatible with AirPrint for this feature to work. You can click here to find Apple’s list of compatible printers.
How to Check if a Printer Is Compatible With an iPhone
Almost every new model printer is compatible with an iPhone. However, to be sure, you can check whether a printer is compatible with your iPhone on the Apple website.
Tip: Once you are on the website, type the following commands: CTRL+F. Then you can key in the printer model name.
Remember that AirPrint enables you to print documents on your iPhone without downloading drivers. So, go ahead and print on your wireless printer.
Related: What Is VPN on iPhone And How it Works
Connecting to the Printer
You’re probably asking, how do I add a wireless printer to my iPhone? There are several methods to connect your iPhone to the printer, including:
- Wi-Fi Direct
Let’s discuss these in detail below.
- Wi-Fi Direct
Your iPhone and printer must be connected to the same Wi-Fi network. Follow these steps to print over Wi-Fi.
- Step 1: Open the document or picture you want to print. It can be in your email, Files app, Photos app, or anywhere else.
- Step 2: Locate the share button and tap it. It is the square with an upward arrow. Depending on the app you are using, the share button can be at the top right-hand corner or at the bottom of the screen.
- Step 3: Scroll through the pop-up results until you see the word “Print” with a printer icon next to it. Tap it.
- Step 4: You’ll see the word “Printer” at the top of the page. Click on it and select your preferred printer.
- Step 5: Tap the word “Print” on the top right corner of your screen.
The printer you selected will be added to the list of printers, and you’ll see it whenever you want to print while in range. You can follow the same procedure to add another printer.
Follow these steps to print on your iPhone via Bluetooth.
- Step 1: Ensure your printer is discoverable. Many printers will allow you to do this by pressing an external button. Don’t do anything if you already printed from your laptop via Bluetooth.
- Step 2: Turn on the Bluetooth on your iPhone. Go to Settings>Bluetooth, then toggle the button to turn green to indicate Bluetooth is on. Some phones will show a “B” symbol next to the battery icon.
- Step 3: Click on your printer’s name on the list of Bluetooth devices shown on your iPhone. The list indicates previously connected devices and all discoverable devices within range. The printer will connect after clicking on it.
- Step 4: Open the document you want to print.
- Step 5: Click the share button (looks like an arrow popping out of the top of a box). Scroll through and find the “Print” option.
- Step 6: Select your printing options (whether you will print the whole document or several pages, or copies). Click on “Select Printer,” and your printer will appear. Click on it, then click “Print” at the top right-hand corner of your screen.
Just like Bluetooth, you can print documents on your iPhone via near-field communication (NFC). Depending on your model of iPhone, you’ll use the NFC function differently.
From iPhone 7 to iPhone 10, you’ll use the NFC Tag Reader. Access the NFC button in the control center and tap it. Hold your phone near the NFC tag on the printer to trigger an action.
For the models iPhone XS (Max), iPhone XR, iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro (Max), and iPhone SE (2nd gen.), the Background Tag Reading feature enables your iPhone to read NFC tags without having to start the NFC Tag Reader. The screen must be switched on.
Your iPhone will look for NFC signals in the background.
Related: How to Make Generic Ink Cartridges Work on an HP Printer?
Installing Printer Software
The AirPrint feature is necessary for wireless printing on your iPhone. Although rare, your iPhone may not support AirPrint. You will have to use dedicated printer software to print your items.
Popular printer manufacturers, including Canon, HP, and Epson, have apps to work with their printers.
You can download the printer app from the App Store and pair it with your printer. The printer and the device containing the documents or images for printing must be on the same network.
Popular printer apps include:
- Epson iPrint
- HP Smart
- Canon Print Inkjet
You can also use other third-party printers like Print n Share and Prime Print.
Steps for Installing Printer Software on an iPhone
Follow these steps to install the printer software and use it to print on iPhone.
- Step 1: Go to the App Store and search for your printer app, depending on your printer’s brand. The App Store has apps for various brands.
- Step 2: Install the printer app. It will take a few seconds, then open it.
- Step 3: At the top of the screen, you’ll see “Printer” is not selected.” Tap it, and you’ll see the name of your printer on the screen. Select it, and it will be connected to your iPhone.
- Step 4: Open the document you want to print, click share, then select your printer.
- Step 5: You’ll see the word “Print” at the top right corner of your screen. Tap it and wait for your documents from the printer.
Related: Best Photo Printer for iPhone – 5 Model To Consider in 2023
Printing From an iPhone
You can print your files from the email, Photos app, and Files app. To print from any of the sources, you must first ensure that your iPhone and printer are connected.
- Step 1: Open the document you want to print. It can be a file in your email, a picture in your Photos app, or a PDF document from your Files app.
- Step 2: Locate the share button and tap it.
- Step 3: Scroll through the pop-up results and find one written “Print” with a printer icon beside it. A list of available printers will pop up.
- Step 4: Select your printer and click on “Print” at the top right corner of your screen.
Related: 5 Awesome 3D Printer Business Ideas and Why You Should Do It
Troubleshooting Common Printing Issues
Sometimes you’ll experience issues when attempting to print with your iPhone. Common issues include:
- Printer not found
- Connectivity issues
- Print quality problems
Here’s how to troubleshoot these common printing issues.
- Printer Not Found
The “No AirPrint Printers Found” is a common issue that HP and other printer manufacturers have written detailed articles about. You can try the following steps to resolve this:
- Check to ensure your printer and iPhone are connected to the same wireless network
- Switch your devices off, wait 10 seconds then switch them on again
- Check to ensure both devices have the latest software installed
- Connectivity Issues
For connectivity issues, you may try solving them by doing any of the following:
- Check if your iPhone is in Airplane mode.
- Ensure the wireless connection on the printer is switched on.
- Restart your Wi-Fi router.
- Ensure the router and printer are in close proximity.
- Print Quality Problems
Problems with print quality usually arise from the printer. Here are a few fixes you can try:
- Use the right quality paper. Many printer manuals indicate the paper quality to use.
- Ensure the cartridges are well-aligned
- If the pages appear faded, decrease primer speed. If the ink seems to bleed on the paper, increase speed. These settings are available in the Advanced Properties menu.
- Print high-resolution images and files.
Related: Why Does My Printer Say Offline? Detailed Solutions
How to Add & Connect a Printer to iPhone? FAQs
- Why Can’t I Connect My Printer to My iPhone?
If you’re wondering why you can’t connect your printer to your iPhone, it’s good to know it happens for various reasons. One common reason is connectivity problems.
You need to check whether your printer supports AirPrint technology. Then check if the printer and iPhone are connected to the same wireless network. Try switching off your router and printer for a few seconds, then turn them on.
- How to Print From iPhone Without Airprint
To print from iPhone without AirPrint, you must install the printer app. The App Store has many printer apps to choose from, depending on your printer brand. Once you download the app, install it and connect it to the printer.
Apple’s AirPrint technology has made wireless printing quick and easy. You only need to connect your iPhone and printer to the same wireless network, then add the printer to your iPhone in a few easy steps. The good thing is that you can connect one iPhone to several printers and vice versa.