Canon printers are known for their high-quality printing and reliability. Like any printer, they require regular maintenance to function at their best. One crucial aspect of printer maintenance is changing the ink cartridges when they run out. You can follow these simple steps on how to change ink in Canon printer:
- Make sure the printer is turned on.
- Open the front cover. The cartridges will move to the middle of the printer.
- Push down the cartridge you want to change.
- Remove the old cartridge.
- Insert a new cartridge.
- Push the cartridge up until it clicks into place.
- Close the front cover.
Changing ink cartridges is a straightforward process you can easily do at home. While the process may differ depending on the model of your Canon printer, this article will take you through a step-by-step guide on how to change the ink in your Canon printer.
Table Of Contents
- 1 Type of Ink
- 2 Preparation
- 3 Changing the Ink Cartridge
- 4 Test Your Printer
- 5 How to Change Ink in Canon Printer: FAQs
- 6 Conclusion
Type of Ink
Using the correct type of ink for your Canon printer is essential for optimal performance.
Refer to your printer’s user manual to locate the ink cartridge. The manual will provide detailed instructions on the correct ink and changing the cartridge correctly.
Canon printers use different types of ink cartridges. The type of ink cartridge used depends on the model of the Canon printer and the intended use. The most common types of ink cartridges include:
Black and Tricolor Ink
Black ink cartridges are used for printing text documents. They are also used for printing grayscale images.
Tricolor ink cartridges are made up of three different colors:
They are used for printing color documents and images.
Black & tricolor cartridges should be replaced when any one of the colors runs out.
Individual cartridges allow you to replace only the color that has run out, rather than replacing the entire cartridge when one color runs out. They are available in both dye-based and pigment-based ink. They reduce waste and are cost-effective in the long run.
Not all Canon printers use the same type of ink cartridges. Some models use specialized cartridges for specific purposes, such as printing high-quality photographs.
It’s always important to refer to your printer’s manual or contact customer support for information on the correct ink cartridges to use for your specific printer model.
It is essential to take a few steps to prepare and ensure the process goes smoothly. Here are the steps you should take before replacing the ink cartridge:
- Check the ink level: Determine which cartridges need to be replaced with less ink. Most Canon printers have an ink level indicator, which you can access from the printer’s control panel or through the printer software on your computer.
- Ensure your printer is turned on: When the printer is on, cartridges move to the middle of the printer. It allows easy access to the cartridges.
- Wait for the cartridges to stop moving: A flashing light or message on the printer’s control panel displays when the cartridges are moving.
- Gather your tools: You will need a few essential tools to replace the ink cartridge in your printer. These include the new ink cartridge, a clean cloth or tissue, and a pair of gloves (optional).
- Remove any packaging: Remove any packaging or protective tape on the new cartridge. It will prevent clogging and ensure free flow from the cartridge.
You can quickly and easily replace the ink cartridge with the right tools and preparation.
Changing the Ink Cartridge
You can change your Canon printer’s ink cartridge by following these simple steps:
Step 1: Turn on your Canon printer. You will then open the cover of the printer to access the ink cartridges.
Step 2: Wait for the ink cartridges to stop moving. Identify the cartridge that needs to be replaced and press down on it.
Step 3: Remove the old ink cartridge from its slot.
Step 4: Insert the new ink cartridge. Ensure that it is properly slotted.
Step 5: Press down on the new cartridge until it clicks into place.
Step 6: Close the cover. Give the printer some time to initialize the new cartridges.
Test Your Printer
Here is how you test your printer after replacing ink cartridges:
Check Ink Levels
Image by Canon
First, ensure the new cartridge has been appropriately slotted by checking the ink levels. To check the Canon’s ink levels:
- Turn on your printer.
- Open the printer control panel on your computer or mobile device.
- Look for an option labeled “Ink Levels,” or something similar. The location of this option may vary depending on the type of printer.
- Click on the option to view the ink levels of your printer cartridges.
- You may see a visual representation of the ink levels.
If the ink level is low or empty, it’s time to replace the cartridge. Some printers may also display a warning message when the ink level is low.
Print a Test Page
Image by Cmyktool
Printing a test page will help you to know if the ink cartridge is appropriately slotted. Most Canon printers have an inbuilt test page function to print test pages. The test page includes a series of color blocks and patterns where you will inspect if the texts are aligned. Print the test page and check if the readers are aligned perfectly.
Check for Smudges
Image by Colorprintingforum
Smudges are marks that appear on a printed page caused by ink or toner that is not applied correctly to the paper. Smudging can occur due to a variety of reasons, such as:
- A clogged print head
- Low or empty ink cartridges
- Using paper that is too thick or too thin for the printer
- When the paper is handled too soon after printing
- Using the wrong type of paper
Smudges make text or images challenging to read and can decrease the quality of a printed page. To avoid smudging, use the correct types of equipment for your printer.
Check Print Alignment
Print alignment ensures that the text and images on your printed page are sharp, clear, and correctly positioned. Misaligned printouts can be challenging to read. They reduce the quality of your document or image. The alignment process involves printing a test page and checking for any visible misalignment or text that appears blurry or out of focus. If the alignment is off, you can repeat the calibration process until the printout is adequately aligned.
Print a Document or Photo
Printing a photo or document can further test the new ink functionality. If a photo prints correctly, you can ensure the new cartridges have been fitted well.
If you encounter any issues after testing the new cartridge, consult your printer’s manual.
Related: How to Change Ink in HP Printer?
How to Change Ink in Canon Printer: FAQs
How to Change Ink in Canon Printer MG3620:
If you own a Canon printer MG3620, you can change your ink cartridge using these steps:
- Make sure that the printer is turned on.
- Open the front cover of the printer.
- Wait for the ink cartridge holder to move to the replacement position
- Press down on the empty cartridge and remove it from the printer.
- Unpack the new ink cartridge and remove the protective tape.
- Insert the new cartridge into the correct slot.
- Push the cartridge until it clicks into place.
- Close the front cover of the printer.
How Do I Change the Ink in My Printer?
Changing ink in your printer is an easy process. You can change your ink cartridges in these steps:
- Refer to your printer’s manual for changing the ink cartridges for your particular model.
- Ensure that your printer is turned on.
- Open the ink cartridge compartment by following the instructions provided by the manufacturer.
- Remove the old ink cartridges and dispose of them properly.
- Unpack the new ink cartridges and remove any protective tape.
- Please insert the new ink cartridges into their appropriate slots.
- Press down until you hear a clicking sound.
Where Is the Ink Compartment on a Canon Printer?
The ink compartment is located on the front of the printer. It is underneath the lid that covers the scanner bed.
Location may vary depending on the specific model of the Canon printer.
How to Change Ink in Canon Printer TR8520
To change ink in Canon printer TR8520, follow the instructions below:
- Open the scanner unit and wait for the cartridges to center
- Check the cartridge you’d like to replace and push it in the tab and gently pull it up
- Now slide back the new cartridge to the same slot you removed the old one
- Push it down gently until you hear it click
- Finally, close the front cover
Changing ink in a Canon printer is essential for maintenance. Constant maintenance practices ensure your printer stays healthy for a long time and it produces quality prints. It is crucial to properly change ink cartridges and use the correct ink in your Canon printer. By following the guidelines in this article, you can appropriately adjust the ink on your Canon printer.
Did you learn something interesting in this guide? Don’t forget to leave your comment or ask a question. We’ll be sure to respond.