Apple TV has grown in popularity since its launch in 2019. Since it has been around for a short time, its users still have questions, including how to share Apple TV with family. Is there a way they can enjoy the latest releases on Apple TV without requiring your permission or passwords?
You can use your Apple account if you want to share your Apple TV with your family.
- Open your device and head to the “Settings,” and then select your “Icon”
- You’ll see the option for “Family Sharing – Learn More” on your Apple account info. You can select the “Set Up Your Family” option to continue
- With Family Sharing enabled, you can start adding your family members to your subscription
- If the people already have an Apple Account, you can select “Invite People.” For those under 13 years old who can’t create an Apple TV without permission, select “Create an Account for a Child”
- You can use the “Add Member” button to add more members. Your account will be titled “Organizer” when you start family sharing
Can You Watch Apple TV on Firestick? Yes And This is How
Chromecast vs. Apple TV – What’s the Difference?
Table Of Contents
Apple TV+ is Apple’s streaming service that offers an array of movies and TV shows. The selection of videos may be limited on Apple TV+ compared to other streaming services because it focuses on original content.
You may not get Apple’s original movies and TV shows on other services, even with premium subscriptions.
However, Apple TV+ still offers a wide range of content that keeps your family entertained. Members of your family need to have an Apple TV+ supported device. Otherwise, they can’t enjoy the content even with access to your subscription.
It’s not possible to share your Apple TV+ subscription with your family members on its own. You need to first add it as a service to the Family Sharing feature before making it available to others.
If you already set up a Family Sharing account and made it available to other members, you only need to add Apple TV+ as one of the available subscriptions.
Additionally, you cannot use an Apple TV device or streaming player to set up Family Sharing. You must first enable the feature on your iPad, iPhone, or Mac. Ensure you use a device where you have your account set up.
The process of enabling the feature is similar for an iPhone and an iPad but may be different for Mac.
Irrespective of the device you use to set up the feature, use the on-screen instructions to add family members. You’ll use the member’s Apple ID to send an invite.
The process also involves determining the services to share with your family members. You can decide only to offer Apple TV+, or add other services such as Fitness+, Apple Music, and Arcade.
When you finish setting up Family Sharing, family members who accept to join the family group will have access to your Apple TV subscription.
If you use an iOS device such as an iPhone or iPad, you can still share your subscription with your family through a simple process.
Here is how you can share Apple TV with your family on an iPhone:
- Open your device and go to the Apple App Store to download the Apple TV app for free
- When the download and installation process is over, open the app and subscribe to Apple TV+; if you haven’t done it
- Next, go to “Settings” and click on your name/icon
Select “Family Sharing”
5. Tap “Member” and send an invite to the family members you wish to share your Apple TV subscription with
With proper set-up, you’ll see Apple TV+ in the Shared with your family section of the device’s menu.
Subscription sharing is ideal as it enables you and your family to enjoy great content without paying hefty bills. Apple TV offers excellent content, and you can also take advantage of the free trial to sample the content. And since the best things in life are worth sharing, why not enjoy the content with others by sharing your subscription?
If you want to remove anyone from the subscription for whatever reason, you still have the power to do so.
There’s no minimum age requirement to join a family-sharing group. However, children under 13 years old need to have an adult set up an Apple ID on their behalf.
Additionally, if you’re inviting kids to the sharing group, it’ll be best to turn on the “Ask to Buy” feature. This helps you control the type of content the kids can download. It’ll require them to get permission before downloading videos or apps.
When the kid tries to download an app, you’ll receive a push notification asking for approval. The feature applies to both paid and free downloads.
You can enjoy Apple TV content on your Android device. For instance, you can use the Apple Music app using the following steps:
- Go to Google Play Store on your Android device and download the Apple Music app
- Go to your email inbox and open the invitation to join a family sharing group
- Tap on the link
- You’ll receive an “Open with” prompt on your screen. Select Apple Music
- Tap “Accept”
- Use your Apple ID and password to sign in
You can also follow these steps to start and manage your family group:
- Open the Apple Music app on your Android device
- Tap “Listen Now” and then the “More” button
- Select “Account” and then “Upgrade to Family”
- Select the “Family” plan and then tap “Apple Music”
- Follow the on-screen instructions and use your Apple ID and password to sign in and also confirm your billing information
Apple TV+ Family Sharing Cost
Apple TV+ is one of the most affordable streaming services.
With only $4.99 per month, you can enjoy incredible original content from Apple TV+. You can also share your subscription with other members of your family.
The Apple TV+ subscription also comes with a 7-day free trial. You can take advantage of the grace period to sample a wide variety of content.
With a subscription to Apple One or Apple Music, you can share Apple Music with up to five family members using the Family Sharing feature.
You can also download iTunes Store purchases from other family members onto your computer or iOS device.
To share Apple Music with your family members:
- Download the app on your phone
- Go to “Settings”
3. Tap on your name or icon
4. Go to “Family Sharing”
5. Select “Member”
6. Send an invite to members you wish to share your subscription with
Apple TV Family Sharing Not Working
The settings could be an issue if your family sharing feature isn’t working. You may also be using different Apple IDs for family sharing and purchases.
If your settings are correct and you have turned on the purchase setting, have the other family members check their settings.
Apple TV (Multiple Devices)
Using your ID, you can access Apple TV on any device signed in to the Apple TV app. Thus, you can stream content from your iPhone, iPad, or Mac.
Your family members can stream content from the same streaming service for up to three devices simultaneously. Some services can allow more than three devices.
It’s not possible to share Apple Music without the Family Sharing subscription.
If you want your family members to enjoy Apple Music on their devices, subscribe to Family Sharing and invite them to join the family group.
It’s cost-effective as each family member doesn’t have to pay for a subscription.