Meta Description: Why won’t my phone update to iOS 15? Several reasons your iOS 15 may fail to load or get interrupted. Read through to learn the ropes of successful iOS 15 updates.
It is vital to update your iPhone to the most recent version of iOS. You will only have access to great new features that help improve your iPhone efficiency.
- Check your phone is compatible with iOS 15. If you have anything older than an iPhone 6s, you will not be able to upgrade.
- If a later version has already been released (for example, iOS 16), your iPhone will automatically detect the latest version and skip iOS 15.
- Check you have enough storage space left to download the update.
For various reasons, your iPhone may not upgrade to iOS 15, or you may be stuck in the update preparation mode. There are efficient and reliable fixes to assist you in solving the issue quickly.
Read through to learn how to fix an iPhone that won’t update to iOS 15.
Possible Reasons and Fixes on Why My Phone Won’t Update to iOS 15
Table Of Contents
- 1 Possible Reasons and Fixes on Why My Phone Won’t Update to iOS 15
- 2 Why Won’t My Phone Update to iOS 16
- 3 Message: Unable to Install Update an Error Occurred Installing iOS 15
- 4 The New iPhone Won’t Update During Setup
- 5 How to Update an old iPad to iOS 15
- 6 How Do I Force My iPhone to Update to iOS 15?
- 7 What Happens If You Don’t Update Your iPhone to iOS 15?
- 8 Why Won’t My Phone Update to iOS 15 FAQs
Below are some reasons why your phone won’t update to iOS 15.
Check If Your iPhone is Compatible With iOS 15
The most recent iOS updates might not work with some older iPhone models. For instance, iOS 15 only works with iPhone 6 or newer devices.
Try the steps below to check if you have a compatible device.
- Identify the iPhone model.
- Ensure that the iPhone model is included in the list of supported devices for the iOS 15 release.
- Update to the iOS 15 version if available.
Note: Only use a compatible device to download updated versions of iOS; otherwise, your iPhone may lag, and its apps might stop working.
Check If Your iPhone Automatically Detects the Most Recent iOS Version
Your iPhone will automatically detect the most recent version and skip iOS 15 if a later version has already been made available (for instance, iOS 16).
Ensure There is Enough Space
The iOS 15 will only download if your device has enough free space. Therefore, ensure enough space on your device for the updated files.
Note: To determine the amount of space available:
Go to Settings > select General > select iPhone Storage. You will see how much storage is available at the top of the screen.
Ensure Your Update is Complete
You must charge your iPhone battery by at least 50% to download an update correctly. Ensure your device is plugged into a power source while downloading over the air. Connect your device to a power source and turn it on to restart the update or restore process if your iPhone runs out of power.
Why Won’t My Phone Update to iOS 16
Your iPhone may not update to iOS 16 for several reasons:
- Your device needs more free storage.
- The most recent version is incompatible with your device.
- Your device is unable to connect to the update server.
- You have a stable internet connection.
Why is My Phone Taking So Long to Update iOS 15?
The progress bar may be taking a long time to install the update due to some of the following reasons:
- Slow internet connection
- The number of files and the size of the update
Ensure You Have a Stable Internet Connection
If your iPhone is downloading slowly or isn’t upgrading, consider checking your internet connection. The time to download the update depends on factors, including the file size and your internet connection speed. Therefore, the faster the internet updates certain significant upgrades, the better.
Note: If your Wi-Fi is off, go to Settings > WLAN and turn it on; if it is on, turn it off, wait a time, and then turn it back on.
The number of files and the size of the update
The number of files and the size of the update on your device affect how long it takes to download. The process can take minutes to an hour if your device has many files.
Message: Unable to Install Update an Error Occurred Installing iOS 15
Your device will show an error message with a number or a note if your update cannot be downloaded successfully. Apple Support explains the meaning of errors and outlines ways to fix them.
Ensure that You Can Connect to the Apple Servers
It may be an issue with the Apple servers if you see a warning that says, “Unable to Check for Update” or “Unable to Verify Update.” Hence, it is crucial to verify that their servers are running normally.
The New iPhone Won’t Update During Setup
Your new iPhone may not update during setup for some of the following reasons:
- Unstable internet connection
- Interrupted or unstable USB cable connection
- Downloading other files at the same time
- Unknown system issues
How to Update an old iPad to iOS 15
You can automatically update your iPad overnight while it’s charging. The process is explained below:
- Click Settings
- Select General
- Click on Software Update.
- Select Automatic Updates
- Activate Download iOS Updates.
- Activate Install iOS Updates. The iOS 15 upgrade for your iPad will happen automatically.
How Do I Force My iPhone to Update to iOS 15?
The IOS 15 version still won’t install for you? The solution to such issues can Practically be summed up into three words. These include:
How to Force Restart, Delete the Update, and Download it Again
You can try forcing a restart if your iPhone is stuck in update mode. After the device restarts, it should not get stuck anymore. You can resolve many issues by doing a force restart.
Note: Each iPhone model’s force restart procedure is different.
Consider uninstalling the update and downloading it once more:
- Go to Settings > General > iPhone Storage.
- In the list of apps, locate the update.
- Select the update, and click Delete Update.
- Download the iOS 15 updates by going to:
- Click General
- Select Software Update.
How to Update Your Device Using Your Computer
Update your iPhone using your Mac or PC if you can’t find the update in the list of apps or if the issue continues. Using a Lightning cable, connect the device to your computer and follow these guidelines:
On a PC or a Mac with macOS Mojave or an earlier version:
- Start iTunes.
- In the iTunes toolbar, tap the device button.
- Click Check for Update under the Summary tab.
- Tap download and update.
- Follow the directions displayed on the screen. (Your passcode might be required.)
Using a Mac with macOS Catalina or later:
- Launch Finder.
- In the Finder window’s left sidebar, choose your device.
- After selecting General, tap Check for Update.
- Tap download and update,
- Follow the directions displayed on the screen. (Your passcode might be required.)
How to Fix iPhone Update Stuck without Data Loss
It is more likely to conclude that the operating system of your device is seriously damaged if the fixes mentioned above fail to fix it. To repair iOS, you will use ReiBoot, a third-party program with a stellar reputation. The process is explained below:
- Download and install ReiBoot on your computer
- Launch ReiBoot after connecting the device to the PC.
- Select “Repair Operating System” once ReiBoot has identified the iPhone.
- You must now obtain the firmware package needed for the procedure and click “Start Repair.”
- Click “Repair Now” to begin the recovery process
What Happens If You Don’t Update Your iPhone to iOS 15?
The initial consequence of not updating your iPhone will be facing bugs, but you will also not enjoy new iOS features. iOS 15 has improved privacy features, a unique notification experience, tools to reduce distractions, redesigned FaceTime calling features, and comprehensive redesigns for Safari, maps, and Weather, among other things.
In iOS 15, notifications have been revamped, including larger app icons and contact photos for people.
Why Won’t My Phone Update to iOS 15 FAQs
What Should I Do If The Progress Bar Freezes During Repair?
Please try the following solutions if the progress bar becomes stuck while fixing the issue:
- Please restart the device and try again
- Make sure that the Internet connection is working properly.
How Should I Proceed If I Cannot Download the Firmware?
If you are having trouble downloading the firmware, try the following:
- Look for a strong Internet connection.
- To redownload the firmware
How Long Can You Wait Before Updating Your Phone to the Newest Version of iOS?
You may update your phone to the nearest version whenever the update is available. Updating to the most recent version of iOS ensures that you have access to all of Apple’s newest enhancements, fixes, and security patches. Therefore, you shouldn’t wait long to update your phone.