Kirby Vacuum Cleaner Review - Are They Worth The Money?
Ever since 1914 when the Kirby Company was founded, they have been developing innovative and reliable vacuuming solutions that are perfect for residential and commercial purposes. A household name for many living in both the United States and across the world, they are often thought of as one of the market leaders in the industry. However, the supposedly high-quality performance comes with a large price tag that will make many customer’s eyes water. To demonstrate the power of their vacuums, a door-to-door salesperson is often sent out to show you their newest model available. Trying to convince you into purchasing and leaving your old vacuum behind, this tactic can either be seen in a positive or a negative light.
But are the vacuums worth the thousands of dollars that they cost? This article will take a short look at the features, accessories and more, to help you determine whether a Kirby vacuum is the right vacuum cleaner for your needs.
Why People Love Kirby Vacuums?
One of the main reasons as to why people love Kirby vacuum cleaners is their longevity. Well-built machines, they are expected to last up to 20 years (if they are kept in good condition) and can be bought with an annual maintenance cover – meaning that each year your vacuum will be fitted for new parts if any become faulty. They also come with a HEPA filter technology, which ensures that your home if free from harmful dust or contaminants – this feature is incredibly helpful for those suffering from allergies. It is undeniably a tough machine that can pick up fine dust with ease (it has a TechDrive Variable Power Assist Technology which helps it to get into tight corners). But with this durability, comes a hefty weighted machine.
What Are Some Of The Features That Kirby Vacuums Offer?
Depending on which model vacuum cleaner you choose, a Kirby can offer you the following:
- A carpet shampoo system
- It is a self -propelled machine that can be made hand-held portable
- HEPA Micron Allergen Filtration
- Air pump
- Portable carpet shampoo function
- Upright suction
- A Turbo-Powered pet hair vacuum
- A hardwood vacuum
And many more...
Most of the parts are also manufactured with aluminum, adding to their durability.
Another reason as to why many people love their Kirby, is that, if you already have two separate vacuum and a carpet shampoo devices, you can combine the two with a Kirby vacuum cleaner. This will not only save you money in the long run as many people replace their vacuum and carpet shampoo device every few years, but it will also make the process a whole lot easier.
If you want to invest in additional fans, belts and bags for your Kirby, you can also buy them from a variety of stores – from Amazon to Bed Bath & Beyond.
One downfall of the removable tools that come with the Kirby vacuum, is that although they carry many purposes, it can take a while to get used to. This is meant in the sense that many believe that the process to attach these tools is time-consuming.
The Vacuums Are Constantly Evolving
The Kirby Company is constantly undertaking enhancements to each of their products – therefore, you know that you always have a chance of buying the most up-to-date model that is available. One of their main creations that have caused traction in the last few years is their dirt and water separation technique. This innovation is just one of the reasons as to why Kirby has been one of the market leaders since its conception in the early 20th Century.
It Doesn’t Have To Cost You The World
As mentioned above, a new Kirby vacuum can cost you anywhere from $900 up to $2500. But if you don’t want to spend that much, you can always buy it second hand online. Although it might seem a little risky at first, used machines are also a great investment. If it does become faulty, the price that you pay to fix it will be a lot less than it would be to buy a whole new machine. You can also have your Kirby vacuum cleaner repaired at your local vacuum repair stores as the company ensures that real spare parts for all of their vacuum models are available.
It’s An All-in-one
Kirby is known for the multiple features that each of the vacuums has. But one that stands out above the rest is its ability to be a handheld, canister, an upright vacuum cleaner and a carpet shampooer – all in one. As mentioned above, this saves you on the money that you would have spent on a separate vacuum and carpet shampooer.
This also allows you to use the vacuum cleaner to buff your floors and use the vacuum to clean your mattress/couch. The Turbo-Powered pet hair vacuum can pick up any pet hair that exists within your home, pollens, debris and more from both fragile surfaces and your hardwood floors. If you do want to power buff your floors, the clever and powerful Turbo Accessory System can also be utilized. These benefits allow you to clean your property easily and efficiently in no time at all – giving it a professional standard of cleaning that other vacuums cannot achieve.
However, one thing to consider about this all-in-one functionality is that it isn’t the only one available on the market. Brands such as Vax have wet and dry vacuums which allow for carpet cleaning. Therefore, it is important to do some research before investing in your Kirby vacuum cleaner to give you an idea of what is available and how the vacuums fare in comparison. A vacuum cleaner is a big investment and something that you should think about before diving into the deep end. A good way of getting a better idea of how it performs is reading a range of reviews online, watching a demo video of someone using the vacuum within their home and reading up on what the vacuum includes.
What Kirby Vacuum Cleaner Models Are Available?
Ever since the Vacuette was developed in 1920, the Kirby vacuum cleaners have been evolving. In competition with other brands such as Hoover (which was founded around the same time), throughout the years they have introduced new models with different features that make them stand out from their competitors.
So what are some of the types of Kirby vacuum cleaners that are available on the market today?
- firstly, the Kirby G3. This model has the feature of a self-propelling drive system (aptly known as Techdrive) and is considered one of the heaviest models in the Kirby catalogue. Its style makes it one of the most retro-looking vacuum cleaners out there which can either appeal to those who want a simpler model or have the negative effect as it is quite an old model.
- second on the list is the Kirby G4. The next model created after the G3, the Techdrive system was improved allowing for a smoother glide on surfaces when cleaning. It also added a new and innovative filtration system, coined the Magic Micron Filtration which was the predecessor to the HEPA filtration system that they created a few years later.
- one of the issues that was faced with the above two models is that if a hard material or metal object was sucked up, it would cause significant damage to the plastic fan blades – meaning you either had to purchase a new fan blade or wait for a Kirby employee to fix it for you. Kirby realized this fault and ensured that with the Kirby G5 model, they included a kevlar fan that prevented this. Attachments were also improved as was the overall look of the vacuum cleaner.
- as this was the first model to feature the HEPA micron filtration system, Kirby was yet to realize the amount of power the system used. To improve this, they added a mini-emptor which allowed for air flow to exit and enter the vacuum more freely.
Kirby Ultimate G
- not only was the brush roll significantly improved in this model from the last, but many power improvements were made that made the model far more versatile.
Kirby Ultimate Diamond
- undeniably one of the most renowned Kirby models that are sold globally, it features a 2-speed motor. This motor has the benefit of allowing for a variety of uses – from tough carpets and hard surfaces to delicate surfaces.
- one benefit which makes this model a little better than the above, is the fact that it is lighter. More modern in appearance, but still durable, it had a new bumper and is 1.2 pounds lighter than the previous model.
Kirby Sentria II
- what differs this model to the original model is that it features a more durable brush roll and is available in a wider range of colors – which makes it more appealing to those of all tastes.
- the second most recent iteration, the Kirby Avalir features an impressive 12 cleaning functions and an all-in-one function, making it a carpet cleaner and vacuum.
Kirby Avalir 2
- this is the newest model that Kirby has created. Advertised all over their website, it has dry foam tech allowing for a thorough carpet and floor wash, a mop and scrub feature, a shampoo feature, a HEPA filtration system and more. Undoubtedly the most expensive model as it is the newest, it is a very powerful machine that can easily pick up fine dust as well as other materials.
Do Kirby Vacuum Have Any Negatives?
It is heavy
Mentioned a little earlier in this article is the great expense of the vacuum. Over the years with the good reputation that Kirby has acquired, the price has risen. This is also because of how the vacuums are built – with sturdy material (which is mostly metal). However, this sturdy material also means that the vacuums are heavy making them not suitable for those of the older generation or those suffering from conditions such as arthritis. When you are cleaning your home, you want to be able to carry the vacuum around your home with ease. The fact that the Kirby vacuum cleaner is a little on the heavy side will mean that it will take a little longer for you to get used to. If you purchase a vacuum after having it promoted to you by a salesperson, be sure to have a go with the vacuum yourself. If it is too heavy for you, maybe it isn’t the right model for you.
They Are Costly
Following on from the above point, it is clear that many people might not have a large budget to spend on their vacuum. This extortionate price means that not many can afford to pay it outright. If you are still interested in buying one but can’t pay for it all at once, there is an option to pay it over a certain amount of time in smaller installments. One thing to consider with this method of payment however, is that often, you are paying out more than the vacuum is worth in the long term.
The Vacuum Bags
One thing to consider about a Kirby vacuum cleaner is that it takes vacuum bags. Many newer models by other vacuum companies have a filter and container that stores the dirt, which you then throw into the trash. Having a vacuum bag means that you have to purchase extra bags and detach/reattach them. However, these only need to be replaced every six months (depending on the amount of dirt you are clearing). This older feature might not appeal to many who want lighter, more modern looking vacuum cleaners.
It Can Be Confusing To Use
As the Kirby has so many different tools and features, it takes a while to get used to. Although it comes with a DVD and instructions, it might take some time to get used to changing the bag or the hose. This can make it very confusing to muster by many – who generally want a machine which is easy to use so that they can start using their vacuum cleaner right away.
Although the warranty and rebuild plan is an undeniable bonus that comes with Kirby vacuum cleaners, one thing to consider is that models that are purchased from a separate retail store or from companies such as Amazon are not covered by them. This puts the pressure on buying them directly from Kirby, rather than trying to get a deal online.
What Do You Think About When Someone Mentions A Kirby Vacuum Cleaner?
Many people associate the brand with the door-to-door salespeople and its rich history in the industry. There are plenty of sales-driven articles and reviews out there that will tell you about the benefits that Kirby vacuum cleaners have. But many fail to mention the negatives. Yes, all vacuums from a variety of brands have advantages and disadvantages, which makes it easier to determine which vacuum is right for you.
When the salesperson demonstrated these benefits within consumers homes, the love for the vacuums was born. The power of the brand was built on the cleaning power that they provided – not a hype. Which is why so many people across the globe favor their Kirby vacuum cleaner over other brands.
The personalised feature of a salesperson coming to your home to demonstrate the vacuum cleaner adds a unique selling point to the brand that others don’t offer. This technique is either liked by homeowners who need a new vacuum and are aware of the brand, or hated as it can be seen as a pushy sales tactic. If you don’t want a new vacuum, you might feel as though you are being pressured into buying one – which at the prices the Kirby vacuum cleaners are, can make for an extremely negative buying experience.
It is undeniable that Kirby vacuum cleaners will be around for many years to come. The durability and versatility that they come with means that you can rely on your machine for more than a few years. Plus its annual maintenance plan (which although does cost you annually) means that you can have parts of the vacuum replaced if need be, giving your vacuum a refurbished feel. Kirby vacuum cleaners can be passed through your family due to this durability, plus it is easy to pick up parts for it, no matter what the age.
Overall, it is your decision as to whether or not you purchase a Kirby vacuum cleaner. It is a good idea to take a look at the pros and cons for each of the models and if you want to purchase one, see if it is possible to request a demonstration. This will give you an idea of how heavy it is and if it is really worth the money.
Last Updated On