The JBL Charge 4 and Charge 5 are both portable Bluetooth speakers with similar designs, but there are some differences between the two models.
Table Of Contents
- 1 JBL Charge 4 Speaker
- 2 JBL Charge 5 Speaker
- 3 JBL Charge 4 Vs Charge 5 Specs Comparison
- 4 JBL Charge 4 Vs Charge 5 Sound Quality
- 5 JBL Charge 4 Vs Charge 5 Watts
- 6 JBL Charge 4 Vs Charge 5 Size
- 7 JBL Charge 5 Vs Flip 5
- 8 Differences Between JBL Charge 5 and Flip 5
- 9 What’s Better, JBL Charge 4 or Bose?
- 10 Does Bose own JBL?
- 11 Conclusion
JBL Charge 4 Vs Charge 5 Key Differentiators:
- Sound quality: The Charge 5 features an upgraded driver and tweeter design, which provides a slightly fuller and more balanced sound than the Charge 4. However, the difference in sound quality is not significant enough to warrant an upgrade if you are already satisfied with the Charge 4’s sound.
- Battery life: The Charge 5 has a slightly longer battery life than the Charge 4, with up to 20 hours of playtime compared to the Charge 4’s 15 hours. If you frequently use your speaker for long periods of time without access to a power source, the extra battery life may be worth upgrading for.
- Waterproofing: Both the Charge 4 and Charge 5 are IPX7 waterproof, meaning they can be fully submerged in water without damage. However, the Charge 5 also features an IP67 dustproof rating, which may be important if you plan to use the speaker in dusty or sandy environments.
- Design and colors: The Charge 5 features a slightly updated design with a new fabric grille and redesigned control buttons. It also comes in some new colors, including camouflage and squad, which may be appealing if you’re looking for a unique look.
- Price: The Charge 5 is generally more expensive than the Charge 4, with a higher retail price. If you’re on a budget, the Charge 4 may be a better option as it still provides excellent sound quality and features.
Overall, whether or not to upgrade from Charge 4 to the Charge 5 depends on your specific needs and preferences. If you prioritize longer battery life and dust proofing, or if you’re simply looking for a new design or color, the Charge 5 may be worth the upgrade. However, if you’re satisfied with the Charge 4’s sound quality and waterproofing, there may not be a significant enough difference to justify the cost of upgrading.
Read on as we dive into a more detailed comparison!
JBL Charge 4 speaker is a Bluetooth speaker with dual passive bass radiators that resonate deeply, clearly, and smoothly. It has a 7500 mAH built-in rechargeable battery that lasts 20 hours of playing music.
The built-in power bank and the USB charge on the speaker allow you to conveniently charge other devices like smartphones, especially on a trip or excursion. Furthermore, the JBL Charge 4 speaker can be connected to Bluetooth devices through USB. It can wirelessly connect more than 100 speakers linked with JBL connect+.
Related: Best Bluetooth Extenders In 2023
Its rugged exterior surface is waterproof and, therefore, remains indestructible from water. Its excellent assortment of design colors allows you to choose what blends with your aesthetic taste. Elevate your music experience when on a trip to the beach, swimming pool, or serene countryside.
- IPX7 waterproof exterior. Don’t worry about water spills during your beach or pool trip. Its internal parts are protected.
- The output power of 30 watts
- It uses Bluetooth 4.2 version
- Wirelessly linked to JBL connect+ to elevate your musical experience. More than 100 JBL speakers can be linked, enabling you to intensify the party.
- It has two passive bass radiators that deepen the sound quality and guarantee powerful audio, well-balanced, and clarity.
- The durable exterior surface protects the device from destruction by elements whenever out on an adventurous trip.
- Built-in power bank and USB charge to power up your devices such as tablets and smartphones.
- It contains a 7500 mAH rechargeable Lithium-ion battery that lasts 20 hours of continuous playtime.
- Powerful deep bass produced by its dual bass radiators.
- Waterproof. Therefore, suitable for pool and beach visits with no worries about getting submerged in water.
- 20 hours of battery life allows music enthusiasts to vibe for a long time.
- Its USB charge allows you to power up your device without worrying about electricity during your trip.
- Small in size and, thus, portable. It can be carried anywhere with ease.
- It has no speakerphone function
- The buttons cannot be lit up and are hard to see in the dark.
JBL Charge 5 speaker offers enhanced audio quality with its two JBL bass radiators, long-excursion driver, and separate tweeter. It has a convenient battery life of 20 hours, guaranteeing continuous playtime without needing intermittent charging. It can also keep your devices charged when connected to the USB charger.
The Charge 5 is not only waterproof but also dustproof. Worry no more about liquid spills or beach sand. These elements cannot quickly destroy its delicate internal parts. It has a bolder logo that stands out, unlike previous brand versions. Its different conspicuous colors are suitable for different customer tastes and design preferences.
- It has two bass radiators, a separate tweeter, and a long excursion driver to enhance audio quality, empower bass production, and efficiently balance the sound for clarity.
- The output power of 40 watts
- Uses Bluetooth 5.1 version.
- Through the PartyBoost feature, the Charge 5 can link with two JBL PartyBoost-compatible speakers in stereo or link multiple.
- Long-lasting rechargeable battery with a 20-hour life span on continuous playtime.
- It has an internal power bank that charges your devices keeping them charged up when on trips.
- IP67 waterproof and dustproof exterior, allowing you to carry it anywhere without worrying about malfunctioning.
- The bold and larger JBL brand logo stands out.
- Improved sound production. It has a more balanced audio quality, louder intensity, and deeper bass than the Charge 4.
- A battery life span that keeps it playing for a longer time uninterruptibly.
- Its updated dustproof and waterproof exterior surface keeps it in good condition regardless of where it is placed.
- Inbuilt power bank and USB – A port can charge your devices even when power is unavailable wherever you are.
- Broad rubber ridges on the base of the speaker to improve stability.
- The sound gets distorted, especially when playing at loud volumes.
- It has no AUX input jack
- Just like the Charge 4, it has no speakerphone
- Requires two units for stereo sound.
JBL Charge 4 Vs Charge 5 Specs Comparison
|Has an IPX7 waterproof feature. No dustproof feature||Has IP67 waterproof and dustproof feature|
|The output power of 30 watts||The output power of 40 watts|
|Less powerful bass radiators||More powerful bass radiators|
|It uses Bluetooth 4.2 and therefore uses more battery power.||It uses Bluetooth 5.1 and utilizes less battery power|
|It uses Connect + to link with multiple speakers; thus, less powerful||It uses the JBL PartyBoost, which has enhanced audio quality.|
|It contains a set of lights that get turned off as the battery goes down.||It has a light that shines brighter when the speaker is fully charged and dims as the speaker’s power depreciates.|
|Less powerful than Charge 5 and unsuitable for open environments with larger crowds,||It Has a sharper treble and less distortion when played in louder volumes, thus better for a vast open environment with bigger crowds.|
|Color ranges available: Grey, Green, Black, Blue, Pink, Gold, Mustard, White, Red, Teal, and Camouflage.||Color ranges available: Grey, red, black, teal, navy, and camouflage|
|The JBL logo is smaller and less conspicuous.||Has a larger and bolder JBL logo on the body.|
JBL Charge 4 Vs Charge 5 Sound Quality
The JBL Charge 5 produces a powerful track and is incredibly louder. The vocal quality has energetic propulsion. Furthermore, the double bass radiators are modified to create a deeper, bombastic bass quality. The Charge 5 is more balanced in its sound profile, enabling audio to be crisper and experience less distortion when played loudly.
The Charge 4 speaker has a great texture through its mids and treble ranges. However, its bass radiators are less powerful than the ones in Charger 5. Therefore, the bass range is less impactful.
In conclusion, the Charger 5 speaker has enhanced sound quality compared to the Charger 4. It has a louder volume, less distortion, a smooth element, and, most importantly, a deeper bass that you would love.
JBL Charge 4 Vs Charge 5 Watts
JBL Charge 5 has a higher wattage of 40 watts than Charge 4 with 30 watts. For this reason, the Charger 5 is more powerful in its audio production than the latter. It is important to note that the wattage of a smart speaker indicates how much power it can withstand. By enhancing the wattage of a speaker, the Charge 5 speaker is preferable to customers who desire robust sound quality.
JBL Charge 4 Vs Charge 5 Size
The JBL Charge 4 has a smaller size of 8.7 x 3.7 x 3.7 inches compared to the Charge 5, which is 8.8 x 3.8 x 3.7 inches. However, these differences are not significant. Both speakers are portable and can be carried using one hand. They can fit in any small space without much difficulty.
JBL Charge 5 Vs Flip 5
Flip 5 is a lightweight speaker from JBL that you can carry on your journey or trip. Its Lithium-ion battery guarantees you 12 hours of music playtime. The Flip 5 can be linked to two JBL-compatible speakers for maximum audio production. It has a waterproof exterior that ensures the speaker remains indestructible from liquids during your trip.
Differences Between JBL Charge 5 and Flip 5
|IP67 is waterproof and dustproof.||IPX7 waterproof|
|Battery life of 20 hours||Battery life of 12 hours|
|Size: 8.8 x 3.8 x 3.7 inches.||Size: 7.1 x 2.7 x 2.9 inches|
|It has a deeper bass frequency||Higher set bass response|
|The JBL logo is bolder and more conspicuous on the body||The JBL logo is smaller and less eye-catching.|
The Charge 5 contains many features not available in the Flip 5 speaker. It has improved audio quality and is more powerful, louder, durable, and long-lasting. However, if you intend to use a speaker for self-use purposes, the Flip 5 has better clarity on its audio and reduced distortion. It is also cheaper than the Charge 5 and thus pocket-friendly.
What’s Better, JBL Charge 4 or Bose?
Bose is better than JBL Charge 4 in terms of durability. This is because it has an IP55 water and dust resistance feature. The Charge 4 only has a water resistance feature making it less convenient. Although Bose has a better sound quality, JBL Charge 4 is louder and more powerful. JBL Charge 4 has a longer battery life than Bose. The Bose speaker is also more expensive than JBL Charge 4.
Does Bose own JBL?
No. JBL is a brand owned by Harman International. Bose is a brand owned by The Massachusetts institute of technology (MIT). These are two different companies. Bose was founded in 1964, while JBL was founded much earlier, in 1946.
JBL Charge speakers are convenient audio devices. You can carry the speakers on a trip and listen to music. The speakers come in different versions. The Charge 5 is an upgrade of the Charge 4 speaker. It has enhanced audio qualities that make the music experience better.
Its exterior build is also designed to improve durability—no need to worry about dust and water elements that would cause damage. Charge 5 is a worthwhile improvement of Charge 4.