What do you mean, a monitor can be overclocked, too? When we talk about overclocking a monitor, this refers to increasing the refresh rate. This is a pretty simple and straightforward process that results in a seamless and smooth gaming experience when implemented the right way.
Just like any other overclocking process, a computer monitor needs to be overclocked with great care to avoid damaging its delicate internal components. One important thing that you need to know is that overclocking your monitor will automatically void the warranty. Before you make any changes or you tinker away, make sure that you are fine to let go of your monitor’s warranty.
How Do I Go About Overclocking My Monitor?
The method that you will be using in overclocking your PC monitor is pretty similar to the process of overclocking graphic cards, but since the platforms are vastly different, we will provide you with different overclocking methods.
How to Overclock NVIDIA
To start, simply open your NVIDIA control panel on your computer. Right-click on your desktop and select from the dropdown menu. Navigate until you find the Change Resolution option on the side menu, then click customize. From this point, a menu box will appear, which then enables you to change the refresh rate (Hz) of your computer monitor.
We highly recommend adjusting the refresh rates only in very small increments, such as 5 to 10Hz. The NVIDIA control panel will let you test the results to ensure that you like the result before implementing a reboot of your computer.
Overclocking an AMD is pretty much the same as overclocking with NVIDIA. However, it needs to be executed through another platform. For AMD graphic cards, you will find great success using the AMD Radeon settings.
To start overclocking, open the AMD Radeon settings, then choose the Display tab. Next, you need to click on create that is next to custom resolutions. To overclock your monitor, simply change the refresh rate in very small increments, such as 5 to 10Hz. After you’ve figured out the setting you prefer, hit Save.
You can also overclock a screen using Intel’s integrated graphic cards. To overlock the cards, you first need to open the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel. From here, you need to click Display, then Custom Resolutions. Make sure that you are under the Add tab, then you need to enter your desired refresh rate before clicking save to finish the process.
Important Things You Should Know About Overclocking Your Monitor:
- It is imperative that you reboot the computer for the changes to take full effect. But this is not where overclocking ends. There will be cases when your computer will accept new overclock settings that it can’t handle, which may possibly result in screen tearing, black screens, and other errors.
- Before you play any game, make sure that the changes you have made have taken full effect first. Put your computer to the test through games or run a frame-skipping test instead. You simply need to follow the directions on the screen to ensure that your overclocking settings are in full effect.
- Overclocking a monitor should be done at your own risk. While it is true that computer monitor overclocking does not harm your monitor, there are still no guarantees that it will not shorten the lifespan of your screen or cause problems over time. A great majority of monitors can handle a small amount of overclocking, but there will always be a risk of complications, even if that risk is minimal.
- Do not forget that your monitor, as well as peripherals, may limit overclocking potential. If you are using an outdated connection such as DVI that is programmed to support up to 60Hz, your monitor may be unable to perform even when the new refresh settings have been enabled.
Here are Refresh Rate and Overclocking Tips for Gamers
Now that you are knowledgeable on how to overclock your monitor, it is also important to keep these general pointers in mind before implementing an optimized gaming display:
- Always check how many Hz your monitor can handle. You can do this by researching your monitor’s specs online. You may also right-click on your desktop, go to the Display menu, and then select Advanced, then Monitor to read the details. Knowledge of your current Hz is important as this will inform you on how much or how far you can overclock your monitor while still remaining compatible with the actual video feed.
- Choose between NVIDIA or AMD as they are adaptive technologies that allow monitors to be updated only when a frame is transmitted from a graphics card which keeps the two in sync, by generating a seamless display of frames below your actual refresh rate.
- Always conduct a dry run. Before you log on for a tournament play, you need to perform a trial run on your new settings first. Although your PC monitor may appear stable, the new settings may result in frame skipping that could transform your near-win into an instant loss. Utilize motion tests before your next battle to ensure that you don’t suffer from unexpected problems.
- Overclocking is not always the best option. Make sure to check an Overclock menu option with your PC monitor’s setting before working our system with new settings that it may not be able to handle.
- Overclocking may potentially void your warranty, but when implemented properly, you will achieve refresh rates that are significantly faster than its default refresh rate.
- An overclocked monitor may solve screen tearing while minimizing input lag and display stutter issues. The scenes will appear immediately on the screen, and the objects will look sharper, and your gaming scenes will feel and look super smooth, too.
If you are looking for an amazing visual experience and apply a competitive edge to your gaming, it could be worthwhile to learn the methods on how to overclock your monitor before purchasing a brand-new display.
Overclocking your computer monitor is quick, simple, and straightforward. You need to be familiar with the basics of overclocking, as well as the possible problems that may arise from this technique. If your monitor is already past its warranty or if you are willing to overclock with risks involved, this method can deliver some amazing rewards during your gameplay performance.
Originally posted 2020-04-07 09:09:01.