Are you tired of paying hefty monthly electricity bills, or are you going crazy with the constant power outages in your area? If yes, you may consider getting a solar generator to back up your home.
Home solar generators are available as part of whole solar power systems comprising:
The individual components play an essential role in powering your home. If you are looking for a solar generator, you may have seen thousands of brands in the market. Each promises to offer the best features and reliability.
So which among the different types of solar generators would be suitable for your home backup? What capacity should the generator have to handle your home appliances?
Let’s find out.
Table Of Contents
- 1 Best Solar Generator For Home Backup Summary
- 2 Can A Solar Generator Power A House?
- 3 Do Solar Generators Work At Night?
- 4 Do Solar Generators Work On Cloudy Days?
- 5 How Big Of A Solar Generator Do you Need?
- 6 What Will a 1000-watt Solar Generator Run?
- 7 How Long Will a Solar Generator Power a Refrigerator?
- 8 Will a Solar Generator Run a Space Heater?
- 9 Is It Worth Getting a Solar Generator?
- 10 How Long Does a Solar Generator Last?
- 11 Best Overall Solar Generator For Home Backup
- 12 Best Budget Solar Generator For Home Backup
- 13 Best Whole House Solar Generator
- 14 Best Solar Generator For Off-grid Living
- 15 Most Powerful Solar Generators For Home Backup
- 16 Which is the Best Solar Generator for Home Backup?
Best Solar Generator For Home Backup Summary
- Best overall: EF ECOFLOW DELTA Pro
- Best Budget: EF ECOFLOW Delta Max (1600)
- Best Whole House: BLUETTI AC300
- Best for Off-Grid Living: Bluetti AC200Max
- Best Portable: Jackery Explorer 2000 Pro
- Most powerful: The Goal Zero Yeti 6000x
Can A Solar Generator Power A House?
Homeowners can rely on backup power from solar generators and solar panels when the electricity goes out. Solar power generators are crucial because solar energy accounts for 39% of all new electricity-producing capacity in the United States.
Does a solar generator provide enough energy to run a house?
A single solar generator may not provide enough energy to run a home’s electrical system. However, you might use it to run less energy electrical appliances like fans and lights.
Installing many solar panels is necessary if you intend to use solar generators for all your power needs. You would also have to invest in more than one solar generator.
Do Solar Generators Work At Night?
At night, solar panels are unable to generate power. The solar panels’ photovoltaic cells can’t generate power unless exposed to light.
Solar panels can be used in other ways to generate power when the sun goes down. For instance, you may use solar battery storage and net metering to generate energy long after sunset.
The extra charge will allow you to keep using the gadget throughout the night. The battery’s longevity is determined by several factors, including the number of electrical appliances you use at a given time.
It’s preferable to run the generators when necessary to ensure sufficient backup batteries following each charge cycle.
Do Solar Generators Work On Cloudy Days?
Solar generators may convert indirect sunlight into usable energy as effectively as they can when exposed to direct sunlight. The generators are powered by sunlight that penetrates or reflects off the clouds. It allows them to be charged even when ambient light levels are low.
Sunburns on overcast days are a surefire indicator that radiation can penetrate clouds. Any light can power solar generators. However, the efficiency of energy production is only dependent on the amount of light it receives.
The generator’s efficiency mainly determines the amount of electricity produced and the performance of the solar panels, even under cloud cover.
Even on overcast days, solar panels can generate some energy. However, their output is significantly reduced compared to clear skies.
Expect them to produce 10-25% of their average volume under heavy cloud cover. Solar panels perform better on bright days than gloomy ones but struggle in sweltering climates.
If the temperature is over 77 degrees Fahrenheit, solar panel manufacturing begins to decrease (25 degrees Celsius).
How Big Of A Solar Generator Do you Need?
Investing in an appropriately sized solar generator guarantees reliable power without breaking the bank.
Consider your needs before settling on a solar generator’s output rating. In other words, how many devices do you need to charge, for how long, and what exactly will you be using them for?
The larger the load the generator must supply, the more potent the generator must be. This is the way that most things function, including solar generators.
Many potential power drains make it daunting to tailor a generator to your precise requirements.
|1000W – 1500W||
|2000W – 2500W||Can Support the whole house for short periods|
|3000W – 5000W||It can support the whole house for 1 to 5 hours or 7 to 15 hours with a backup battery|
|6000W and above||Can power your whole house appliances for up to 24 hours|
The ideal size of a solar generator may differ from one user to the other since it depends on individual requirements. A solar generator designed for a tent would have to be far more compact than one designed for an RV.
It’ll help if you could evaluate how much power you’d need. That will help you figure out how big of a solar generator you’d need.
What Will a 1000-watt Solar Generator Run?
Lighting, computers, appliances (such as coffee makers or dishwashers), and even a slow cooker can all be powered by a single 1,000-Watt generator.
They are also efficient enough to run a flat-screen television, a refrigerator, and tools. No large refrigerator or window air conditioner will run on a generator with only 1,000 watts.
Calculating your devices’ required starting and operating wattage is the way to go. It can tell you whether or not your home backup generator can supply enough electricity.
This generator will do the trick if you only need to make one cup of coffee or run a small electric grill.
There are other various ways to construct a system with a 1000-watt output. You can settle for a portable, permanent or semipermanent system that will suit your needs.
How Long Will a Solar Generator Power a Refrigerator?
Depending on their age and efficiency, most refrigerators have a power consumption range of 300 to 800 watts.
You shouldn’t have trouble using solar energy to run your fridge because modern solar power devices can gather and store enough energy.
Contrary to popular belief, refrigerators don’t consume as much power. Energy use for refrigeration accounts for only 3% of total residential energy use, according to a study by the U.S. Energy Information Administration. That’s much less you’d pay for electricity, HVAC, and water.
A refrigerator uses more than 1,500 watt-hours of energy every day. Thus, the battery will be entirely dead in a day. All reputable businesses include this in their product descriptions.
You might reason that if you sleep for 12 hours, you’ll wake up with fully charged batteries and be ready for the next night’s adventure. But there are three problems with this theory.
The solar panel will nearly deplete your battery by nighttime, meaning it’ll only last through the night. If your refrigerator draws 1,500 watt-hours per day, and you only have 500 watt-hours of solar electricity, your food will spoil quickly.
Will a Solar Generator Run a Space Heater?
Heaters are energy intensive. Choose a generator with an output of not less than 2,000 watts to be on the safe side.
Most room heaters have a 1,500-watt power output. You’ll need a more powerful generator than this to run a space heater for as long as you need.
Protecting your expensive solar generator from power fluctuations that could blow a fuse is the job of the “extra” 500 watts. Usually, these shifts result from either a defective extension cord or a resetting of the thermostat.
According to a conservative assessment, a generator with around 2,000 watts of electricity would be sufficient. The output of your generator must be greater than the wattage rating of a typical space heater (1,500).
Is It Worth Getting a Solar Generator?
Solar generators are cost-effective and practical because they can power homes independently of the utility company.
Generators powered by the sun may be pricey to purchase at first, but they’ll more than cover their costs in the long run. High-quality solar generators have an expected lifespan of more than ten years which is an excellent long-term investment.
Solar generators are practical tools because they may be utilized again. Off-grid and emergency preparedness are improved, depending on your chosen model.
Because of their construction and composition, solar energy systems will operate more silently than noisy gas generators and require fewer repairs.
A solar generator is more reliable and less noisy than a conventional one since it uses simply moving cooling fans in place of combustion.
How Long Does a Solar Generator Last?
How well the unit’s batteries function and how often you use the solar generator are some of the factors that determine how long your solar generator lasts. A lifespan of between seven and ten years is realistic if you use your solar generator frequently.
Generac power plants have a life expectancy of more than 15 years, though this varies with how their owners treat them. It should survive for at least five years if you use it frequently.
Furthermore, your generator is still useful even though the unit’s lifespan has ended.
If you have a solar generator, you can use the battery generally because it will retain 80% of its power. Your battery life will be affected, but it’ll still be reliable.
A solar generator’s lifespan is increased by the time it is utilized and can go up to several years.
Solar generators have a long lifespan, depending on the brand and quality. The unit may not be cheap, but it will ultimately pay off. Many companies also offer warranties for their generators. If anything goes wrong, you can get a replacement or repairs at no or reduced cost.
Are you looking for the best solar generator for your needs? Here are some options you may consider:
Best Overall Solar Generator For Home Backup
The EcoFlow Delta Pro solar generator has unrivaled power and output capacity, making it the finest option for a home’s backup power source in the event of a power outage.
Despite its price tag, the EcoFlow Delta Pro stands out as the best overall due to its longevity, power output, and diverse applications. You can be sure of a reliable and clean power source no matter your circumstances.
- The 25,000Wh maximum capacity of the Delta Pro can be increased by connecting additional EcoFlow batteries and generators.
- It’s possible to monitor energy consumption, adjust the Delta Pro’s operation, and take charge of various other functions with the help of the companion app available for iOS and Android devices.
- Despite its weight, the Delta Pro’s size is mobile thanks to its casters, although it’s designed for installation in a home or other semipermanent setting.
- An LFP battery is utilized in the battery power station. DELTA Pro is an easily transportable home battery. Powerful (3600Wh) battery capacity, 3600W AC output, and 15 total outlets.
- The 400-watt lightweight solar panel can be taken anywhere and won’t break down from the elements. It’s built with layers of durable fiberglass and pliable EVA to endure a long time and remain portable.
- The MPPT algorithm and DELTA Pro help the 400W portable solar panel perform well in all conditions. Its efficiency is impressive at 22.4%.
- It has a huge battery capacity
- Chargeable in about five different ways
- It’s Portable
- It contains additional solar panels
- Very practical, with about 15 outlets
- It may be heavier than its competitors due to its larger size and expanded functionality.
Best Budget Solar Generator For Home Backup
Easily and swiftly charge your essential home electronics with the 2000W AC output of the EcoFlow DELTA Max (1600) Portable Power Station.
The Delta Max offers quite an impressive feature set despite its entry-level price. Compared to its counterparts, it features the highest range of components that would offer you the best services in the event of disaster or outages. That’s considering that you can add on to the 2800W capacity for more lifetime and the high-tech BMS system for the safety of your devices.
- It has 2800W X-Boost power to handle your air conditioner, heaters, and other high-wattage devices.
- Add another battery to increase the home backup capacity from 1612Wh to 5644Wh. Using AC with the Smart Generator’s dual charging capabilities allows for even higher speeds.
- It’s an ideal solar generator for home backup, Camping, or RV Travel It features 1612Wh expandable capacity with 6 x 2000W (5000W Surge) AC Outlets EF $1,350.00
- Depending on your needs, you can choose from solar + AC or solar + the smart generator.
- A high-tech battery management system (BMS) monitors and safeguards your possessions at all times.
- Multiple charging methods and charges up to 80% within an hour.
- Fast charging
- It’s fairly cheap
- Safe to use for most appliances
- It has a huge capacity that can be expanded
- A bit heavy
Best Whole House Solar Generator
Each BLUETTI AC300 is an excellent choice for a whole-house solar generator. It is a perfect fit for everyday home use with the added four B300 battery packs that you would find very useful. It’s easy to move around and can simultaneously be used for several appliances in different output types.
- Accommodate up to four battery packs (BLUETTI B300). That means you’re good to go up to 12,288Wh.
- Additionally, the power and storage capacity of two AC300s is doubled. With an AC300 and a B300, the system can store a combined total of 24,576Wh.
- It comes with a fast dual charging input that includes solar and AC. It totals a maximum of 5400W.
- It has 16 versatile ports, including a 3000W AC USB-A and wireless charger ports that come in handy for multiple appliances.
- It incorporates a 24/7 UPS home backup meaning it powers up immediately if you experience a blackout.
- Comes with a B300 battery on purchase.
- Expandable capacity
- Very easy to use
- Fast charging
- Supports multiple appliances
- Powers itself during a blackout
- May malfunction during a power fluctuation
Best Solar Generator For Off-grid Living
The Bluetti AC200Max is excellent for off-grid power generation due to its high individual output and the ability to be paralleled with additional batteries. You’ll need a reasonable amount of power to support your off-grid appliances easily. The AC200Max will produce 2,048 Watt-hours, and as such, it will provide you with enough power for a comfortable off-the-grid experience. The additional B300 batteries make it 8,192 Watt-hours. It also allows for a direct connection to an RV for use away from the formal settings.
- Its 2,048Wh capacity ensures it can outlast even the longest portable generators when fully charged. It also has a 2200W inverter that ensures safety for your everyday use.
- Multiple Bluetti B300 cells may be connected to it to form a monstrous 8,192Wh battery. You can also use about 2 B230 cells to power about 6144Wh.
- The AC200 Max’s 1,400W of input power is likewise respectable. This means its energy storage may be rapidly refilled in about 2 hours or less.
- Has a total of 16 charging ports. A 30A plug allows for direct connection to an RV, and there are multiple wireless charging ports for smaller items.
- Comes with solar and car charging cables and a 400W AC adapter.
- Large capacity
- Can support multiple appliances
- Fast charging
- Quite heavy
Most Powerful Solar Generators For Home Backup
The Goal Zero Yeti 6000x is a powerful and versatile portable power station that can keep your devices and appliances powered up when no other power source is available. This reliable power station features a large-capacity lithium-ion battery that can provide up to 6000 watt-hours, making it ideal for extended use during power outages or for powering up devices and appliances in remote locations. The Yeti 6000x also features a handy built-in solar panel (bought separately) that can keep the battery charged while you’re on the go. It includes a variety of ports and outlets so you can easily power up multiple devices at once. Whether you need a reliable backup power source or want to be prepared for anything, the Goal Zero Yeti 6000x is an excellent choice.
- The Yeti 6000X can supply power to seven devices simultaneously and has 6,071 Watt-Hours. This makes it suitable for use in homes, recreational vehicles, trailers, and even construction sites, where it can power vital circuits.
- Several electronic gadgets can be charged via the seven available ports. These include two 120V AC connectors, a regulated 12V output, two USB-A ports, and a 60W USB-C Power Delivery port.
- Yeti App 3.0 monitors, manages, and enhances your energy consumption remotely. Battery life can be prolonged with remote power in/out control, real-time notifications of power consumption, and charging profiles.
- Apart from the Goal Zero solar panel, you can charge it from any power outlet, which takes about 12 hours to charge fully. It’s also chargeable from your car with a 12-volt adapter.
- Easy to use
- Huge battery capacity
- Can handle multiple appliances
- It doesn’t come with a solar panel (bought separately)
Best Portable Solar Generator For Home Backup
The Jackery Explorer 2000 Pro can power a whole camping set up with its 2,160 Watt Hours of power. Not to mention that its battery can be fully charged in a mind-blowing two and a half hours. The amount of AC this generator produces is enough to handle multiple appliances simultaneously for an extended period.
- If you plug it into six 200W solar panels, the portable power station will be fully charged in around two and a half hours.
- Comparatively, the Jackery Explorer 1500 only had four panels, making the 2000 Pro an upgrade. That’s a significant time saving compared to the original, smaller version.
- Various electronic devices and appliances can be plugged into the device’s eight output ports. The digital display is legible, and the interface is intuitive.
- It also incorporates an ergonomic handle that allows easy use when starting it and plugging in your devices.
- Easy to use
- Reasonable capacity for its kind
- Very reliable
- It has a 5-year warranty
- You have to purchase the solar panel separately
Which is the Best Solar Generator for Home Backup?
The best solar generator is essential to ensure adequate energy to power your home. Your choice of the ideal generator should depend on various factors, including budget and energy requirements.
Before you can make a choice, it’ll be best to evaluate the energy needs in your home to determine how much power you need. Check the number of appliances you have, their wattage, and how long you’ll use them.