FaceTime is among the many applications and software that facilitate video calling locally and internationally. It is built into the Apple ecosystem and lets iPhone users make FaceTime calls to each other. But is FaceTime free internationally in 2023?
- The FaceTime feature is free to use.
- Check roaming/pay-as-you-go rate before using internationally.
- Android users can only join a FaceTime call.
Yes, FaceTime is free internationally, and you won’t incur any charge. You only need stable Wi-Fi connectivity to make FaceTime calls. But you’ll incur 3G/4G/LTE/5G costs if you use mobile data. Similarly, you’ll also incur the Wi-Fi service charge.
Table Of Contents
Is FaceTime Free on Wi-Fi
Yes, FaceTime is free on Wi-Fi. The only cost you’ll incur are the charges for your mobile data or what you pay to your Wi-Fi internet provider.
FaceTime calls are different from regular calls. While regular mobile calls use protocols from a mobile network, FaceTime uses a different protocol to make calls. When you connect to your home Wi-Fi, the calls are entirely free.
If you’re using mobile data, you’ll need to pay for the data. But you, of course, need to pay for your home Wi-Fi. If not, you need to connect to a Wi-Fi hotspot.
Is FaceTime Free Internationally Without Wi-Fi
FaceTime is free to use. However, using FaceTime in other countries will incur data roaming charges. Also, individuals on a pay-as-you-go plan incur charges as they use a lot of data. We recommend you check these costs before using FaceTime internationally, as it can be costly.
Users that incur charges are only those using mobile data. However, if using Wi-Fi or a Wi-Fi hotspot, the services are entirely free. You can make FaceTime video or audio calls. If using data roaming services, you can make FaceTime audio calls to reduce charges – FaceTime audio calls use relatively less data than video calls.
FaceTime International Charges T-Mobile
While it is free to use FaceTime, T-Mobile may charge roaming charges. Those on a pay-as-you-go plan may incur higher costs. Therefore, we recommend you check your pay-as-you-go plan or T-Mobile contract before using FaceTime.
Incoming messages and calls are free with an unlimited plan. Also, outgoing messages and calls you make to users with US phone numbers are free.
However, when making FaceTime calls internationally (non-US numbers), people in the US will incur charges depending on their plan’s long-distance charges. Otherwise, if you’re outside the US and have an unlimited plan, you’ll incur $0.25/min for roaming and cellular for FaceTime calls.
Individuals dwelling in countries outside the simple global list will incur charges as per the World Class rates provisions. However, if you don’t have an unlimited plan, you’ll incur charges as per the World Class Calling rates provisions for international FaceTime calls.
Why Can’t I FaceTime Internationally?
There are several reasons why you may not FaceTime internationally. First, the feature may be unavailable in your country or your carrier. FaceTime is available in most countries and carriers. You should check the Apple support page if you cannot FaceTime internationally.
The person on the other side you’re trying to contact may have the same problem. If this is the case, you cannot make the FaceTime call. Before you give up, check your internet speed. Open your Wi-Fi or mobile data settings to check the connection speed. A slow internet connection can cause problems, denying you the chance to make an international FaceTime call.
If the problem persists, try the following fixes:
Update your FaceTime settings
After setting up your new device, you may need to update the FaceTime settings for international FaceTime calls to go through.
Follow the steps below to update your FaceTime settings.
- Update your phone/tablet to the latest iOS or iPadOS version.
- Open the Settings app and select Mobile Data.
- Turn on your phone line. If you have multiple, select the SIM you want to use and turn it on.
- Select FaceTime, turn it off, and back on.
- Input the phone number you wish to use with FaceTime.
Try the fix below if you still can’t make international FaceTime calls even after updating your FaceTime settings.
- Connect your phone to Wi-Fi or mobile data. Disable any firewall, router, or security software that may bar you from connecting to the internet.
- If on Mobile, turn on Use Mobile Data/ Use Cellular Data.
- Open Settings.
- Select Mobile Data (or Cellular)
- Proceed to turn on FaceTime.
- Turn FaceTime off and back on if your device displays “Waiting for Activation.” However, if you can’t see FaceTime settings, turn on your camera and FaceTime. Use the steps below.
- Go to Settings.
- Select Screen Time.
- Tap the Content & Privacy Restrictions tab.
- Click on the Allowed Apps button.
- Check to confirm that the phone number and email address you’ve listed are correct.
- Open Settings.
- Navigate to General
- Select Date & Time. Here, you need to turn on Set Automatically.
- Restart your device and update it to the latest iOS or iPadOS version.
How to FaceTime International Number?
FaceTime locally and internationally have no difference – you’ll follow the same procedure. You can make a FaceTime call to an international number in several ways. No matter the method, you’ll need their phone number or email address.
Below are the different ways you can FaceTime international numbers.
- Open the FaceTime app.
- Click on the New FaceTime tab.
- Enter the phone number or email address of the person you want to call.
- Press the number/email address.
- Click on the Audio button or FaceTime to make the call.
If you want to FaceTime someone in your contact list, follow the steps below.
- Type the name of the person you want to call. Follow the order you’ve used to save their number.
- Tap on the name when it displays on the screen.
- Click on the FaceTime or Audio button to make the call.
Is FaceTime Free on Android?
No, FaceTime isn’t free on Android. Android does not support the FaceTime feature or app – it is only available on iPad, iPhones, and Macs. However, you can join a FaceTime call if someone with an Apple device sends you a link.
They need to set up the call, create a link then send you the link, which you can use to join the call. Since you don’t have a FaceTime app, you’ll join the call in a web browser like Chrome.
Introducing iOS 15, macOS 12 Monterey, and iPadOS 15 ensured that anyone could join a FaceTime call – including Android users.
The guide below shows the steps from creating a link on an Apple device to joining the call on an Android device or Windows PC.
- On your Apple device, open the FaceTime app.
- Click on the Create Link tab at the top section of the interface.
- A pop-up will appear on the screen asking how you want to share the link. Select any option from the list; via Mail, Messages, AirDrop, or Snapchat, among others, and send the link to the Android device.
- When you receive the link on an Android device, open it on a web browser. You can open it in Microsoft Edge or Chrome.
- Enter your name on the Android device/ Windows PC.
- Click the Continue tab to proceed.
- A floating pop-up appears, prompting you to join. Press the green Join button to enter the call. It will instruct you to give FaceTime access to the camera and microphone.
- On the Apple device, accept the Android device/Windows PC request to join the call.
- FaceTime will send an alert on the Apple device anytime another device wants to join the call.
- Once connected, FaceTime will have the same display across all devices. You’ll have the option to show/hide your camera, mute, or leave the call, among many other options.