How to connect PS4 Controller Without USB
Table Of Contents
- 1 How to connect PS4 Controller Without USB
- 1.1 How to Connect PS4 Controller Without USB
- 1.2 How to Connect PS4 Controller Without USB or Bluetooth
- 1.3 Are There Other Methods to Connect PS4 Controllers Without USB Cables?
- 1.4 How to Connect PS4 Controller to the Phone
- 1.5 PS4 Controller Won’t Connect
- 1.6 How to connect PS4 Controller Without USB FAQs
While the USB remains the primary method of connecting the PS4 to your computer, many other ways exist.
The external Bluetooth adapter is vital in connecting PS4 to your PC. This adapter lets you connect the PS4 wirelessly, eliminating the need for a USB cable. You only need to install the Bluetooth adapter on your PC, link your controllers, and you’re good to go. This and the USB cable method work with macOS, Windows, and Linux Operating Systems.
Let’s find out how you can connect your PS4 to your PC without a USB cable.
How to Connect PS4 Controller Without USB
Follow the steps below to connect the PS4 controller without a USB.
- Open your PS4 dashboard and go to Settings.
- .Select Devices.
- From the options listed, choose Bluetooth Devices.
- Use the PS4 remote to do the procedure (2). Alternatively, you can use a different PS4 controller.
- Press the PS button and the Share button simultaneously for about five seconds. The controllers should be the ones of the PS4 you wish to connect.
- The above procedure (4) will display the PS4 pad on the Bluetooth devices screen.
- Click on the PS4 pad option to connect the PS4 controller.
- You’re good to go.
How to Connect PS4 Controller Without USB or Bluetooth
You can connect the PS4 controller using the steam account without USB or Bluetooth.
How to Connect PS4 Controller With Steam Account
Other than connecting your PS4 controllers wirelessly using Bluetooth, you can also use a Steam account.
Steam is a popular gaming platform and allows one to connect DualShock 4 controllers without USB cables.
Follow the procedure below to connect your PS4 controller to your PC using Steam.
Install the latest Steam client on your PC and open it.
- Sign up to register an account.
- Log into your account using your login credentials, that is, your username and password.
- Connect the controllers to your PC. You can do so wirelessly using Bluetooth or a wired USB cable connection. Let’s go with the Bluetooth option.
- Long press the PS button simultaneously with the Share button for a few seconds until you see the lightbar start blinking. Doing so should pair the PS4 controller with the PC.
- On the Windows 11 Settings, open the Bluetooth and Devices section.
- Click on this section to select it. This command will add the device.
- Under the Bluetooth option, the detected PS4 controller will display as a PS4 Dual Shock Controller or a Wireless Controller. Select it.
- Return to the Steam account.
- In the upper left corner is a Steam icon that you should select.
- Click on the Settings button to display the controllers.
- Click on your controller.
- Press the General Control Settings button on the right-hand side.
- From the dropdown menu, choose PlayStation configuration support.
- Configure your Steam controller, and you’ll be good to go.
At this point, your PS4 controller will be ready to connect to your PC. Unfortunately, even after successfully connecting your PS4 controllers to your PC, the game you wish to play may fail to identify the PS4 controllers connected. If that is the case, we recommend you connect the PS4 controllers using Bluetooth as guided above.
Are There Other Methods to Connect PS4 Controllers Without USB Cables?
Yes, other than connecting the PS4 controllers wirelessly using a Steam account and Bluetooth, you can also do so using the ad hoc network or a third-party USB dongle.
Let’s find out how.
How to Connect PS4 Controllers Using Ad Hoc Network
This method lets you connect your PS4 controllers to the PC using the Ethernet cables. Though effective, connecting the PS4 controllers directly to the computer is an unpopular method.
Follow the steps below to connect the PS4 controllers using the ad hoc network.
- Download the PlayStation Network (PSN) client.
- Install the PSN client on your PC.
- The PSN client allows you to access your favorite games and controllers online.
- However, before you get things started, read the instructions with your PS4 controllers. This way, you should connect the controller properly and ensure it works as expected.
How to Use a 3rd Party USB Dongle for Controller
You can use a third-party USB dongle to connect your PS4 controllers to your PC. However, cross-check to ensure that your PS4 configuration is compatible with this option.
To do so, follow the steps below.
- Open System Settings.
- Select the Devices section and click on the Controller tab.
- Configure the dongle if your display reads as follows; A controller can’t control this device.
- Check to establish if your PC is compatible with the dongle. Fortunately, third-party USB dongles seamlessly work with macOS, Windows, and Linux Operating Systems.
- Ensure the dongle works with your software package or your PS4 game.
- Ensure that you connect the dongle correctly; otherwise, the PS4 may fail to recognize it.
How to Connect PS4 Controller to the Phone
You can connect the PS4 controller to your phone using the PS Remote Play. PS Remote Play lets you display the PS4 screen on your mobile device.
Follow the steps below to use the PS4 Second Screen feature to connect your PS4 controller to your phone.
- Download PS4 Second Screen from Google Play App Store.
- Install it on your phone.
- Establish a shared network connection between your phone and the PS4.
- Open Settings on the PS4 system.
- Press the Mobile App Connection Settings and select Add Device. This will display a number on the screen.
- Open the PS4 Second Screen on your phone.
- Choose the PS4 system you wish to connect to.
- Enter the number displayed on the PS4 system to your phone.
- Click on the Register tab.
- Your device name should appear under the Add Device section on the PS4 screen.
PS4 Controller Won’t Connect
You may follow the above procedure to the latter, but the PS4 fails to recognize the connection. If that is the case, we recommend troubleshooting ideas to get you started. Below are our recommendations.
- For wired PS4 controllers connection, ensure the controllers are connected to the PC and the PS4 correctly. A loose connection or incorrect connection will not recognize the controllers.
- For a wireless PS4 controller connection, ensure that the PS4 controllers are connected to the PS4 correctly. Also, you should check to ensure that the wireless connection you opted for is working correctly. If the wireless connection malfunctions, the PS4 controllers may fail to connect to your PC. The same applies if you do not connect the controllers to the PS4.
- If the above troubleshooting methods fail to resolve your issue, try restarting your PC and the PS4 console. This method should resolve any issue arising in the connection.
How to connect PS4 Controller Without USB FAQs
How Do I Connect My PS4 Controller to My PS4 With a Broken USB Port?
You can connect your PS4 controller to your PS4 with a broken USB port through a wireless connection. Bluetooth’s connection is a standard method to do so. (Refer to the procedure listed above.) You can also use a steam account or an ad hoc network.
How Do I Sync My Wireless PS4 Controller?
You can sync your wireless PS4 controller using a Bluetooth connection. Long press the Share and PS buttons simultaneously for a few seconds. This function will make the PS4 controller appear on the PS4 screen. Click on it to sync. The PS4 controller is now ready, and you can use it to play your favorite PS4 game on your console.
How Do I Manually Connect My PS4 Controller?
Follow the steps below to connect the PS4 controller to your PS4 manually.
- At the front of your PS4 console, there is a USB port. Plug your controller’s USB cable into it.
- Plug the other end of the USB cable into the PS4 controller’s port. This procedure will connect the PS4 and the controller.
- Press the power button on the PS4 console to turn it on.
How Do I Manually Connect My PS4 Without a Controller?
Follow the steps below to connect your PS4 without a controller manually.
- Connect the USB cable to the controller.
- Connect the other end of the USB cable to the PS4’s USB port.
- Turn on your PS4 by pressing the power button.
- Thanks to the USB cable connection, your controller automatically connects with the PS4 when the console turns on.
How to Connect PS4 Controller Without USB After Factory Reset
Follow the steps below to connect your PS4 controller without a USB after a factory reset.
- Press the power button of your PS4 console to turn it off.
- Connect your controllers to the PS4 console.
- Wait for the controllers to light up orange.
- Press the power button to turn on the PS4 with the controller.
- Long press the System button for about five seconds.
- Press the power button of the controllers.
- This process should connect the controllers successfully.
How to Connect PS4 Controller Without USB on PC
Use the steps below to connect your PS4 controller without a USB on your PC.
- Go to the PS4 dashboard and open Settings.
- Select Devices, and from the options listed, choose Bluetooth Devices.
- Use the PS4 remote or a different PS4 controller.
- Press the PS button and the Share button simultaneously for a few seconds.
- This procedure will display the PS4 pad on the Bluetooth devices screen.
- Click on the PS4 pad option to connect the PS4 controller.
- You’re good to go.
How to Connect PS4 Controller With USB
Use the steps below to connect your PS4 controller to a USB.
- Press the PS4 power button to turn it on.
- Plug in a USB cable to the USB port on the console.
- Plug the cable’s micro USB side into your PS4 controller’s USB port.
- Press the PS button on your controller until it lights blue. If this procedure doesn’t work, try using a different cable.
- From the listed options, select the profile of your choice.
- You’re good to go.