According to safewise.com, about 4,300 burglaries happen in the United States every day. That translates to about 1.6 million in a year. About 72% of the thefts occur in residential property.
These statistics point out the fact that home security is a significant issue that needs to be addressed. With the advancement of technology, many devices promise to secure your home. Among these gadgets are the smart locks.
Among the many smart locks in the market include the Schlage Connect, Schlage Sense, and Kwikset Kevo. In this article, we want to take you through the three products, their features, and specifications and see if any of them stands out as the winner.
Quick Comparison Table & Our Pick!
This as you would expect from us is an EPIC post so grab a coffee before you start and see how we cut through every product and review it with precision. IF YOU ARE SHORT ON TIME and just need to know the results of our reviews , CHECK THE RESULTS TABLE BELOW!
Key by Amazon + Cloud Cam, Amazon Echo Plus, Samsung SmartThings
Apple HomeKit, Schlage Home App
Kevo App (24 eKeys)
Alexa, Google Assistant
4.5 x 3 x 8
4.5 x 3.0 x 8.0
10.3 x 5.9 x 3.7
Similarities between the Schlage Connect Vs. Schlage Sense and Kwikset Kevo
- One fundamental similarity between the three locks is that they offer you smart control over your front door. Thus, you do not have to be at home physically to control the door.
- Their installation process is also quite similar. Nobody wants to buy a gadget that will give them problems setting it up. The manufacturers of the three smart locks seem to have understood that because they all have an easy installation process.
- Bluetooth connectivity is another feature that is common in the three smart locks. The feature enables connectivity with your Smartphone, which allows you to unlock the smart locks through the app.
- The three smart locks also come with a mobile application. The application enables you to control the door from your phone even when you are not at home. The mobile app is available for download for both iOS and Android devices.
- They also come with a keyhole for a standard key. This is just a backup option, and you may rarely use it.
- You can share access to your house with your friends and family through the mobile app. You can also revoke access using your Smartphone. The app also enables you to check the status of your door. You can check if you have closed the door or not and close it from your phone.
- The locks also keep track of who is coming into your house and who is leaving. With this, you can never miss a visitor
Let us now look at each product in-depth
- One of the outstanding features of the Schlage Connect is that you can join it to a Z-Wave smart home hub. Z-Wave allows you to monitor and control your home from wherever you are. It enables you to open your front door for a visitor even when you are not at home.
- Another feature of this smart lock is that you do not need a key to open. Therefore, you do not have to worry about you or your children misplacing the key. Each member of the family will get a four-digit code that is easy to remember, and they can use the code to access the door at any time. In case you have visitors for a few days, you can create for them a temporary code that they can use to open the door.
- The smart lock comes with a fingerprint-resistant touch screen. The feature ensures that unauthorized users cannot detect the numbers even after repeated use, which improves the security of your home.
- The smart lock features a built-in alarm technology. The alarm has three alert modes that will alert you when there is an activity, tamper, or forced entry. You will, therefore, know when someone is coming or leaving and also notify you of potential security threats.
- Schlage Connect uses 4 AA batteries, and they have an estimated battery life of a year. As such, the smart lock guarantees your security at your home even when there is a power blackout.
- The smart lock also supports Amazon Alexa, which means you can control it using your voice.
- The lock comes with a mobile app that you can download from the App Store or Google Play. The app assists you in accessing your smart lock through your phone.
- It has Bluetooth that allows connectivity with your phone so that you can open the door using the app
You can enjoy added security at your home with this smart lock at $190.
The smart door lock does not come with any subscription, which means you will be enjoying the advanced features for free after purchasing it.
As a buyer, you want a product that will add some elegance to your front door. As much as a product is functional, buyers may not buy it if it does not have an appealing design. They will look for another product with the same functionality, but good looking.
For the Schlage Connect, you will get it in matte black, aged bronze, nickel, and satin chrome design. With such a variety, you are free to choose your favourite and the one that matches with your door.
The product measures 4.5 x 5.1 x .2 inches and weighs 3.8 pounds.
Unlike many other smart locks, you do not add Schlage Connect to an existing deadbolt. You will have to do a full replacement. The setup process can be quite tricky if you have never installed a lock before. You can, therefore, get help from a friend or hire a locksmith to do it for you.
The Schlage Connect comes with all that you need for the installation.
To install the smart lock, you will first need to remove the deadbolt that is installed on your door. This will involve removing some screws on the surface of the deadbolt and two on the inside.
After removing the deadbolt, the next step is installing the Schlage Connect smart lock. First, secure the latch on the door using two of the four provided screws. Next, you should slide the keypad portion on to the outside part of the door.
Then note down the programming code and user codes that are on the back of the inside assembly. After that, plug the cable onto the assembly. Insert the four AA batteries. Then press the "Schlage" button at the top of the keypad, and the keypad will light up. Enter the codes and then connect it to your smart home hub so that you can manage the lock from your Smartphone.
- Highly durable
- Secure and reliable
- Amazon Alexa support
- Z-Wave integrate
- Easy to use
- Four to eight-digit code programming
- No Home kit integration
- How would you like it being able to control your front door lock through an app when you are away from your home? With the Schlage Sense, you do not have to worry about your kids misplacing the keys any longer. You can get yourself the Schlage Wi-Fi adapter and plug it near your lock. Connect the adapter to your home Wi-Fi, and you can now access your lock from anywhere using your Smartphone.
- You can download the Schlage sense app from App Store or Google Play Store and install it on your phone. The mobile app will guide you on how to pair your Smartphone with the lock via Bluetooth. When you finish the pairing, you can now lock and unlock the door using your phone.
- The smart lock comes with a touch screen. You can have an access code that you can use to open and close the door instead of using a key. You can also share access with your friends and family members through the app.
- You also do not need to worry if you cannot remember whether you locked the door or not. You can check the status on your phone and lock it from wherever you are.
- The smart lock runs on AA batteries that have long battery life. As such, you are sure that your home is secure even when there is no power.
- If you have an Apple phone or an Apple TV, you will love this smart lock as it can work with the devices using the Apple home kit. The device also works with Siri's voice control only. You can, therefore, control the lock by using your voice. For example, you can say, "Hey Siri, open the door," and the door will automatically open.
- The smart lock also features a built-in alarm. The alarm senses activities and alerts you through your phone. The alarm will also notify you when there is a possible breach of security.
- The device comes with a three-year electronics warranty.
- Schlage Sense is ANSI Grade 1 & /BHMA certified, one of only two locks in our comparison with the rating. Grade 1 is the highest rating any deadbolt can receive.
- Although Sense works with Google Assistant, to use it on Google Assistant-enabled devices, consumers need to connect the deadbolt to the Schlage Sense Wi-Fi Adapter, which is not sold with the kit.
You will get the Schlage sense smart lock at $199.
You do not need any subscriptions to enjoy the features.
The smart lock comes in a stylish design that looks elegant on your door.
The product measures 4.5 x 3 x 8 inches, and it weighs 3.4 pounds.
Installing the Schlage Sense is an easy process that will take you only a few minutes. The installation is a one-person job. The smart lock runs on batteries, and therefore you don't require any hand wiring. As such, all you need is a screwdriver to screw it to your door.
The smart lock comes with a feature known as Snap n Stay that helps to hold the lock to the door while you look for your screwdriver. The product comes with detailed and easy to understand instructions on how to do the installation.
- Highly durable
- Secure and reliable
- Good integrations
- Apple home kit support
- Four to eight-digit programming
- Easy to use
- Does not support Amazon Alexa
- Kevo keeps your family secure with its location detection. The smart lock knows if you and your phone are inside or outside your house before unlocking. If the phone is inside the house, the smart lock does not unlock even if somebody touches it.
- The smart lock also features a touch to open Bluetooth smart lock. When you are outside with your phone, the smart lock will sense when you are approaching, and it will unlock when you touch it.
- The smart lock also comes with advanced smart key security. This is a technology that provides strong resistance against undetectable entry methods and forced entry.
- With this smart lock, you get to know exactly who is locking or unlocking your door. You can track the user activity in your app and access the lock history so you can tell who locked or unlocked your door. You can also enable notifications and alerts so that you can get a notification on your phone each time your door is locked or unlocked.
- You can also give access to your friends or loved ones to your home by using your phone. Each smart lock comes with two Anytime Keys. One of the keys is for the owner, while the other one is for a family member or a friend with a compatible device. You can also get guest eKeys for your visitors for free, which will be automatically deleted after 24 hours.
- Kwikset is also ANSI grade 1/2 certified depends on the model you choose, so you know your house is in secure hands when you make a purchase
This touch-to-open smart keyless door lock comes at the cost of $109.99.
The Kwikset Kevo not only offers you functionality but also a touch of class at your door. It comes in a sleek design that is round in shape. You will get the smart lock in a satin nickel colour.
It measures 10.3 x 5.9 x 3.7 inches and weighs 3.5 pounds.
Remove your existing deadbolt by removing the screws. Next, install the Kwikset Kevo smart lock. You can follow the installation steps on the Kevo app. If you want to protect your phone from getting dirty or getting damaged as you perform the setup, print the instructions beforehand.
When you are through with the installation, insert 4 AA batteries into the battery pack.
Download and install the Kevo app, which is available for both iOS and Android devices. Open the app and tap on "Get Started." If you do not have a Kevo account, you should tap on "Create Account," enter your details, and press on the sign in.
Kevo will request for permission for various features like Bluetooth and location. You require Bluetooth for the app to work with your phone.
- Reliable and secure
- Has a great design
- Flexible mobile app
- LED technology
- Highly durable
- Weak finger unlock
Differences between Kwikset Kevo and Schlage
Kwikset Kevo looks like a standard lock that features a touch to open technology while Schlage locks feature a built-in touch keypad.
Kwikset Kevo creates 25 eKeys, which you can share with friends and family. Schlage allows you to create 30 pin codes.
- Is Kwikset or Schlage better? Connect Schlage is a better product both in terms of technological advancements as well as value for money. A differential product and an industry leader in the smart locks segment, so it has our vote!
- Are Baldwin and Kwikset the same company? Technically Yes. Baldwin is a product suite of Spectrum Brands, a company focussing on up-market security solutions with state-of-the-art technology while Kwikset is a sister company focusing on the largest, more mass budget-oriented audience. In short, pound for pound value, feature-to-feature comparison, Kwikset is a better value for money.
- What is the best smart lock for a home? Schlage Connect based on our thorough review above.
The Schlage smart locks are more secure than the Kwikset Kevo. That means the Schlage performs better than the Kwikset Kevo. On the other hand, Schlage Connect wins over Schlage Sense as it offers you all the functionality features that you need. You can connect to Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and you can also have the auto-lock time.
Schlage Connect is keyless and comes with a code for entry. You can also connect to Z-Wave, which enables you to control your home wherever you are. With that being said, Connect takes the day.
Schlage is one of the leading manufacturers of quality security systems for your home. And that is why we drop the Kwikset Kevo. Therefore, between the two Schlage locks, we recommend the Schlage Connect. It is easy to install and use instantly. You can connect it to the Z-Wave smart home hub and control everything remotely.
It has a key, SmartCode, and fingerprint locking system, so you can give access to only the trusted people in your circle for easy access. Additionally, it works with Key by Amazon plus Cloud Cam, Amazon Echo Plus, and Samsung SmartThings.
What’s more? You have guaranteed battery life for one year, and that is why you’ll worry little when there is a power outage as your system will continue securing your door.
Current Best Selling Models