Whether you’re a gamer or a workaholic – it’s easy to lose track while in front of the computer. But if the reminder comes in the form of back pains and stiffness – you need to bring home the best gaming chair.
Gaming chairs are ideal for those who spend long hours on the computer. They have unique features like deep-recline curved backrests, adjustable armrests, footrests, etc. Simply put, their ergonomic design reduces pressure on the body to provide comfort and maintain good posture.
Today, we are going to discuss gaming chairs and how to choose one. We have also reviewed some of the best chairs in various categories. So read on!
Table Of Contents
- 1 What Is Special About A Gaming Chair?
- 2 Is A Gaming Chair Actually Good?
- 3 Best Gaming Chair Buyer’s Guide: Features to Consider
- 4 Best Gaming Chair: Top 8 Chairs for Support and Comfort
- 5 Best Overall Gaming Chair
- 6 Best Premium Gaming Chair
- 7 Best Gaming Chair With Footrest
- 8 Best Gaming Chair For Teens & Kids
- 9 Best White Gaming Chair
- 10 OSP Home Furnishings Xeno Ergonomic Adjustable Gaming Chair
- 11 Best Gaming Chair For Heavy Person
- 12 Best Budget Gaming Chair
- 13 Best Gaming Chair & Desk Bundle
- 14 Best Gaming Chair FAQs
- 15 Why are Gaming Chairs So Uncomfortable?
- 16 How Do You Sit Comfortably in a Gaming Chair?
- 17 Are Gaming Chairs or Office Chairs Better for Gaming?
- 18 Are gaming chairs good for long hours?
- 19 Why do gaming chairs recline?
- 20 Do you need lumbar support for a gaming chair?
- 21 How do I keep my gaming chair from cracking?
- 22 Why Do Gaming Chairs Have Pillows?
- 23 Why Do Gaming Chairs Have Wings that Feel so Uncomfortable?
- 24 Final Words
What Is Special About A Gaming Chair?
A gaming chair is designed for gamers who spend long hours playing computer games. They need chairs that strike a balance between comfort and support. They have high backrests with a lumbar curve in the lower back area to minimize the pressure on the spine.
In addition, they recline between 90 and 130 degrees, so you can sit upright – or lean back and relax when you take a break. Plus, the best gaming chair has adjustable armrests to neutralize the pressure on the shoulders or neck. Also, it allows seated movements and soft foaming for comfort.
The reduced pressure on the back muscles and spine provides exceptional comfort as the chair gently cradles your body. Plus, thanks to the recline feature, you can stretch your muscles – or simply take a quick nap while sitting on a gaming chair!
Is A Gaming Chair Actually Good?
Gaming chairs provide comfort while helping you maintain proper posture during long hours of gameplay. A good chair is also designed to provide excellent support for your body. These are possible because of the cushioning, ergonomic shape, adjustable footrest, etc.
Improper seating causes discomfort, pain, and damage to hips, back, neck, shoulders, arms, and elbow. It can lead to various issues like indigestion, migraines, stress or depression, etc.r But gaming chairs, designed to correct your posture, can alleviate and prevent these.
Best Gaming Chair Buyer’s Guide: Features to Consider
At the time of buying a gaming chair, here are the features you must consider:
1. Deep Recline Backrest
An essential feature that sets a gaming chair apart from ergonomic office chairs is that the backrest reclines as far back as 135 degrees – or even more. During long hours of gaming or working, this feature allows you to lean back, stretch your muscles, and relax.
2. Neck Rest
A gaming chair’s cushioning includes an external neck pillow to provide support to your neck, shoulders, and upper back. The neck pillow is positioned to fit the natural alignment of the cervical spine, i.e., the neck.
3. Lumbar Pillow
A gaming chair’s backrest is curved in the lower back region. The best gaming chair may have a lumbar support pillow in this section for comfort and support. It fits the inward curvature of the lower spine and prevents slouching as you sit and play for long.
4. Adjustable Armrest
Armrests support your elbows and reduce shoulder and back strain, especially when you play lengthy games like mission-based games or multiplayer role-playing games. And adjustable armrests allow quick customization to suit the user’s physical structure.
5. Adjustable Footrest
Footrests keep your feet firm and flat, which is particularly helpful when the desk is too high, and you need to raise the seat height. Adjustable footrests can be lifted to provide a base for the feet when you recline the backrest to rest.
6. Soft Foaming
The soft foam on the seat and the backrest can cradle your back and buttocks to ensure you are comfortable. Plus, if it’s high-density foam, it provides softness and bounciness. And if the chair has memory foam, it will adjust with your body temperature and shape.
7. Breathable and Durable Cover Material
Look for materials like leather or PU leather, which are soft and feel comfortable for your skin. It should be absorbent enough to prevent odor due to sweat. That’s why mesh or fabric are excellent additions to the chair cover to prevent bacteria.
Best Gaming Chair: Top 8 Chairs for Support and Comfort
We have curated a list of the best chairs based on lumbar support, neck support, armrests, footrest, and foaming of the chairs. We also went through several user reviews to know which chairs they liked best and what they liked or disliked about them.
So, here’s a list of the top gaming chairs based on these considerations
Best Overall: Dowinx Massage Gaming Chair
Best Premium: Merax Gaming Recliner Gaming Chair
Best with Footrest: OHAHO Racing Style Gaming Chair
Best for Teens & Kids: DualThunder Gaming Office Chair
Best White: OSP White Gaming chair
Best for Heavy Person: FANTASYLAB Big and Tall Gaming Chair
Best Budget: BestOffice High-Back Gaming Chair
Best Chair & Desk Bundle: Homall Racing Chair and Computer Desk
Best Overall Gaming Chair
Considering features like lumbar support, neck and art support, footrest, etc., we have found our top choice. The Dowinx Massage Gaming Chair, with characteristics that cater to all your needs, is the best gaming chair overall.
This chair is engineered to provide premium-level luxury and support to your neck, back, waist, and hips. The high and ergonomic backrest is equipped with a headrest and waist rest.
Another excellent feature is the lumbar support pillow with a massager. So if you suffer from aching back and waist, this chair will relax you and alleviate your problems in no time.
Further, the backrest has a winged structure to cradle your back and maintain your posture. In addition, the chair comes with a retractable footrest that provides support for your feet.
- Material – PU Leather
- Tilt Angle – 90-165 Degrees
- Capacity – 350 lb
- High-quality and eco-friendly materials
- Adjustable height for leg support and vision alignment
- Available in a wide range of colors
- Sturdy base and construction
- 360-degree swivel and wheels for mobility
- Gas cylinder problems reported after prolonged use
- Slightly narrow compared to the weight limit
Best Premium Gaming Chair
The next product on our list will cost you a small fortune – but it’s worth the price. The Merax Gaming Recliner Gaming Chair is a luxury chair for ultimate comfort, support, and convenience.
With infinite position locks, you can choose any backrest angle. You can sit erect for excellent support – or push it back to 135 degrees if you wish to rest.
Plus, the flip-up footrest is an added advantage if your legs feel tired from staying down for a long time. Meanwhile, the neck pillow and lumbar support will keep your back well-supported.
But what gives this gaming chair a luxe edge are the additional features – like the side storage pocket and the cup holder. And you cannot ignore the stylish look of this recliner in a sophisticated black shade!
- Material – Leather
- Tilt Angle – 90-135 Degrees
- Capacity – 275 lb
- Round base for support and stability
- 360-degree swivel for easy movement
- Sturdy metal frame for durability
- Thick, high-density sponge seating
- Stylish design and luxury features
- Tricky neck pillow adjustment while sitting
- May take time to learn to recline too far back
Best Gaming Chair With Footrest
A gaming chair designed for comfort – the OHAHO Racing Style Gaming Chair is an affordable and stylish product. Its retractable footrest is easy to adjust to give your feet some rest.
One of the best things is that you can comfortably place your feet on the footrest even while reclining. Additionally, the chair has adjustable and wide armrests to support your elbows.
This chair is for people who practically live on their chairs – because its backrest leans back to 180 degrees. So you can rest on it between work shifts and long gaming sessions.
We also love the USB electric massager in the lumbar cushion. Thus, it alleviates fatigue and pain – and is one of the best chairs for back pain.
- Material – PU Leather
- Tilt Angle – 90-180 Degrees
- Capacity – 300 lb
- Adjustable height for better line of sight
- The smooth and tough rocking of the backrest
- Individual parts adjustable to fit your body
- Memory foam in the seat to adjust to your buddy
- Easy movement with a 360-degree swivel
- Armrests slightly short in length
Best Gaming Chair For Teens & Kids
Youngsters who spend a lot of time in one position can end up with physical deformities. So, they need a good chair – like the DualThunder Gaming Office Chair, the best gaming chair for kids and teens.
This product is designed to provide excellent support for a child’s back, waist, and neck. Plus, the ergonomic design of the backrest, padded neck rest, and armrests add to the comfort level.
In addition, the seat has a high-density sponge that’s extremely comfortable. Plus, the breathable mesh cover keeps away bacteria and odor to protect a young gamer’s sensitive skin.
The tilt control lever and the rocking amplitude adjustment crank make this chair ideal not only for kids but also adults. Plus, it’s height-adjustable to cater to the needs of both young and adult users and ensure that you have a better line of sight with the screen.
- Material – PU Leather + Mesh
- Tilt Angle – 90-120 Degrees
- Capacity – 250-330 lb
- Available in a wide range of colors
- Complete support with neck pillow and armrests
- Smooth-rolling casters and 360-degree swivel for mobility
- Strong and durable structural and cover materials
- The best gaming chair under 100 dollars
- No footrest to give leg support to shorter legs
- May take time to figure out the assembly process
Best White Gaming Chair
This white gaming chair is straightforward to assemble and is adjustable in many different ways. You can adjust the back, the seat, the arms, and the height, which is handy. We’ve had it for a few weeks now, and it’s been comfortable. The only downside is that the fabric seems thin, so we’ll see how it holds up over time. But overall, we’re delighted with this purchase.
It’s very comfortable and adjustable, which is excellent for gamers. The price was also very reasonable. We’ve only had it for a few weeks, but it’s been great. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a good, adjustable, and affordable office chair!
- The backrest can be reclined and locked at any angle between 90° & 180°
- The seat can be adjusted up and down to find the perfect position
- The armrests are adjustable in 4 directions to suit any position
- Built* in lumbar support and headrest pillow for ultimate comfort
- 360° swivel and 5 smooth* rolling caster wheels for easy mobility
- The backrest cannot be reclined if the seat is at its lowest setting
- The armrests do not adjust in height; they can only be moved horizontally
- The chair is not suitable for people over 6’2″
Best Gaming Chair For Heavy Person
Looking for the best gaming chair for big guys and gals spending hours on the computer? Then the FANTASYLAB Big and Tall Gaming Chair, with a large seat, backrest, and weight capacity, is ideal.
This chair is designed to alleviate back and waist pain that’s common among heavy people. Plus, there’s more to it than its high weight capacity – like the 22” seat and the 24.8” backrest.
We love the heavy-duty base with wheels that offer convenient movements and handle big boys and girls. In addition, it has wide armrests that can be adjusted in four directions to provide complete comfort.
You’ll also find it comfortable to sit on it for long hours. While the memory foam seat cushion adjusts to your buttocks and tailbone, the lumbar support helps your waist and back.
- Material – PU Leather
- Tilt Angle – 90-160 Degrees
- Capacity – 440 lb
- High-quality, smooth wheels that make no noise
- Sturdy metal frame to tackle heavy users
- Wide and soft seats and backrest for comfort
- Heavy-duty lever for better adjustability
- Easy to adjust and lock rocking mechanism
- Basic reclining issues were noticed after long use
- May take time to assemble the chair
Best Budget Gaming Chair
The first product on our list is the best gaming chair under $200 – the BestOffice High-Back Gaming Chair. It is one of the highest-rated chairs, and its popularity is due to more than its affordability.
This chair has a high backrest thickly lined with high-quality cushions for ultimate comfort. The shape of the backrest is such that your neck, back, and waist are cradled completely and remain protected.
So you don’t have to worry about developing back pains, muscle stiffness, headaches, etc. And, if you already have these issues, this is the best gaming chair for back pain to provide support within a small budget.
You’ll love the soft and bouncy seat with high permeability to prevent bacteria or odor. In addition, it is made of high-quality materials that last long and can handle heavy movements and swiveling.
- Material – PU Leather
- Tilt Angle – 90-135 Degrees
- Capacity – 250 lb
- Adjustable lumbar and neck support pillows
- Smooth-rolling casters for all-round movement
- Excellent support for people with back pain
- Easy to assemble in 10-15 minutes
- Thick gas lift for quick adjustments
- Could use a slightly thicker foaming
- The armrests are a little on the lower side
Best Gaming Chair & Desk Bundle
Are you planning to buy a desk and a chair together for your gaming setup? The Homall Racing Chair and Computer Desk is the best gaming chair and desk bundle for your home.
This bundle is budget-friendly, with a sturdy table and chair that match each other. Thus, the combination adds a stylish touch to the room and can be the accent piece.
The desk is large enough to accommodate a 40” monitor while leaving space for hand movements. And the Z-shaped desk base provides excellent support and sturdiness.
As for the chair, it is easy to move and use and has a rocking function. In addition, its seat is made of thick, high-density foam that easily matches your body shape.
- Material – PU Leather
- Tilt Angle – 90-150 Degrees
- Capacity – 300 lb
- Multi-functional desk with handy features
- Sturdy desk with a large surface
- The chair tilt angle range is ideal for work and rest
- Soft padded seat with skin-friendly cover
- Affordable gaming chair and table combo
- Could use a footrest
- May take time to identify all assembly parts
Best Gaming Chair FAQs
Why are Gaming Chairs So Uncomfortable?
A gaming chair can feel uncomfortable due to improper foaming or the overall chair size. Further, It is possible that the chair is not properly adjusted to fit your body. But one factor that you shouldn’t rule out is your inability to adjust to a new seating position quickly.
Factors that lead to discomfort even when you own the best gaming chair include –
- Small seat
- Short, narrow, and/or curved backrest
- Low armrests
- Low height from the ground
- Lack of proper foaming and pillows
- Poor-quality, non-breathable cover material
Sometimes, lack of proper adjustment and poor sitting practices may also lead to discomfort while using gaming chairs.
How Do You Sit Comfortably in a Gaming Chair?
A gaming chair has many curves, pillows, and other features. So, you must make sure that you sit properly in the chair.
Configure the chair in the following way:
- Lumbar Pillow:
Place the lumbar pillow to fill the gap in the lower back curvature. It should not be too high or too low to prevent the curling of the hips, which can be uncomfortable.
The armrests should be level with the desk to keep the arms at a right angle. If the armrests are too high or too low, your shoulders and elbows will be strained.
If your feet aren’t firmly grounded after configuring the armrests, your desk is too high. A footrest can solve the problem by giving your feet a flat resting surface.
- Neck Pillow:
The neck pillow should sit in such a way that it fills the gap in the nape’s curve. In this position, it will give great support to the neck, shoulders, and upper back.
Once the adjustments have been made, you won’t need to change them repeatedly.
- Every time you sit in the chair after that, tuck your buttocks deep into the seat.
- Then position your back to match the lumbar support pillow or curve.
- After that, plant your feet firmly on the ground or the footrests.
- Also, keep your elbows on the armrests at 90 degrees.
- Then, pull the chair close enough to the desk. Doing so will make sure that you don’t have to bend over or lift your arms to play.
- Next, lift your chest and raise your shoulder blades slightly to keep your upper body upright.
- Finally, tuck your chin back slightly to push your upper body back a little to sit at a 90-degree angle.
Here’s a video that explains how you should sit in a gaming chair to feel good comfort and support. While these rules for sitting in a gaming chair may seem too much initially, your body will eventually thank you.
Are Gaming Chairs or Office Chairs Better for Gaming?
The main difference between office and gaming chairs is the reclining angle range of the backrest. Office chairs don’t recline much and keep you upright. But gaming chairs lean far back and are more flexible – whether you want to relax or keep your spine straight.
Initially, the “best gaming chair vs office chair” debate can confuse you. After all, both are ergonomically designed to offer support to your back, arms, and neck. But a gaming chair is far less restrictive in seating, though users often misuse the feature and tilt back too much.
You should also remember that a standard computer chair with a low backrest is often used in offices. These non-ergonomic chairs are not as good as specialized high-back office chairs and are only chosen for the lost cost. They can harm your back and waist in the long run.
Are gaming chairs good for long hours?
A high-end gaming chair is designed to provide comfort and support while maintaining your body position. It also allows you to relax and have seating movements. So, if you sit in one place for hours to work or play games, a gaming chair is highly suggested.
Why do gaming chairs recline?
While sitting in a gaming chair at 90-105 degrees, you’re mostly upright with proper support. But change the position to 110-115 degrees frequently for seating movements to reduce fatigue and improve circulation. You can also lean further back to rest a little.
Do you need lumbar support for a gaming chair?
The USP of a gaming chair is its ergonomic design with lumbar support. It is engineered to correct your posture, prevent slouching, and provide support to the lower back. Without lumbar support, you’ll experience fatigue and pain during long hours in front of the computer.
How do I keep my gaming chair from cracking?
Gaming chairs made of synthetic leather, also called faux or PU leather, are prone to cracking. You can prevent that by keeping it away from the sunlight. Also, use a chair cover and clean it with a damp cloth. And apply a leather conditioner to keep it soft.
Why Do Gaming Chairs Have Pillows?
Gaming chairs have pillows on the neck and waist regions. These pillows sit in the curved areas of the spine to provide proper support and reduce the pressure on the muscles and bones of these regions. As a result, you will feel comfortable for long hours.
Why Do Gaming Chairs Have Wings that Feel so Uncomfortable?
Most gaming chairs have wings on the backrest. They make the backrest curved to provide posture therapy. But they can also be restrictive for tall, bulky, or broad-backed users who prefer flat backrests or winged backrests that are wide enough for them.
You may forget to check the clock or stretch your arms and back while exploring a virtual world of games. That’s why we suggest bringing home the best gaming chair for proper support and comfort.
But is a gaming chair good for office work? If you work from home, this chair will help you sit erect, get seated movements, and lean back to relax.
So bring home a computer chair – and keep pack and neck pain at bay!